Apple iphones
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:
Quote:
Speaking only about computers, the spec differences between Macs and PCs make for quite a different user experience, and one doesn't need to even have much knowledge to see such an apparent improvement. But perhaps it's becoming more and more about the usability. Living proof of that is the whole cloud computing wave that's becoming more and more commonplace.

Use iTunes, buy iThings, forget about Adobe Flash because that was just a past fad, and mostly burn money on things that work just like everything else.

I know I'm certainly happy when I spend less for the same thing, being able to save, invest, spend, do just about anything with such money.

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

It's a shame the attempts to convert people. Just leave things be.

i agree if people are satisfied with what they have don't try and make them change. i am satisfied windows because i am fluent with it. macs are user friendly but i would have to relearn the interface. i will stick with what i know. also i do registry cleaning and virus scans when i am asleep. so it doesn't effect me.

Sadly there is this tendency to be unwilling to actually understand your machine and just want it to function: have a big button [DO THIS] and that's it. I have used macOS and found it quite the transition, but by no means simpler or more comfortable. It crashed itself and did not even have the courtesy (of any other OS) to tell me why. If I knew what had happened, I propably could prevent it from occuring again, but no. That I have always hated, een with XP many things were more like outwitting and tricking the damn thing into doing what I wanted instead of mindlessly  running an assistant that did not accomplish what I wanted done. But fortunately there's a solution. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #65 of 76

Quote:
my acer netbook is running linux...

...and i will avoid the following like a plague. apple, hp, dell, alienware, acer, gateway.

Opinion deemed irrelevant due to inconsistency. xP

Quote:
Quote:
iphone ftw

I see you've made the most of your first posts here with three such insightful, informative, and well thought out posts.

LOL! ^ Also, jcheng9394, I love the Fire Emblem pic. xD

Anyways, Apple products have always been good to me. Sure, my chances of gaming are fairly slim on my MacBook Pro, but so be it. I didn't buy my MacBook to play. I use it solely for keeping in contact with friends and working on school work.

I would love to use it(as well as my iPhone 4/Nano 6G) for music, too. iTunes has never given me any major issues, and my iPhone does everything I would ever need it to do. Also, you can surf the web while on the phone, so long as you have wifi. Haha.

Honestly, when it comes to music, I'm new to the hi-fi world, so I will use what I have at hand with the headphones I plan to buy, and hopefully it will suit my needs and wants. If not, then I'll decide whether or not to "upgrade" to a different music player.

In any case, I've had quite a few phones, ranging from Samsung and Motorola phones to Sidekicks to Blackberries and even a droid, and I can honestly say that the iPhone tops them with ease. Blackberries have a tendency to be slow as crap. They freeze and freeze and freeze. Even if you close every app running, it'll still freeze. Sidekicks are the least durable things on the planet, period. I've had a lot of Samsung or Motorola phones overheat and just white screen of death. The Android phones are probably the closest thing to an iPhone that I've seen, but I feel that the iPhone is much easier to use. Its easy use makes it easy for me to quickly do anything I need to do on the phone so I can pocket it and get on with my day. The Blackberries freezing made that factor a problem.

I've never had any sort of viral issue with my MacBook Pro(Or my old Macbook from about 4 years ago). As for Apple having only 10% of the market, or w/e, well... luckily, there are enough people in the world with such strong hatred for Apple products that our computers will never be deemed worth hacking for quite a while. Thank God for die hard Windows fans taking the heat off my overpriced product. I don't know what I would do if my overpriced computer was infected. xD But thankfully, I won't have that problem. :)

Well, one thing is for sure. To each their own. This is something that is true in every facet of life, whether it is computers, music players, or even headphones(as I've seen mixed comments on pretty much every headphone/amp, especially when someone is comparing one 'phone/amp to another 'phone/amp(respectively).So enjoy what you have, and use it to its full potential.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #66 of 76
"So enjoy what you have, and use it to its full potential."

