Apple Ipod Video or Cowon iAUDIO X5?
Feb 15, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 30
PM me when you find that perfect audio /video combo...The ipod aint it and the X5 aint it.
The best combo player available right now ....in my opinion is the archos av420 ...the best dap...in my opinion is the X5L , the vision m , well I havent tried it yet.

Feb 16, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #17 of 30
Sorry to confuse you more, but the creative zen vision does deserve for some attention at this point. It has very very good video and sonic qualities comparing to iPod video. The only downside is that its thicker and that it's not as easy to use (scroll wheel just works better, vertical strip requires you to lift your lazy fingers all the time). I can't really comment on the durability and reliability as I only got it yesterday. Here are my comments for the 3 players:

X5: sounds great right out of the box, supports flac, drag and drop is great (at least for me), more for tech savvy ppl

iPod Video: great line out, requires amp to sound great, very easy to use, great aftermarket accessory selections.

Zen Vision M: great sound and video quality (I say both are better than iPod) , not as easy to use as iPod, but not bad at all. It's thicker than the new iPod therefore it is not very pocket friendly.

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 30
Here are the reasons why I would choose the X5:

1. LCD Remote, great for on the go.

2. USB Mass Storage without and need for programs(recongized as a hard drive)

3. Metal case. I dropped my M3L, also an iAudio with similar metal casing, once and the thing never skipped a beat! The drop was from waist height on to the concrete ground. The case absorbed the impact thereby saving the HDD.

4. Line in recording. Can be useful, for me anyhow, from time to time.

5. I prefer using file tree based navigation

The truth is I never owned an iPod and iAudio has never made me wonder what it would be like to own an iPod. It's that simple, really.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #20 of 30
oh yeah, if you get an ipod realize you'll probably be paying more for things that should've came with it in the first place. I.e. a decent case, a remote, uh . . line out dock (if you use an amp), a spare battery pack, etc. And that crud is often overly expensive.

I have an ipod, but damn did I get gipped. Course I don't care cuz, it's pretty and makes me feel I'm better than those five guys in my state who don't have one. Wait . . .

tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Here are the reasons why I would choose the X5:

1. LCD Remote, great for on the go.

I dont think it comes with it,does it?

Here are my current reasons to buy an iPod:
1.many friends have an iPod so I'll get to share songs.
2.accessoiries:I'll improve the sound quality and so on...
3.rockbox supports OGG and HOPEFULLY FLAC.
4. 2.5" and 30fps movie playback.
5.I dont have a fifth one.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 30
I don't think the X5 comes with a decent case, it hasn't got a line out at all (subpack one is defunctional), and I don't think anything comes with a spare battery pack.

BTW, any sharing of songs can be done easily with X5 due to its file-tree browsing system. The iPod for some reason creates 18 thousand folders and distributes the music randomly, renaming them randomly, seemingly to make it a pain to transfer music from it.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 30
I've used both (well I had a X5L and used my friends ipod a fair bit) and I have to say that the X5 is much better. I would recommend the excellent remote control though.

However I'd suggest the Creative Zen Vision M, it has qualities that combines both these players...and it's awesome.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seirrah
I've used both (well I had a X5L and used my friends ipod a fair bit) and I have to say that the X5 is much better. I would recommend the excellent remote control though.

you really need to live with a player to judge it fairly. At first, coming from an iriver, the ipod was annoying as hell to use. Get's easier, once you tag every damn song that is . . which I just don't feel like doing.

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 30
To the original poster,

You can get the X5 at Costco Wholesale and not the iPod? I work at Costco Wholesale in Phoenix, AZ and we carry the iPod 5g 30GB for ten bucks cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Also, I believe you can buy the iPod from Costco.com. You can still return it to your local wherehouse if it breaks.
We don't carry the X5 in our wherehouse, however? Where on Earth are you located at?

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
I dont think it comes with it,does it?

That is correct the remote does not come with the X5 package. It must be purchased for $55, if you want one.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 30
I just bought a 30GB X5L online yesterday after using a 5th gen iPod two days ago. The touchpad didn't feel right to me. It was a little rough, so my thumb kept on lightly skipping over the surface and screwing up the menu. Plus, I don't want to be forced into using iTunes and re-encoding hundreds of FLACs to ALAC files. The iPod also doesn't have file tree navigation, so you can't organize your music in the specific way you want it.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC
I just bought a 30GB X5L online yesterday after using a 5th gen iPod two days ago. The touchpad didn't feel right to me. It was a little rough, so my thumb kept on lightly skipping over the surface and screwing up the menu. Plus, I don't want to be forced into using iTunes and re-encoding hundreds of FLACs to ALAC files. The iPod also doesn't have file tree navigation, so you can't organize your music in the specific way you want it.

rockbox can fix some of your problems, but the x5l will have more battery life and more features (FM, recording)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back