Apple Music... Any other fans?
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #32 of 38
Apple TV is pretty good, their content of series and movies is solid. I did some comparing last night with Apple Music and Tidal. Just something missing from Apple Music. It sounds fine, much better than it used to sound but Tidal has more depth, slightly more detail, and overall I can't unhear what my brain is saying...

After reading your post decided to give tidal a try. At first thought the improvements where due to volume difference tidal is louder. After adjusting volume still felt tidal sounded better. My spouse been on a tidal trial and my apple Subscription is almost over.
We where going go with amazon but then found the Best Buy tidal subscription and the price was much better than buying from tidal. We ended up getting a year plan with tidal. Here’s a link to Best Buy subscription they have tidal at what I felt was a good value.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...cat1590505113231&type=page&usc=All Categories

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 38
Yeah, the Apple ecosystem makes everything much easier.
I really wish Apple would re-release an "audiophile" grade iPod complete with high quality components, large storage capacity, and multiple output options. I highly doubt they would, but one can dream.

Does anyone have any recommended USB or Dongle DACs to be used with iPhone?
I was able to download Apple Music on my new iBasso DX300 & it’s working fine. Just listened to it on a plane trip and really enjoyed being able to use Apple Music on a good DAP. I know that’s not quite the same as having an audiophile-grade iPod, but depending on the OS, some DAPs will let you download and play Apple Music.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #34 of 38
After reading your post decided to give tidal a try. At first thought the improvements where due to volume difference tidal is louder. After adjusting volume still felt tidal sounded better. My spouse been on a tidal trial and my apple Subscription is almost over.
We where going go with amazon but then found the Best Buy tidal subscription and the price was much better than buying from tidal. We ended up getting a year plan with tidal. Here’s a link to Best Buy subscription they have tidal at what I felt was a good value.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat1590505113231&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=brand_facet=Brand~TIDAL&sc=Global&st=categoryid$pcmcat1590505113231&type=page&usc=All Categories
Hadn't heard about Best Buy's Tidal promotion. I've been on Tidal for 4+ years and have tried to find justification to move from it but can't. Qobuz sounded a bit better/louder but was missing too much that I need.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #35 of 38

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat1590505113231&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=brand_facet=Brand~TIDAL&sc=Global&st=categoryid$pcmcat1590505113231&type=page&usc=All Categories
Did you make sure to go into Apple Music settings to change stream/download settings to Hi-Res?

I feel like people frequently forget to do that since on iPhone many apps’ settings are housed under phone settings and not individual application settings.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #36 of 38
Yeah, the Apple ecosystem makes everything much easier.
I really wish Apple would re-release an "audiophile" grade iPod complete with high quality components, large storage capacity, and multiple output options. I highly doubt they would, but one can dream.

Does anyone have any recommended USB or Dongle DACs to be used with iPhone?

I'm using the Hiby FC3. It's fully compatible with hi-res and lossless (even has MQA for Tidal)... Also, while it may not be a powerhouse, it operates within the current limit for iPhones, unlike many other dongles. And it's relatively cheap.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #37 of 38
Still using CDs and cassettes lol so never bothered with streaming services (paying for streaming of course I use YouTube to listen at times like everyone else) until the phone data plan included it for free perpetually

Before I was just like let me rip my CDs to my iPhone but got the skip errors on some tracks and just too lazy to do it for all.

Apple Music has really worked out nicely though. First of all I mostly listen in the car (and since I had to cut my old school Jag loose last year now no cassette player) and then on my phone (even though I got WALKMAN and DISCMAN they too precious to always take out). So the phone is the centerpiece. I tried out DACs/amps like the Chord Mojo and could hear no real difference/even preferred the output from the computer or phone (or phone dongle), so I was definitely not going to get an audiophile DAP (things like WM1A or A55 only ones that sometimes tempt me but even the latter seems unnecessary and the former just way too much).

The best feature was downloading for offline use. That made me a fan rather than always having to stream it over data.

Even AAC sounded good enough basically all of the time when in the car or outside, so now that it supports lossless, just excellent, and "free" (with the overpriced phone plan lol).

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 38
Did you make sure to go into Apple Music settings to change stream/download settings to Hi-Res?

I feel like people frequently forget to do that since on iPhone many apps’ settings are housed under phone settings and not individual application settings.

Good recommendations yes I changed the setting on iPad and still felt tidal was the better sounding. I think it would also depend on iem/headphone used on the variations it was very close with the mest it was more noticeable. There a lot I like about Apple Music I have over 8000 songs and it is awesome to have access to my collection thru apple. Love how it automatically updates them to the highest quality available.

My trial with Apple Music thou ends next month. Since have 7 months left with Apple TV and 3 months with apple news. I decided when they expire I will probably go with apple one plan in the future.
The tidal Best Buy deals allowed me to get a family plan at $15 a month, since spouse uses android system tidal was a better fit for us right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back