Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #543 of 871
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #544 of 871
As someone who's been pretty skeptical of Apple Music, I'm grateful they kicked the competition fully into lossless audio. I've been slowly bouncing around from service to service to try them out. My experience so far is that Tidal sounds better than Amazon HD. I know Apple's service sounds good but as a company they're completely aligned to the 256 kbps AAC standard. Even if they mean to embrace lossless, the whole organization can't do it overnight. They've been pretty silent ever since the "launch" of lossless, part of me still thinks the initial announcement was little more than a marketing push.

But hey, if Spotify starts offering a lossless tier at a competitive price to lay down stakes, I would just switch to them for the first time. Then Apple truly did change the game! :smile:

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #545 of 871
As someone who's been pretty skeptical of Apple Music, I'm grateful they kicked the competition fully into lossless audio. I've been slowly bouncing around from service to service to try them out. My experience so far is that Tidal sounds better than Amazon HD. I know Apple's service sounds good but as a company they're completely aligned to the 256 kbps AAC standard. Even if they mean to embrace lossless, the whole organization can't do it overnight. They've been pretty silent ever since the "launch" of lossless, part of me still thinks the initial announcement was little more than a marketing push.

But hey, if Spotify starts offering a lossless tier at a competitive price to lay down stakes, I would just switch to them for the first time. Then Apple truly did change the game! :smile:
You should check Apple Music out once more. The majority of my playlists, covering thousands of songs, is now at least lossless, some are even high-res lossless. I dare to assume that Tidal and the others don’t offer more lossless than Apple does even today and they are still releasing more and more of their existing catalog in lossless.

Imo the only reason not to opt in for Apple is if you like features of other services better (like better suggestions in Tidal of Spotify, for example) or if you dislike Apple as a company.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #546 of 871
You should check Apple Music out once more. The majority of my playlists, covering thousands of songs, is now at least lossless, some are even high-res lossless. I dare to assume that Tidal and the others don’t offer more lossless than Apple does even today and they are still releasing more and more of their existing catalog in lossless.

Imo the only reason not to opt in for Apple is if you like features of other services better (like better suggestions in Tidal of Spotify, for example) or if you dislike Apple as a company.
Spotify have dropped the ball on this one. I am switching to Tidal.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #547 of 871

Disagree. BluOS can't access Apple Music and it can access all the other major streamers, as well as many niche players. Airplay performance is inconsistent at best and will always drain your device battery. Even something as basic as corporate synergy doesn't exist with Apple Music. The entire rest of Apple both software and hardware divisions have not changed their product strategy since lossless and HD was announced. You could say this is an unfair comparison but all the other streamers are incentivized to work with other companies whereas Apple doesn't and currently has shown no interest in working with other companies to extend the reach of AM (other than the Android version of their app, which is an MVP in the tech world).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #548 of 871
Airplay performance is inconsistent at best and will always drain your device battery.
using airplay from my mac to apple tv is choppy and cuts out often, is this just common across the board with airplay?

i assume the Belkin SoundForm is just as bad as an AppleTV?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #549 of 871
Apple music is only great with apple products ,airplay and bluetooth

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #550 of 871
using airplay from my mac to apple tv is choppy and cuts out often, is this just common across the board with airplay?

i assume the Belkin SoundForm is just as bad as an AppleTV?
Airplay doesn’t work like Spotify or Tidal‘s Connect feature, so it has an extra layer where the signal loss can occur. If you have Apple Music you should be able to access it directly from the Apple TV but if you want to use Airplay on your HT receiver, your iPhone or iPad will be a bottleneck for the audio signal path. At least that’s how it was explained to me! :)

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #551 of 871
Apple music is only great with apple products ,airplay and bluetooth
Love Apple Music on my Macbook (usb to dac), but Airplay has been horrendous so far

Airplay doesn’t work like Spotify or Tidal‘s Connect feature, so it has an extra layer where the signal loss can occur. If you have Apple Music you should be able to access it directly from the Apple TV but if you want to use Airplay on your HT receiver, your iPhone or iPad will be a bottleneck for the audio signal path. At least that’s how it was explained to me! :)
i'm not too concerned about a bottleneck if its still CD quality tbh, mostly just want it to play without crapping out

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #553 of 871
i'm not too concerned about a bottleneck if its still CD quality tbh, mostly just want it to play without crapping out
To be accurate, it's not a bottleneck exactly. More like your iOS device is a hotspot for the Airplay end point. It's just another link in the chain where the signal can drop out, which is what could be happening to you.

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #554 of 871
To be accurate, it's not a bottleneck exactly. More like your iOS device is a hotspot for the Airplay end point. It's just another link in the chain where the signal can drop out, which is what could be happening to you.

there's only 3 links in the chain - source, router, airplay device

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #555 of 871
there's only 3 links in the chain - source, router, airplay device
Yeah and my point is with other streaming services connect feature, you only use your device as a remote. The connection is otherwise direct. Anyways I hope your streaming situation improves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back