Apple Lossless skipps what to encode in?
Feb 10, 2009 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MythNoob

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently decided to encode my cd collection and used the apple lossless format but low and behold when i listen to the songs on my Touch 2G theres certain parts in each song where it skips/clips! so whats the better encoding method to use? im rather dissapointed its not working and not sure where the fault is coming through, i encoded the cds on two different computers and got the same results from both.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, on a Touch, you only have a choice between ALAC and uncompressed AIFF or WAV. The Touch certainly shouldn't be skipping. Do the same songs skip when playing them in iTunes?

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 7
It may not be the encoder. It could be a defective ipod (my daughter's ipod skiped on tracks that she played without problem on her earlier ipods leading to an exchange), the cd drive you used to do the ripping, or the computer you did the ripping on, or even the process of adding the tracks to the ipod. Try making a music (not data) cd of the tracks (converts the alac files to aiff automatically) and play it on a regular cd player and see what happens then. If there's no problem, then clearly the ripper is not at fault.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 7
This is a bug in the current software. There are a couple of threads. Hopefully Apple will fix it. In the meantime, create AAC or mp3 versions from the lossless files to put on your touch.

Mooch

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 7
ok so ill encode differantly, im now encoding in 256VBR

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 7
too bad you cant rip to apple lossless though...i am using it with no problems.
i have the latetst itunes and ipod classic 120 latest gen. hope it will be fixed soon mate,so you wont have to use all that (sorry for the nasty language...)lossy garbage for long.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, its a nasty bug and I sure hope Apple come up with a fix quite soon.
Even my soon to be 4 years old iPod nano play Apple Lossless perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back