apple lossless is only 10.3% of original audio?
Feb 1, 2012 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ohhgourami

Headphoneus Supremus
Quoting Niel Young's words from this article: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/31/2761597/neil-young-music-steve-jobs-piracy-is-the-new-radio

Not sure how this is true...and definitely not sure how vinyl would offer 100% of the sound as he implies.  Of course I'm not trying to stir up another digital vs vinyl battle.  I just think that 10.3% is quite an exaggeration.

Although this post is a bit of the wrong section of the forum, I did want to share the article.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 35
Ya, interesting - the relevant quote in the article for those who don't want to click on the link -

"He (Neil Young) says that your average MP3 file only contains about five percent of the audio from an original recording and he says Apple Lossless only offers "10.3 percent." "

I have absolutely no idea to what Young is referring.

Perhaps someone else might.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 35
No idea.

I've compared cds to FLAC and I couldn't tell any difference. On the other hand FLAC cd vs FLAC vinyl, you can tell a difference. Vinyl is usually better.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
"He (Neil Young) says that your average MP3 file only contains about five percent of the audio from an original recording and he says Apple Lossless only offers "10.3 percent." "

I have absolutely no idea to what Young is referring.

Using those numbers "plucked out of the air" - I really don't suspect he does either.  Would be interested to hear someone like LFFs views on this.

And why does he specifically say Apple Lossless - it's the same digital info as any other lossless file.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 35
He might have meant AAC and simply confused the terms, since Apple doesn't supply lossless music files.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
He might have meant AAC and simply confused the terms, since Apple doesn't supply lossless music files.

Would make sense I guess - although their aac256 now is actually pretty good - about on par with mp3 320.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
No idea.

I've compared cds to FLAC and I couldn't tell any difference. On the other hand FLAC cd vs FLAC vinyl, you can tell a difference. Vinyl is usually better.

Not really possible, but ok. . . 

He meant AAC I'm sure. . . 

128/1411 = ~10% of the file size but iTunes is now 256 so it doesn't make much sense either way though. He's terribly misinformed. 

He seems to imply that AAC is twice as good as mp3 as well, which is completely wrong. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
No idea.

Not really possible, but ok. . .

What?
blink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 35
24/192 uncompressed files will have a bit rate of 9,216 kbps. Losslessly compressed 16/44.1 files will have a bit rate of around 800-1000. That's probably where he's getting it.

Good thing that other 90% has never been shown to be audible 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back