Apple Ipad ! ? ! What do u guys think?
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inability to multitask is game over. What if you want to listen to music while awkwardly typing up a document on it's 4:3 touch screen? Too bad, so sad.

You have obviously never used an ipod Touch.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have obviously never used an ipod Touch.

Exactly my thoughts. Not being able to multitask on these devices does not mean that you cannot listen to music and do other things. There are many apps/games that allow you to listen to your music library while using the app. Something you can't do for example is continue listening to streaming music from pandora or slacker in the background while running another app. This is supposed to be addressed in OS 4.0 though.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this:

Gear « GrumpyOldArts

And I think most people have completely missed the point, which will become obvious in time.

P

That's a good write up about the ipad. I agree with the writer, this thing has the possibility to be the number 1 e-reader. If they get a large enough selection of books/textbooks, magazines, and newspapers on board with this, this will be huge. I don't care what anyone else says about it not being a good e-reader because it's backlit and not e ink. I've had a chance to sit down with a family members kindle on Christmas and I really was not at all impressed with it, it's very expensive for what it does and the books are not much cheaper than buying the hardcover edition at the bookstore. I've read a few short stories on my ipod touch and do not mind the brightness, it's just that the screen is too small on the touch so the larger screen of the ipad would be much better.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good write up about the ipad. I agree with the writer, this thing has the possibility to be the number 1 e-reader. If they get a large enough selection of books/textbooks, magazines, and newspapers on board with this, this will be huge. I don't care what anyone else says about it not being a good e-reader because it's backlit and not e ink. I've had a chance to sit down with a family members kindle on Christmas and I really was not at all impressed with it, it's very expensive for what it does and the books are not much cheaper than buying the hardcover edition at the bookstore. I've read a few short stories on my ipod touch and do not mind the brightness, it's just that the screen is too small on the touch so the larger screen of the ipad would be much better.

I read on my MacBook all the time. All you have to do is turn the brightness down, sometimes expand the type a bit. Compared to a Kindle, this thing is OSX vs MSDOS. Kindle is toast. So is the Sony Reader. Oh, and I'm the writer. Thanks for reading.

P

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #36 of 51
YouTube - Mad Tv - IPad

That is all.

Look forward to your laughs
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #37 of 51
I guess people did not watch the keynote as it was presented as a device that would fit
nicely in between the iPhone and a Mac. Seriously if this thing was loaded down with all the things people have moaned over the last 2 days it would not be thin,light and probably run hot as hell besides costing 3 times as much.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #38 of 51
Since my wifes touch and iphone are both the latest gen available she's not interested, I think the size is a turn off for her. I don't have an opinion, other than I'd just as soon not bother, anything bigger than a brick zune is not going anywhere with me. However, the haters/lovers of this thing should provide some amusing antagonistic discussions.
@ ozz......you make a very good point, reminds me of how many whined about the lack of a camera in the 3rd gen touch, if you really want all that, just drag a notebook around. It's kind of pleasant not caring either way.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #39 of 51
I doubt that I will get one as my iPhone and MBP fill my needs but my wife likes books and it has got her attention since the only thing she uses a computer for is email and some surfing as for music we have a lot invested in our audio/video already.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #40 of 51
I think if I owned one I would seldom if ever use it. I like the form factor of the ipod touch but Apple are control freaks and wont let me do some things that are basic and would be easy to include. The worst part is they probably fight just to keep some of these basic features out. It looks like this Ipad falls under the big Iphone/smartphone category so it probably means that Apple takes a lot of what you can and cant do with the device. I think people wanted a full os device that wouldn't leave them as restricted as they are going to be.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously if this thing was loaded down with all the things people have moaned over the last 2 days it would not be thin,light and probably run hot as hell besides costing 3 times as much.

what part about a netbook having all the things that the ipad doesn't, in pretty much the same footprint, albeit thicker, but weighing no more at a third to half the cost of the ipad do you not understand?

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...anything bigger than a brick zune is not going anywhere with me.

I think the size equation changes dramatically when you think of the size/weight savings gained by not having to carry around all of the stuff that the iPad potentially replaces:

--No need to carry bulky books/mags/newspapers;

--No need for a netbook for surfing, social networking and light computing tasks like
email or word processing;

--No need for a separate music/video player in many situations. Not for jogging,
obviously, but certainly for vacations or commuting.

Compared to that stack of stuff, the iPad seems pretty small and very convenient.

As my previous posts in this thread will show, I am by no means an Apple fan, and I am by no means convinced that this device will take off. There's no denying, however, that Apple has shown over and over again that they can discern, for better or worse, what the consuming public wants. If they offer the most demanded functions in a slick package, the general public will line up to buy it, regardless of whether self-conscious geeks like me are interested.

I don't want one, but I wouldn't bet against the iPad just yet. I do think they will have to lower the price fairly substantially, but I don't think the high tariff will scare off early adopters.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what part about a netbook having all the things that the ipad doesn't, in pretty much the same footprint, albeit thicker, but weighing no more at a third to half the cost of the ipad do you not understand?

I am not the one confused about what the iPad offers and doesn't at that price
point from Apple.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #44 of 51
It's fast, damn fast. (Apple's new CPUs will also be in the next iPhone).

It's a new platform >>> the developers are going to make some awesome apps for it.

Remember what people said about the iPod in 2001?

The killer blow will be dealt in the Apple store when you use it.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess people did not watch the keynote as it was presented as a device that would fit
nicely in between the iPhone and a Mac. Seriously if this thing was loaded down with all the things people have moaned over the last 2 days it would not be thin,light and probably run hot as hell besides costing 3 times as much.

The three things people most people want, and it can be done quickly, and actually REDUCE the price.

250 gb small-platter hard drive. (PS: Cost SAVINGS)
2 gb ram (Ram is EXTREMELY cheap right now.)
Replace the A4 with an Atom running at 1.6ghz. (PS: Cost SAVINGS.)

With those specs, it could run a full OSX, and pretty well. If it had these things, and was done at $399, it would be a complete game changer.

But no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back