Apple loves music - that's why we love Apple
Sep 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

rasmushorn

Headphoneus Supremus
The new iPod Nano is gorgeous. The new Apple TV is fantastic 99 USD!!! What! 

I am the "dancing monkey" shouting "I LOVE THIS COMPANY!"

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 47
hmm...

lets see, the shuffle. they finaly fixed that problem where you had to use the crappiest headphones ever made to be able to control it. thats a plus,

on the other hand, the nanos shiney screen is not an excuse for costing double of what its competitors cost.

the apple TV is nice, the integrated wifi makes it good competition to the WD TV HD live which allready has netflix support in the US. but then again, if you have a PS3 or a XB360 with marketplace access, its just another box to have under your TV, only worth it if you use the STD equivalent of a music managment software called Itunes...

as for the extras.. HDR photography with a cellphone module, i think we found a LOMO substitute for the hispster trash subculture.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 47
We? I deal with OSX and Xcode only because I need both for a class. Xcode is a little buggy and I managed to get it to crash 3x in 20 minutes on a real mac- not my licensed VM I use in the dorm.

I've never really seen the appeal of Apple's media players and that hasn't changed now that I'm actually writing code for them. I'll take my Zune HD over the new iTouch any day. 
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 47
Zune HD for life.

People just don't realize the real deal with Microsoft, so instead, they go for the eye popping candy that Apple effortlessly grasps all of your amateur gelatinous hypocritical tapeworms attentions with...all the fancy commercials, colors on their site, products and advertisements, and shiny looking products...just like taking candy from a baby.

llllol.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 47

Quote:
Zune HD for life.

I had a Zune HD. Good sound quality, eye-candy interface (loved the grid album view), but a media player was all it really was. The ipod touch can do so much more in regards to being a casual gaming platform/PDA, but I guess it's really only for those who care for such things.

I'm quite unhappy that the new touches are gimped in the still imaging department. (Limited resolution, no LED flash) Otherwise I would've considered purchasing one in lieu of an iphone. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 47
I am interested in the AirPlayer announcement (update to Airtunes). I hope this means that you can broadcast more than just iTunes to an airport express/extreme/apple tv. I long for the day when I can use spotify via my airport express. Being able to stream higher than 16/44 would be nice too (surely if HD video + the associated sound can be streamed via AirPlayer then high-res music should be feasible?). Be interested to see.

EDIT: some added info on the AirPlay thing (including references to 'featured partners' like Denon, Marantz and B&W, who are seemingly gonna release recievers and stereos with AirPlay built in) can be found here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 47
The Apple TV looks like a winner.  For those of us who don't enjoy the empty calories of video games, it will be a great way to stream Netflix, look at photos and connect the optical out to a DAC.  It'll integrate nicely and I don't think I'll even buy a DVD or Blu-Ray player when I finally get around to setting up some video.  I haven't had a TV for about eight years, but will probably pick up a flat screen when I move to Arizona and actually have some free time.  I'd like to get back into regularly watching movies.

K-Money, do you have any point posting in this thread?  If you're happy with the Zune, keep on using it.  They're good players.  But I wouldn't have a point in posting in a Zune thread since I don't own one or plan to buy one.  Too bad it's not compatible with OS X or Linux.  If I could have put one on my Linux box or Mac, I would have considered buying one.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 47
shuffle, hmm i want to know what chipset is in it.  the nano, oooh pretty but i dont like using touch screens for music so id never buy one.  touch, couldnt care less.  tv, erm no 1080, $99=/=£99, no iplayer and given apples support for playing files other than its own is woefull.  as it stands the apple tv is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:
The Apple TV looks like a winner.

I think Apple's facing an uphill climb in this area, especially since many devices with Apple TV's streaming functionality already have a foothold in the living room.

1. TV integrated streaming services. Cost: Free w/ TV
  2. Apple TV with streaming service and iTunes. Cost: $100
  3. Blu-Ray players with integrated streaming services. Cost: $100-150
  4. Xbox 360 with integrated streaming services + DVD. Cost: $200
  5. PS3 with integrated streaming services + Blu-Ray. Effective Cost: $300

Unless iTunes integration is a must, that's an awful lot of popular devices that obviate the need for Apple TV. Neat device, but a bit late to the party.

Quote:
I'm wondering what reactions to the new Nano will be. I could see a possible negative consumer reaction, actually. The old Nanos are hot!

Yeah, definitely wondering why the canceled the old Nano. That was an excellent device with a great form factor. Not so much for the new one.

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 47
I don't like the new Nanos. I used to have a first generation one a long while back, and always considered them to be a tidy compromise between the bulkier but more functional Classic and the significantly slimmer but limited capability Shuffle. With this change, the Nano veers too close to its Shuffle sibling. I would not buy one.

New Touch looks great, though. If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd be all over that.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 47
I don't think apple likes music. I think apple likes selling gimmick products.
That said, I have an ipod shuffle (latest gen) purchased solely for using in the gym. I don't care that the headphones are sub-par, I just need some noise while I am on the treadmill.
If Apple loved music they'd let me buy tracks in .wav. There's no reason not to, it's not like bandwidth is a big issue nowadays.
I'm also pretty against the way they lock things out of their products and lock them down so they are less usable than they should be - and then rave about how usable they are. That aside I reckon the target market for these is kids and fashion victims.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 47
Apple loves money.

With that said, I'm glad they changed the shuffle back, but I'm still not replacing my 3G shuffle or 4G ipod.  My shuffle's been through the wash and dryer twice and still works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back