Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #376 of 871
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #378 of 871
My Naim Uniti Nova plays Lossless 44khz via Airplay 2 from my iMac 🖥 across the room.

just to make sure, that device tells you it's ALAC / 16 bit, and not just playing AAC audio?

edit: in Music to Airplay on Apple TV it definitely shows Lossless played within AM, and 16bit output via airplay...

I assume if there was some ALAC/AAC conversion taking place, the logo wouldnt show up, or, if I switched source mid-track it would stop playing altogether, unless I'm missing a step in Apple's web of confusion here

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #380 of 871
Use the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) USB-C to USB-A for iPad and Lightning to USB-A CCK for iPhone. It matters.
This is correct. I used my lightning CCK with the same cable i have been using all along and got 192khz on the display. i ordered the Apple USB-C to USB-A female last night. Thanks again everyone for your answers.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #381 of 871
I've been researching parametric EQs for iOS/iPadOS and there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile out there. I have considered the Schiit Loki Mini+, but not sure that would yield the same results as a parametric EQ. I guess my best option right now is to use my Mac to stream Apple Music and EQ with software (Boom, eqMac, etc.)...

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #382 of 871
I've been researching parametric EQs for iOS/iPadOS and there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile out there. I have considered the Schiit Loki Mini+, but not sure that would yield the same results as a parametric EQ. I guess my best option right now is to use my Mac to stream Apple Music and EQ with software (Boom, eqMac, etc.)...

Qudelix 5K has PEQ and works well with iOS, headphone depending. I’ve had issues with getting Sundara’s to work via USB as the phone doesn’t give enough power to the 5K. But I imagine for less power-hungry headphones it’ll be great. Tons of options for EQ.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #383 of 871
Qudelix 5K has PEQ and works well with iOS, headphone depending. I’ve had issues with getting Sundara’s to work via USB as the phone doesn’t give enough power to the 5K. But I imagine for less power-hungry headphones it’ll be great. Tons of options for EQ.
The only full size headphones I have at the moment are the HD660S and HD800S.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #385 of 871
Does anyone like the Dolby Atmos "spacial audio" feature? I feel like it makes everything sound so artificial, and it almost makes me think that I'm doing something wrong with it. I mean I guess it's ok for improving the feeling of space, but at the cost of feeling like vocals and even some instruments are very far away and flattened out. I don't EQ usually either. What does everyone think of the Atmos feature? Do you use it or turn it off?

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #387 of 871
Does anyone like the Dolby Atmos "spacial audio" feature? I feel like it makes everything sound so artificial, and it almost makes me think that I'm doing something wrong with it. I mean I guess it's ok for improving the feeling of space, but at the cost of feeling like vocals and even some instruments are very far away and flattened out. I don't EQ usually either. What does everyone think of the Atmos feature? Do you use it or turn it off?
I love it for electronic music at this point. That’s all.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #388 of 871
Quick Q: the APK Mirror Apple Music v 3.6.0 beta works well on other android DAPs because we can use APK splitter apps to split the APK package. But not for DAPs like the AK DAPs that require the specific APKs themselves to be side loaded. Does anyone know where to find the APK itself? It’s the ARM64 one which would work with AK DAPs. Thanks everyone!

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #389 of 871

This is not a yes or no answer for me. I like the spatial feature with well made songs but there is a lot of junk currently available, unfortunately. I am sure this will improve over time when more and more songs get optimized for Atmos and to me this is a welcome additional feature for „just listening“, e.g. during work.

Actually, I purchased the Airpods Max with spatial audio in mind and I also like it for my phone calls. The noise cancellation feature of these headphones is _insane_! Much better than any Sony or AirPods Pro I tried. This will be great as soon as work travel will be back (airplane etc..) Also music reproduction with the AMax is much better than Airpods Pro.

I am looking forward to spatial audio with gyro support / head tracking, coming to Apple Music in the fall. I am sure this will be great fun. I love this feature with videos.

As soon as I am in the mood of really appreciating the songs and listen focused, I prefer the lossless option with my nice gear. Versatility is king!

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #390 of 871
I believe at this point 16/44 ALAC but I’ll check after the game is over!

seems I'm seeing more confirmation that its downgraded to AAC at some point in the chain

Will lossless audio work via Airplay 2 an… - Apple Community

Apple Music in its lossless form streamed via AirPlay isn't only limited to 44.1 kHz (as expected like said before): unfortunately it's turned into a lossy (AAC) stream. It has been confirmed from various sources. Don't ask me why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back