Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #301 of 871
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #302 of 871
My listening tests above, try the song!
How you hooking it up? Over AirPlay or turning on Spatial will both output at 256k aac. And Spatial does all other kinds of things to the music. Most are saying only sounds good on recent releases. I think only benefits cheap close headphone. But people saying if use camera adapter and a dac, Apple Music is true to the source. Apple even says need direct connection.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #303 of 871
hmm - I have spatial turned off and lossless on (not hi res lossless). "The Imperial Suite" from the Star Wars Rogue One sounds the same to me as the FLAC I have from the CD.

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #304 of 871
Can some one check if there is still the glitch on this album by using apple lossless. In AAC ot was present

between tracks 18 and 25 is like a skip or scratch glitch

893B1C81-BCDC-47F6-94FE-293F3731FC37.png

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #305 of 871
hmm - I have spatial turned off and lossless on (not hi res lossless). "The Imperial Suite" from the Star Wars Rogue One sounds the same to me as the FLAC I have from the CD.
How are you listening? I tried headphone out on a M1 macbook and a dac, both distorted my planars like crazy

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #306 of 871
How you hooking it up? Over AirPlay or turning on Spatial will both output at 256k aac. And Spatial does all other kinds of things to the music. Most are saying only sounds good on recent releases. I think only benefits cheap close headphone. But people saying if use camera adapter and a dac, Apple Music is true to the source. Apple even says need direct connection.
No spatial, direct on laptop out. Weird

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #308 of 871
How are you listening? I tried headphone out on a M1 macbook and a dac, both distorted my planars like crazy
I just tried this track on my M1 MacBook Air. I tried the following methods with Focal Celestee (don't have planars with me atm):

1. Old school AAC (lossless not enabled) on MacBook 3.5 jack = no bass distortion detected
  2. lossless to headphones on MacBook 3.5 jack (Audio MIDI can't be matched as the headphone jack is locked to 32 bit float) = no bass distortion detected
  3. lossless to DX300 in USB DAC mode with Audio MIDI matched to the track (24/44.1) = no bass distortion detected
  4. Qobuz to DX300 in USB DAC mode exclusive mode = I was unable to detect a difference between this and AM lossless
Are you sure you have enough power to drive the planars you are using?

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #309 of 871
How does the lossless on AM compared to Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, etc? Just curious
Honestly, for what it’s worth, I’m impressed and am hovering over saying it’s superior. Apple have always had amazing source as they’ve been able to hang for so long using just AAC. I’ve dropped tidal in favour.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #310 of 871
How does the lossless on AM compared to Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, etc? Just curious

Wouldn’t they all be the same if using direct output if coming from same masters? Kind of the point of lossless.

As said comparing Amazon to Apple over AirPlay is not a fair challenge since Apple is streaming lossy, so Amazon easily wins.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #311 of 871
I just tried this track on my M1 MacBook Air. I tried the following methods with Focal Celestee (don't have planars with me atm):

1. Old school AAC (lossless not enabled) on MacBook 3.5 jack = no bass distortion detected
  2. lossless to headphones on MacBook 3.5 jack (Audio MIDI can't be matched as the headphone jack is locked to 32 bit float) = no bass distortion detected
  3. lossless to DX300 in USB DAC mode with Audio MIDI matched to the track (24/44.1) = no bass distortion detected
  4. Qobuz to DX300 in USB DAC mode exclusive mode = I was unable to detect a difference between this and AM lossless
Are you sure you have enough power to drive the planars you are using?
Yes, my DAC works perfectly on my phone and other computer

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #313 of 871
Honestly, for what it’s worth, I’m impressed and am hovering over saying it’s superior. Apple have always had amazing source as they’ve been able to hang for so long using just AAC. I’ve dropped tidal in favour.
To be honest, I couldn’t even tell any difference between regular Apple Music AAC and Tidal in the past if comparing 1:1 the same track, same source. It has been that good for years. And now with lossless / High-Res I have the good feeling of getting 100% the best possible material. No need for anything else for me too!

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #314 of 871
Spatial is working as intended, lossless Atmos requires a blu-ray or very advanced AVR and TV and streaming sources that don't yet exist.

It sounds great on Focal Clear (punch/dynamics of clear + binaural soundstage goes great together), but only if the song is mastered well. Some (many?) tracks they half-assed it or did a terrible job. The Band, Disclosure, Kraftwerk are examples of well-produced Atmos

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #315 of 871
According to several users in Reddit, Apple Music in Android beta version 3.6 latest update just appeared with hi res and Dolby Atmos.
I am really hoping to get a working version for my Astell & Kern SR25.
Otherwise I am really happy with the hires and lossless of Apple Music. My Apple Tv is streaming lossless to my living room stereo. Very convenient and excellent sound. When I walk the dog, I use my Iphone with Bluetooth iems and really don’t hear any difference at all In that case with the lossy version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back