^^ The worthwhile part of all that blabber.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #67 of 76
Its pretty whacked how starting from page 1, anyone can continue to play out their negativity through 5 pages of a thread. 
deadhorse.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #68 of 76
People who enjoy the process of futzing with a computer, building a computer, knowing them inside and out, maximizing them, etc often like PCs.  The mac haters almost always work in computer tech for a living.  Roller, I'd bet a bit of money that you do to. 
wink.gif
  Which is great, but what about people who haven't and don't want to devote large portions of their life to learning how computers work?  Those are the people who enjoy macs.  PC users often enjoy the process of simply using a computer, mac users often enjoy what they can make/do with a computer but don't necessarily enjoy the computer itself. 

Mac is a closed system because Apple ensures that it all works together in a streamlined way.  It's about ensuring an easy and fluid user experience
Mac haters hate this because it also means they exert control over the user experience.  Most of the public can do everything they want within that, but the mac haters want to exert their own will over the gear, futz with it and fidget with it and obsess about features and they either don't mind or enjoy figuring out how to get poorly designed apps to work or whatever it is. 

4G is a great example.  It's nice on paper as a feature, so a bunch of the non-apple phones are using it.  But it eats up a ton of battery life, isn't supported in many places, and isn't even much faster than 3g when it is.  So Apple probably won't put it into the iphone5 because it doesn't translate from a nice spec to a good user experience.  And the mac-haters will have a fit of course.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #69 of 76

Quote:
People who enjoy the process of futzing with a computer, building a computer, knowing them inside and out, maximizing them, etc often like PCs.  The mac haters almost always work in computer tech for a living.  Roller, I'd bet a bit of money that you do to. 
wink.gif
  Which is great, but what about people who haven't and don't want to devote large portions of their life to learning how computers work?  Those are the people who enjoy macs.  PC users often enjoy the process of simply using a computer, mac users often enjoy what they can make/do with a computer but don't necessarily enjoy the computer itself. 

Mac is a closed system because Apple ensures that it all works together in a streamlined way.  It's about ensuring an easy and fluid user experience
Mac haters hate this because it also means they exert control over the user experience.  Most of the public can do everything they want within that, but the mac haters want to exert their own will over the gear, futz with it and fidget with it and obsess about features and they either don't mind or enjoy figuring out how to get poorly designed apps to work or whatever it is. 

4G is a great example.  It's nice on paper as a feature, so a bunch of the non-apple phones are using it.  But it eats up a ton of battery life, isn't supported in many places, and isn't even much faster than 3g when it is.  So Apple probably won't put it into the iphone5 because it doesn't translate from a nice spec to a good user experience.  And the mac-haters will have a fit of course.

First of all, don't think I'm a Mac hater because they do have one model I find a delight to use :) But I do work with computers and that might play a part on my thoughts about the subject. My point about ease of use of PCs is that as long a the user learns a few basic things, it becomes a very smooth experience, and that brief learning period is akin to a very simplified drivers license, that actually serves the user for many years to come.

While it might sound more negative than it should, I do feel that OSX suffers from a "dumbed down" interface and system access, but it's again related to personal requirements of the control of the system.

The curious part is if Macs were as widespread as PC systems, namely running Windows, there would be far more problems similar to what can be found on Windows, as the mere fact of having an immensely large software library would bring a myriad of problems attached to it.

About 4G, I have to disagree with you there, because an increase of 100x the DL performance is very significant in my book. Again, remember I'm talking about 3G, not 3.5G which is already 10x faster than 3G, making 4G only 10x faster than 3.5G, but still very significant. Battery issues are indeed a thing I concern over, and the fact that even running mobile devices with said connectivity options disabled, battery runtime is absurdly short.
The fact is that as the IT world evolves, so does the content complexity grows, and the inherently essential growth of data pipelines, which 3.5G is just not enough for a truly smooth user experience. Keep in mind that I'm no longer talking about Apple or Android, but about the network tech evolution itself. Where I'm getting at with all this is that I personally think all mobile devices would have more than enough data bandwidth with 3.5G, and should most definitely focus on improving basic features like battery runtimes, less frequent products launched which end up being minor revisions (sometimes only software is changed) but with a heftier price tag, and ironing out as much bugs as possible on kernel level, as the hardware being used for said devices has already guidelines for hardware specs, therefore immensely limiting issues that could arise for an almost endless hardware variety, specially when there isn't proper QA over interoperability.

