Apple iPod Earphones
Mar 16, 2007 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Amuse

100+ Head-Fier
Apple iPod Earphones or ibuds as people call them here.

How do they sound?
Seriously, when I take the train/bus to school, everywhere I look I see at least one person with these in their ears. Do they sound really good?

Do you have a pair? Do you use them?

How to they compare to other earbuds in terms of sound quality? Like Skullcandy? PK2?

ma662_alt.jpg

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPod Earphones or ibuds as people call them here.

How do they sound?
Seriously, when I take the train/bus to school, everywhere I look I see at least one person with these in their ears. Do they sound really good?

Do you have a pair? Do you use them?

How to they compare to other earbuds in terms of sound quality? Like Skullcandy? PK2?

I think most people think they sound crap... Not as good as Marshmallows. When I heard them, I was surprised how much bass they pump out. I think thats why people use them...

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most people think they sound crap... Not as good as Marshmallows. When I heard them, I was surprised how much bass they pump out. I think thats why people use them...

There is some bass in them, but i find it uncontrolled, sometimes sounds that shouldnt be bassy, are. Now my ibuds are resting, FOREVER!

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 34
To be honest, no conventional earbud sounds spectacular. Most of them are severely rolled off at both extremes. Some have a resonance peak in the lower midrange, giving those models a "boxy" sound.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 34
You know, the ibud sounds decent when it is driven by Stello DA100 >> RP7-B...

You should seriously consider getting the DA100 and RP7-B to drive the iBuds if you're serious about using/getting the iBuds.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 34
I think people use ibuds because they came with the ipod and maybe because they haven't heard better IEM or ear buds. I would still be using my stock zen ear buds if I didn't stumble upon head-fi.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 34
The iBuds are not great, but they are better than most bundled earbuds and they look reasonably smart. Many people are unaware just how much better sounds can be had, most iPod owners I know cannot understand why anyone would spend £20-30 on a set of headphones when they are happy with the ones they have got, let alone shell out for some expensive IEMs.

Simon

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 34
the best stock earphones imho is still the one from creative
smily_headphones1.gif
i enjoyed them; well, that's before i got hooked in this forum
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 34
I use them outside and in the gym because they came free with the ipod they can take a beating. I just throw them in the bag and forget them. But of course, I have different headphones for home use.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 34
The iBuds are not as bad as people make them out to be. I was using a pair last week since I forgot my CX300s at the office. They actually sounded pretty good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 34
I finally tried out a pair of stock iPod buds recently and I know we all have different shaped ears and whatnot but good grief, I couldn't stand to wear them for more than a minute or two. They're really unforgiving and uncomfortable. However as bud technology has improved, the quality of OEMs seems to have also, and these aren't terrible in terms of sound, given that they are stock.

But people just dropped a fair amount of money on their iPods and probably don't have the inclination to upgrade their buds, considering that these have a fair bass response and well, I think that's most folks' entry level fidelity 101.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back