Apple Touch 5G thread.
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 367

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else using an (ipod) Touch 5G?

I sold one of my Touch 4Gs and bought  a Touch 5G 64GB.

Currently mostly using it with my Hifi-M8, but it performs quite well on its on as a stand alone player.
I think it performs better than the 4G, with its larger RAM and better chip.
It also seems less fatiguing for me and has more micro details.

Also the UI is super snappy!

Usually I use Flacplayer App on my touch 4G, iphone 4 and  Touch 5G.

Wondering how other users are finding the new Touch 5G.

Regards
Expatinjapan.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 367
The iTouch 5G has a very very good sound quality, a totally different beast from the past iTouch and even iPhone 5S.

I do find the SQ better than some of the much more expensive audiophile player out there.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 367
I've relatively recently gotten the Touch 5G and have been somewhat amazed by how good it sounds.  It sounds better than and has replaced my previous portable rig of Touch 4G and various quite good amps.  I don't have any experience with the high-end standalone DAPS and would be curious to hear from those who have heard both those and the current Touch.  I'm really happy with it...

I've been playing lately with the new Onkyo HF player app.  It plays high-res files to capable external DACs (something like the Centrance M8 or, via the CCK, the Apex Glacier and its ilk) but also does upsampling on the Touch for ordinary files.  Not entirely sure yet but think it may add something.  Worth a look for those interested.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 367
I've asked this before about the iphones, but never had a response. To my knowledge the ipod touch is capable of playing 24 bit m,usic, but it downgrades them to 24/48? Is this still the case. If it does is this down to ios limitations? Seems a bit odd to me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 367
I have a fiio x3 and am planning on getting an iPod touch 5g tomorrow. I find the x3 much better than the iPod classic 7g. I used to have a classic 5g that I had rockboxed. I liked that better than the 7. I will try to put up some thoughts soon.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 367

I sold my 4G and upped to 5G long ago. Also added a new amp to the mix which is safely tucked inside! The sound is incredible and I'm hearing stuff in music I never seamed to hear before. I'm I'm still using the stock 5G cable but since it stays on my desk I don't really mind the mess.

Thought I was the only one with a 5G in here :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 367
Fostex HP-P1. The case some complain about it, but I actually like it with all the velcro and it protects it quite well without heating it up (there are openings in front & back for air circulation) and the underneath of the unit barely feels warm.

Just for the record, then you're not listening to the Touch, which is now your transport. The Fostex is both DAC and amp and is now your source. The Touch 5G has no audio line out and can't be amped that way.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 367
I've been listening on my iPod touch for about ten hours now and so far it's very decent sound. Definitely a surprise. I don't like any of apple's own equalization but I did find Accudio decent. I have no problems with my Sony XBA4's and Sony MDR 10r but when I use my Beyerdynamic dt880 I can see that I might need some amplification down the road. The Fostex HP-P1 might be just what I need. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T70 coming in and I'm not sure the iPod will run them we'll.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back