Now that I let that off my chest, I just want to say that I find both platforms equally good, each with their own pros and cons, with neither actually being better or worse in a general sense, but in specific purposes, even if there are a few areas where they do struggle to see who comes out on top.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #70 of 76

Quote:

While it might sound more negative than it should, I do feel that OSX suffers from a "dumbed down" interface and system access, but it's again related to personal requirements of the control of the system.

Exactly, but keep in mind it seems dumbed down to you since you work with computers all the time, and namely because you work with PC's.  An Apple is clearly not the right choice for you.  But a lot of customers want a dumbed down UI.  I certainly do.  I want the computer to work for me, not the other way around. 

I'm not sure about the other parts of your post, I don't care enough about 4g to go research more, I'm just basing it off what I've read so far, which seemed to be that 4G is mostly a marketing gimmick.  What you get with a closed system is Apple NOT implementing something just to sell devices or make nice adverts, but choosing what is best for most users in most situations. 

Even if that pisses you off, you have to at least give Apple credit for pushing all the other companies to make their devices more user friendly.  The smart phone market would be a much more frustrating world if it weren't for Apple's UI leading the way. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #71 of 76

Quote:

Exactly, but keep in mind it seems dumbed down to you since you work with computers all the time, and namely because you work with PC's.  An Apple is clearly not the right choice for you.  But a lot of customers want a dumbed down UI.  I certainly do.  I want the computer to work for me, not the other way around. 

I'm not sure about the other parts of your post, I don't care enough about 4g to go research more, I'm just basing it off what I've read so far, which seemed to be that 4G is mostly a marketing gimmick.  What you get with a closed system is Apple NOT implementing something just to sell devices or make nice adverts, but choosing what is best for most users in most situations. 

Even if that pisses you off, you have to at least give Apple credit for pushing all the other companies to make their devices more user friendly.  The smart phone market would be a much more frustrating world if it weren't for Apple's UI leading the way. 

Trust me, Windows is dumbed down enough as it is. And I've always said that the only amount of time that's actually taken regarding PCs is to properly set it up before fully utilizing it. After that, PCs becomes very powerful tools, and I say with total certainly that they outperform Macs on their most advertised field, A/V work, with both similar and lower specced machines. I wouldn't believe it myself given how Apple's OS communicates with hardware, but software really is a game changer.

4G is 10 times faster than 3.5G (which is known in US as 3G, while real 3G is 10 times slower than 3.5G), and it's definitely something worthwhile, BUT only for users who actually benefit from the wider bandwidth lines. The average user has no need for 4G, yet. I would gladly have gigabit ethernet on the go, but most people have more than enough DL/UL speeds for their current needs and devices.

The only two things I actually got pissed off against Apple was the fact that Windows 7 was oversimplified, akin to OSX10.4 and above. Another corp. I don't sympathize that much is Google, for seting a trend (because that's exactly what it is) on internet browser UIs, severely crippling typical info that had always been a given, ever since the Internet got widespread.

Smartphone market? That's a part of the conversation I don't really want to get into, sorry
redface.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #73 of 76
So I just read this thread out of boredom.  Over the course of the 4 months that I just read it is the same stereotypical mac/pc argument that I have heard countless times before.  Most of the anti mac sentiment I see comes from lack of knowledge of the product and most of the anti pc sentiment is the same recycled argument that has half truths.  

I did type out a few paragraphs on my stance of each but then realized chances are it would fall on deaf ears.  As a user of windows/mac/unix/linux over the past 20 years I think anyone who swears by only one type of product or OS is quite frankly a fool.  They are just tools to use for whatever you need.  If you have one you like and are happy with it thats all that matters.  Currently I like the Mac platform and iOS.  Down the road if I find something else to tickle my fancy I will use that instead.  Don't be narrow minded, its an affront to humanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back