Apple In-Ear Headphones VS Etymotic Mc5
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JFraser

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Apple In-Ear Headphones about 3 years ago. They sound good, but they have never fit properly. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Etymotic Mc5's, especially since they provide better isolation than the Apple IEMs and are probably more comfortable. They are also the same price I paid for my Apple IEM's 3 years ago. Are the Etymotic Mc5's better than my Apple IEM's? In what ways are the Etymotic Mc5's better than my Apple IEM's?

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't comment on the Etymotics, but if you don't like the fit on the Apple IEMs (and few people do) try upgrading the cushions to the Sony EP-EX10A set.  They come with four different sizes so you'll get a better fit, plus they're shaped a bit better.  It's well worth the $8-$15.  I think there's also a Comply set that fits, but I can't comment on those either and the usual Comply pros & cons apply.

I couldn't even use the Apple cushions for more than a few minutes before, and the sound quality suffered so much due to the poor (and shifty) seal that I didn't really want to anyway.  With the Sony cushions, however, they're simply fantastic in both fit and sound quality.

The black ones might be cheaper or easier to find than the white, but they don't look bad (in my opinion) especially since you don't see much of them when they're in your ears.  You could also get both sets and have color-coded left/right ears, which is something I've been thinking about.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know, but I think he is talking about the dual driver IEM - not earpods or buds....

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, you're right. I'm talking about the Apple dual-driver IEMs.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I'm talking about the Apple dual-driver IEMs.

I thought so - but unfortunately, all I can do is point you in the direction of joker's IEM thread  where both units are reviewed. I haven't any experience with either of them.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 6
I was making the same assumption as well.  Seriously, try those Sony cushions, it's definitely worth a shot (especially compared to the cost of getting new IEMs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back