Apple Ipad ! ? ! What do u guys think?
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The three things people most people want, and it can be done quickly, and actually REDUCE the price.

250 gb small-platter hard drive. (PS: Cost SAVINGS)
2 gb ram (Ram is EXTREMELY cheap right now.)
Replace the A4 with an Atom running at 1.6ghz. (PS: Cost SAVINGS.)

With those specs, it could run a full OSX, and pretty well. If it had these things, and was done at $399, it would be a complete game changer.

But no.

I agree that would be a "game changer," but not for the audience Apple is aiming at. This is supposed to be the everyman computer; you and I do not fit into the everyman category. Ask yourself if the average iPod user could make heads or tails of the specs you cite in your post. I'm thinking not.

Apple isn't trying to produce a computer, really; they are trying to produce something that will be perceived as a stylish lifestyle appliance. Very low on a geek's radar, but a gargantuan potential market if they get the marketing message right.

Most people simply don't care about their machine's processor, memory, or anything else under the hood, for that matter. They ask questions like "Does it do Facebook?"; "Can I IM with it?"; Does it show videos?"; "Does it run iPhone apps?"

Average non-technical users (in other words, the vast majority of potential users) are task oriented. They don't care about tech specs. They just want something that does what they want it to do, and looks good doing it.

Please don't think that I'm disagreeing with your point. I'm not. If it had the specs you mention, it would be a much more powerful, capable system. I just don't think that's what people want. Apple is trying to decipher what they DO want, and give them that, nothing more and nothing less.

Of course, if they haven't presented the correct feature set, get ready to watch Newton: The Sequel.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that would be a "game changer," but not for the audience Apple is aiming at. This is supposed to be the everyman computer; you and I do not fit into the everyman category. Ask yourself if the average iPod user could make heads or tails of the specs you cite in your post. I'm thinking not.

Apple isn't trying to produce a computer, really; they are trying to produce something that will be perceived as a stylish lifestyle appliance. Very low on a geek's radar, but a gargantuan potential market if they get the marketing message right.

Most people simply don't care about their machine's processor, memory, or anything else under the hood, for that matter. They ask questions like "Does it do Facebook?"; "Can I IM with it?"; Does it show videos?"; "Does it run iPhone apps?"

Average non-technical users (in other words, the vast majority of potential users) are task oriented. They don't care about tech specs. They just want something that does what they want it to do, and looks good doing it.

Please don't think that I'm disagreeing with your point. I'm not. If it had the specs you mention, it would be a much more powerful, capable system. I just don't think that's what people want. Apple is trying to decipher what they DO want, and give them that, nothing more and nothing less.

Of course, if they haven't presented the correct feature set, get ready to watch Newton: The Sequel.

I get the 'everyman' attitude. The thing is, Mac OSX is pretty user friendly as is. And if you feel it's not user friendly enough, create an OSX-based front end / iPhoneOS Emulator. Imagine a little device like this with the ability to run something of a cross between iPhoneOS and Windows Media Center, ASWELL as MacOSX. That wouldn't be a game changer, that would be a game breaker.

These changes I proposed offered a drop in cost, and an upgrade in compatibility. Along with this, it would have offered them more dev time on software, instead of hardware. (The ultimate end result of using already existent hardware.)

I also dislike the 'everyman' argument because a LOT of people are starting to get more involved in technology. If it offered the choice, it could have both sides.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

I get the 'everyman' attitude. The thing is, Mac OSX is pretty user friendly as is. And if you feel it's not user friendly enough, create an OSX-based front end / iPhoneOS Emulator. Imagine a little device like this with the ability to run something of a cross between iPhoneOS and Windows Media Center, ASWELL as MacOSX. That wouldn't be a game changer, that would be a game breaker.

I could see that if there were a choice between the full-blown interface and something very simple. At first boot, users could be offered a single, two-choice menu: simple mode, or advanced mode. I think some of the Linux netbooks offer something similar to this.

But a dual boot or dual interface also takes the device into the potentially disastrous realm of the flying car. Been tried many times, but no one has managed to produce one that appeals both to earth-bound drivers and to pilots. Result: a product that is neither fish nor foul, and does not sell.

Quote:

These changes I proposed offered a drop in cost, and an upgrade in compatibility. Along with this, it would have offered them more dev time on software, instead of hardware. (The ultimate end result of using already existent hardware.)

Also true. But I still think most people just won't care; Apple already offers full-blown systems for people who want to deal with a computer as a computer. This device is for people who want a computer that doesn't require them to deal with a computer. Ease-of-use and intuituve interface design are two of the aspects of the iPod that get the most praise, and I think they were shooting for the same thing with this device.

Quote:

I also dislike the 'everyman' argument because a LOT of people are starting to get more involved in technology. If it offered the choice, it could have both sides.

It's true that some people are getting more sophisticated, but I think you overstate the case. If I remember correctly, it was announced at the iPad press event that the company had recently sold its 250 millionth iPod. Apple wants this device to move those kinds of numbers, obviously; it's a mass-market device. But I don't think even a substantial minority of those 250 million potential buyers will want to deal with a full-blown computer interface. As I said, they pretty much want to push a button and look at the pretty lights.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could see that if there were a choice between the full-blown interface and something very simple. At first boot, users could be offered a single, two-choice menu: simple mode, or advanced mode. I think some of the Linux netbooks offer something similar to this.

But a dual boot or dual interface also takes the device into the potentially disastrous realm of the flying car. Been tried many times, but no one has managed to produce one that appeals both to earth-bound drivers and to pilots. Result: a product that is neither fish nor foul, and does not sell.

I'm not saying dual boot, though. I'm saying make an OSX application that you can have open on start, or have as an icon, that opens up an iPhone-like interface. Then you can also close it and access a FULL FEATURED OS. That 'most' people would never have to touch and/or see.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

I'm not saying dual boot, though. I'm saying make an OSX application that you can have open on start, or have as an icon, that opens up an iPhone-like interface. Then you can also close it and access a FULL FEATURED OS. That 'most' people would never have to touch and/or see.

O.K., I'm starting to see your point. If it could be set up so non-technical users could ignore what's underneath, and just use the simple interface, that might work well.

But it also occurs to me that Apple wouldn't want this to cannibalize sales of their higher-end products. Perhaps they deliberately want to position this in a way that would be unappealing to geeks. That way, their higher-end notebooks get the business/geek trade, while the iPad could snag the casual user-demographic.

Or, maybe they could market a higher-end iPad aimed at more savvy users, and position it in a way that wouldn't interest casual users. In other words, maybe they are gonna drop another shoe. First the iPad for the masses, then a more serious machine, aimed at the more demanding user.

Hell, I have no idea one way or the other how this is going to play out. But this is the first Apple product in a long, long time that has piqued my interest. I've been fascinated with the social phenomenon that has grown up around the iPhone/iPod. The products themselves, as products? Not as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back