Apple IEM
Dec 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #46 of 117
By the way, I think people are trying to compare these new Apple IEM's to something more expensive like the Shure SE210, which I think is a mistake given how fairly decent the sound quality of the SE210 is.

A better comparison would be something like the Audio Technica ATH-CK7, Etymotic ER6i, or something more in the same price range.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #47 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I think people are trying to compare these new Apple IEM's to something more expensive like the Shure SE210, which I think is a mistake given how fairly decent the sound quality of the SE210 is.

A better comparison would be something like the Audio Technica ATH-CK7, Etymotic ER6i, or something more in the same price range.

Um, in that Gizmodo review it didn't even beat the not-so-good-value Shure SE110's so I really don't hold up much hope for these particularly when the sub $100 earphone market is so saturated with such good value IEM's and earphones alreadly.

Hehe, I have a DT880 and this is my 880th post :p

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #48 of 117
Quote:

Lol. That's a great idea. Except. The ER6i are considered better than the SE210
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #49 of 117
Quote:

First, nobody has mentioned the SE210 with them yet.

Second, look at the review from gizmodo
Lightning Review: New Apple In-Ear Headphones

If they can't stand up to the SE110, then they CERTAINLY can't stand up to the 6i or CK7 either.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #50 of 117
can't say that review would be very accurate. I own 3 shures, My most impression on shure IEM is they just come more expensive than those competitors with similar sound quality, while that apply to the se110 as well. But somehow, reviewers like to put shure on the reference side, and never quite admitted the rivals are better.
In this case, just looking at the technology inside the two, The apple one would be at least as good as the shures.

apple usually makes a big profit out of the stuff they sell, but that does not mean in the IEM industry, manufactures don't make a big profit. actually, people can get a factory se530 at 200 bucks in china, and sellers still earn a lot from that price tag.

often times, price is not the key factor to tell us how good it is, it is our ears.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #51 of 117
Do you think that the staff writers at Gizmondo and Engadget or cnet are qualified to really give these a complete review? I would like to see a more in depth review of these things.

I am personally considering a pair unless they sound completely horrible. Here's why... I use my iPhone at work with the stock earbuds for now. Yea the sound quality of the stock earbuds is garbage but, they have the remote and mic inline with the cord.

The mic of course let's you talk to someone on the phone if you get a call but the integrated button is a nice feature as well. Squeezing the button once will pause the music, great if you need to have a conversation with a coworker or answer the phone. Pressing it again will resume the music. Double-squeeze and you'll skip to the next track, triple-squeeze and it's back to the beginning of the track of the previous track if you repeat the process.

The new Apple IEMs retain all of those features on the iPhone. The only thing you can not do on the iPhone is raise and lower the volume with the inline remote, for that you have to have one of the latest iPods.

Hopefully Apple will figure out a way to make that work on the iPhone as well and provide us a software update.

You can't do all of that with typical IEMs. I don't bring my AKGs to work so if the new Apple IEMs sound halfway decent I wouldn't mind spending $80 on them to be able to to quickly pause Queensryche or Dream Theater when my boss walks up and want's to ask me a question.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #52 of 117
i don't read gizmodo more than i can throw a refrigerator. they seem to be outclassed by a porta potty. i don't know if they have ears or not but id wait to hear from better sources. that does not include headfi really as i think we can expect the reviews to be sour no matter the real outcome.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #53 of 117
@broodwich
why dont you just buy the new nuforce ne 7m
it is comparable to the Klipsch Image X10(thats saying somthing)
and it has all the iphone mic/music fuctions in the inline remote.
apple obviously didnt have the iphone in mind when they made there iem,

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #54 of 117
iLounge have posted a quick look at the new In-Ears. They say that they are relatively flat, with a present but subdued bass and clear but not overly bright highs. Mids are clear and defined.

Seem to be pretty good so far, will definitely be interested in picking up a pair when some more full-fledged reviews come out.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #55 of 117
I'm waiting for the reviews from you guys. I value your user reviews far above anything from ilounge, engadget and gizmodo. Ilounge gave a good review to a pair of Sony earphones that I bought on their recomemdation. They are so rediculously sibilant that I can't listen to them and actually prefer the stock apple earbuds to them. (the ex77 I believe. It's the update to the ex70.) engadget and gizmodo are good news sites but their reviews and commentary in their articles are laughably bad and obviously uninformed. They basically only know as much as the average consumer about everything and act like they are an authority.

You guys on the other hand love headphones and can give honest intelligent opinions about what it's good for, if anything, and what it's bad for as well as other plusses and minuses.

Ps. Thanks to you guys I now have the er-4p and I am very happy with them

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't read gizmodo more than i can throw a refrigerator. they seem to be outclassed by a porta potty. i don't know if they have ears or not but id wait to hear from better sources. that does not include headfi really as i think we can expect the reviews to be sour no matter the real outcome.

in their "headphone battle" they ranked the SE110 as having better sound quality than the UE super.fi 3 and the etymotic er6i. which means they hold the se110 in very high regard. maybe the apple IEMs are better than what gizmondo is implying...

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #57 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by obliquity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in their "headphone battle" they ranked the SE110 as having better sound quality than the UE super.fi 3 and the etymotic er6i. which means they hold the se110 in very high regard. maybe the apple IEMs are better than what gizmondo is implying...

But then you have to consider the fact that they DID rank SE110 above those other IEMs, maybe they then don't know what to look for in the first place.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then you have to consider the fact that they DID rank SE110 above those other IEMs, maybe they then don't know what to look for in the first place.

exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back