Apple Earpods
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

LostArk

Head-Fier
I was wondering if there are any IEMs similar to the Apple Earpods with respect to the fact that they don't have any kind of tip that inserts into the ear canal. I've tried IEM tips in every possible shape and material and all of them have been intolerably uncomfortable. I finally had some ear impressions done and sent them off to ACS to get custom tips for my Etymotics, but I'd like to have a pair of IEMs I don't have to worry about losing or damaging. So far the Apple Earpods seem to be my only option, but I'd be very interested in any alternatives.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 33
Stupid question but I still have to ask: have you tried Comply Foam Tips?

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 33
I don't get why he wants something that sounds like the Apple Earpods and doesn't have silicon tips. There aren't many earbuds on the market. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:
I don't get why he wants something that sounds like the Apple Earpods and doesn't have silicon tips. There aren't many earbuds on the market. 

I want something that sounds better, because silicon tips (or any tips) cause me discomfort. I like the Apple Earpods because they fit better than earbuds.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:
The custom tips that you got should work fine.

I'd like to have a pair of "beater" IEMs that I wouldn't have to worry about losing or breaking - you know, for the gym, stuffing in my pocket as I run out the door etc. The custom tips I got are more for when I want mega isolation at home or travelling. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 33
I'm not really sure about earbuds, sorry. There really aren't many good in ears that do not have the tips. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Thanks for the tip (pun intended)!

You are welcome.  Remember that when you use Comply Foam Tips (or any other memory foam ones), you need to give them a good squeeze, then insert and let it expend.  Don't worry about them looking like **** because it is heat activated and will expend back out over time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:
You are welcome.  Remember that when you use Comply Foam Tips (or any other memory foam ones), you need to give them a good squeeze, then insert and let it expend.  Don't worry about them looking like **** because it is heat activated and will expend back out over time.

I do find that they make the treble sound rolled off though. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 33
Apparently, posters on head-fi don't find earpods cool either because they're packaged free with iphones, because previous apple earbuds sucked, or because they're searching for a more obscure, esoteric and/or expensive brand to differentiate themselves from the masses.

If none of those irrational (and therefore irrelevant) factors matter to you, then I recommend you simply install foam covers on your earpods. Better sound, better fit. Very inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back