apple lossless error correction - does it matter?
Mar 30, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg
i ripped a bunch of CDs using itunes apple lossless and had the error correction disabled.

My tracks play perfectly fine... no skips or anything.

Is there an actual advantage of enabling error correction (ie better SQ or something?)

It actually helps on mine. not that the SQ is better but that it prevents issues. when i first burned my CDs to itunes i was getting all kinds of skips, that has stopped since then.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 8
If you don't hear any flaws, don't bother re-ripping.

I leave error correction on all the time. It takes a little longer, but it's also "saved" some discs I have that bounced around the car a little too much. Those skip in CD players, but after ripping with correction, I can either listen to the ALAC or rip new ones that don't skip. I think it's worth the little extra time it takes.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
Two schools of thought:
. Have you listened to every second of every rip you made? Maybe there's a skip somewhere OMG.

which is really annoying if in the meantime you've gotten rid of the cd...

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 8
nah.. i've got all the CDs with me. I intend to go to local library and borrow other CDs I dont have and rip those... from now on I guess I'll use error correction - esp those that have been borrowed a lot.

So to sum up: if there are scratches on the CD, then error correction will fix it. If the CD is in perfect condition, then it doesn't really make a difference..

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 8
The apple error detection reads the disc multiple times to ensure the data transfer has been completed with the fewest errors possible...why not use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back