Apple Ipod Video or Cowon iAUDIO X5?
Feb 15, 2006 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!
I presently own a Rio carbon pearl 5gb and have been waiting for a new mp3 with better SQ,more space and movie playback for long class period
etysmile.gif

So now I'm down for either the Ipod(which I think better for movies) and the X5 better for music playback with FLAC support!
biggrin.gif

The Ipod is 30Bux more, and for the X5 I'd get it from costco and their guarantee is unbeatable...
I dont know what would you pick and why?
Thanks,
JackTheRipper.

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 30
well if video is something that you want as well then it's gotta be the iPod. Technically the X5 can play videos (though they have to be specially converted and they can only play 15 FPS max which is pants to be honest though it can be watchable for some)

In terms of audio quality I think they both sound pretty much the same really (I can't honestly say that I've really compared both properly but I don't think you'll be failing sound quality by picking either) Of course you could get an iPod and try putting rockbox on it (once that's all finalised) and then you should be able to get FLAC on it that way (I'm assuming that the iPod version of rockbox supports FLAC)

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 30
Ipod. I found the bass on the X5 a bit thick and industrial for my tastes, the iPod was touch clearer. In addition to that the iPod will do lossless through ALAC and if you want FLAC then rockbox should have most of the creases ironed out in a month or two. Also if you plan to amp the X5s line out is often touted as a weak point. However getting the L version of the X5 will give you significantly better battery life over the iPod. The differences are slight so I'd advise you try both. I'm sure you'll have a friend with an iPod who'll let you have a play and X5 if you live in a big enough city should be on display somewhere. Also the if movies are a concern the Creative Zen Vision:M apparently excels in that area though I've never used one.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 30
Lossless codec saps DAP battery life... something you should be aware of. If you're determined to go lossless, Apple offers it's own format, ALAC. It's not secured and it's easy to transcode to other more popular lossy formats, so it's in most ways just as valid as FLAC in terms of an archival medium.

As a movie player, the X5 is a non-starter. It is an all-purpose USBOTG client though, something the iPod doesn't offer (it only talks one-way to cameras). The Creative Zen Vision M is surprisingly uncomfortable to use out of the lot, but it's got quite a lot going for it if you're going to use all of the features. The movie support is much better than the iPod in that you can put many clips on without conversion. The screen is much more vivid and although the iPod shows up some image detailes better, on the whole it looks more washed out. As a music player, I'd say overall the Zen Vision M is looking almost as good as the iPod at this stage, and an improvement on the X5 in practical use. Soundwise I can't say anything about it yet. I have to say though I think the controls of the ZV:M are a retrograde step to the Zen Touch/Micro.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 30
You should go with the Vision M for video. SQ is also top notch.

x5 has it's own cool features and is by far the most scratch proof.

For controls, I don't really like any "touch" controls but with the assignable shorcut button and foward and back buttons integrated on the touch strip it works pretty well IMO.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
What is Rockbox? I saw the post by turbo and followed the link but it doesn't says what it is for anywhere.

Its open source firmware for iPods, Archos, and iRiver players. Firmware is like the operating system that makes the player functional. Like Windows or OSX for a computer.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 30
I am going to use the player as a music player first,the video is only something I'd like so I can play with it when I'm at school
etysmile.gif

Another thing is the guarantee,I know costco has one of the best if not the best return policy so if I have any problem with the X5 I could return it with NO problem.If I buy the Ipod at futureshop their warranty isnt really good.
are the current IPod really resistent?
And does rockbox(I know what it is I've seen some Ipods with it) will still permit me to watch movies/pictures?
Thanks alot guys,
Hope I make the right decision!

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 30
Rockbox does not have video support, but IIRC you can boot to the Apple firmware by holding down certain buttons, and use that to watch videos.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 30
As pretty much everybody has stated in this thread, it all comes down to features and if you REALLY want the videos. I found out the screen on the iAudio wasn't like sitting in front of a 40" screen, nor is the iPod's. What I'm saying here is that both of these weren't made to literally sit down and watch a movie on them, they're mp3 players.

I bought the iAudio X5 and have been loving it ever since I got it in december, and even after watching videos on people's iPods, I really enjoy having the capability of recording a class, transfering pictures from my camera when it is full, recording fm stereo when there's a soccer game I can't listen/watch at the time, be able to connect my player anywhere without the need of additional software or cables, all of this over being able to see a video in a screen .5" bigger than mine.

So what I'm saying here is, go for the iAudio. People may come up to you and laugh at the 1.8" screen you have (they have had to me), but in the inside you will laugh at them for missing out on some features YOU REALLY GET TO USE.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimatrod
As pretty much everybody has stated in this thread, it all comes down to features and if you REALLY want the videos. I found out the screen on the iAudio wasn't like sitting in front of a 40" screen, nor is the iPod's. What I'm saying here is that both of these weren't made to literally sit down and watch a movie on them, they're mp3 players.

I bought the iAudio X5 and have been loving it ever since I got it in december, and even after watching videos on people's iPods, I really enjoy having the capability of recording a class, transfering pictures from my camera when it is full, recording fm stereo when there's a soccer game I can't listen/watch at the time, be able to connect my player anywhere without the need of additional software or cables, all of this over being able to see a video in a screen .5" bigger than mine.

So what I'm saying here is, go for the iAudio. People may come up to you and laugh at the 1.8" screen you have (they have had to me), but in the inside you will laugh at them for missing out on some features YOU REALLY GET TO USE.

I sit down and watch movies on my Vision:M. Honestly it works pretty well. 30 fps, 264k colors, bright screen, 320X240 res 2.5" screen. Movies are watchable, I prefer it to my PSP with MS movies.

My friends x5, well I wouldn't watch anything on it
smily_headphones1.gif

BUT you have USBOTG, and you have UMS and can use it on Linux and Macs.

Given the original posters choices, I feel I need to preach about the vision:m, its not the perfect DAP by any stretch and both the ipod and x5 have their own advantages, but given what he wanted to do, he should be aware of the V:M.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 30
Ipod is decent for movies if the source recording is high quality (and you transcode accordingly). Gotta say though, the interface is pretty buggy and the battery life (while playing video) is horrid. Drains fast as hell. Thought that can probably be remedied a bit with 3rd party battery packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back