Apple Earpods
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
Apparently, posters on head-fi don't find earpods cool either because they're packaged free with iphones, because previous apple earbuds sucked, or because they're searching for a more obscure, esoteric and/or expensive brand to differentiate themselves from the masses.

If none of those irrational (and therefore irrelevant) factors matter to you, then I recommend you simply install foam covers on your earpods. Better sound, better fit. Very inexpensive.

The original buds truly sucked, and I did tried the new pods when I got my iPod Touch 5th Gen.  I can say that they are an improvement in terms of stock accessory goes, but any decent $50 IEM will still blows it away.  So unless you really don't care about the sound of your music, then getting a decent pair of IEM is still a must.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
 So unless you really don't care about the sound of your music, then getting a decent pair of IEM is still a must.

Stating that everyone who likes their earpods don't care about the sound of their music is TOTALLY false.    I care about the sound of my music, but I also wear earpods because I use them when walking and running on busy city streets and I NEED to hear what is going on in my surroundings, AND, I have major problems with excessive ear wax, so in both of these situations, IEM's won't work for me.

The earpods with foamies installed, works really well for me and they sound good too, and I care about the sound of my music.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 33
^ get yuin pk3 then.

Funny you should mention that. I got the PK3's about a month ago. Kept them for 2 days and then sent them back. The top end and the upper midrange was wayyyyyy to bright for me. Two days with those and I had enough. For me, the earpods are MUCH more balanced.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
The original buds truly sucked, and I did tried the new pods when I got my iPod Touch 5th Gen.  I can say that they are an improvement in terms of stock accessory goes, but any decent $50 IEM will still blows it away.  So unless you really don't care about the sound of your music, then getting a decent pair of IEM is still a must.

You mean like the klipsch s4i?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I got the PK3's about a month ago. Kept them for 2 days and then sent them back. The top end and the upper midrange was wayyyyyy to bright for me. Two days with those and I had enough. For me, the earpods are MUCH more balanced.

PK3, bright? you sure you didn't get PK2 instead?

Maybe you should get beats for your next investment.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

You mean like the klipsch s4i?

That one is not too bad but a bit bass heavy to my liking.  The Sennheiser CX300 (also bass heavy) is MSRP $30 and can be had for much less if shop around.  If you just want to get into IEMs without breaking the bank, then that's another good pick.  Of course you already mention the s4i at about $50, then there is the Sleek-Audio SA1 at $70 (or various UE), and the much loved Klipsch X10 at $100 (or whatever others recommend at that level).  No idea at the $200 level, but a lot of people like the Ety HF5.  For $300-500 we have the SA7, UE900, SE535, W4R and so on.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
 Stating that everyone who likes their earpods don't care about the sound of their music is TOTALLY false.    I care about the sound of my music, but I also wear earpods because I use them when walking and running on busy city streets and I NEED to hear what is going on in my surroundings, AND, I have major problems with excessive ear wax, so in both of these situations, IEM's won't work for me.

The earpods with foamies installed, works really well for me and they sound good too, and I care about the sound of my music.

You understand that it was only a general statement and not mean to offend right?  Because if you have comfort problems with them, then just use on-ear or over-ear headphones and be happy, as there are tons of good ones out there.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #24 of 33
PK3, bright? you sure you didn't get PK2 instead?

Maybe you should get beats for your next investment.

No, they were the Pk3's.

Why should I if I am currently happy with the EarPods?

You understand that it was only a general statement and not mean to offend right?  Because if you have comfort problems with them, then just use on-ear or over-ear headphones and be happy, as there are tons of good ones out there.

Don't want to use on-ear or over-ear headphones due to the heat and sweat issue when out and about on warm/hot days.

What I find kind of amusing about all this is that every comment here is that I "should" try something else other than the Pods that I already have and that no one has stated that maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't look elsewhere if I am satisfied with the Earpods. I mean someday, I may not be satisfied with them and may be looking for something else, but I never implied that I was and yet, everyone is suggesting that I dump them.

Kinda odd...........Did it ever occur to anyone that we all hear things differently, not only from a physiological standpoint, but also from a perceptual standpoint as well and that what may sound great to one person, may sound awful to another?

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #25 of 33
Ever heard expression of frog in a well?

Also, I said investment if you don't plan to venture further however I'm happy for you and your wallet (not so much for your ears, but eh).

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
That one is not too bad but a bit bass heavy to my liking.  The Sennheiser CX300 (also bass heavy) is MSRP $30 and can be had for much less if shop around.  If you just want to get into IEMs without breaking the bank, then that's another good pick.  Of course you already mention the s4i at about $50, then there is the Sleek-Audio SA1 at $70 (or various UE), and the much loved Klipsch X10 at $100 (or whatever others recommend at that level).  No idea at the $200 level, but a lot of people like the Ety HF5.  For $300-500 we have the SA7, UE900, SE535, W4R and so on.

Not too bad? Klipsch s4i are complete garbage. At any price.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
Not too bad? Klipsch s4i are complete garbage. At any price.

Well I understand, but we are talking about the s4i compare to the Apple Earpods...

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #28 of 33
Reading this thread got me curious of how they sound. My gf has a pair, but I'll have to travel 6K miles for trying them on. Hmmm... *thinks of nothing in particular*

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #29 of 33
I disliked most tips on earbuds until I tried Comply memory foam tips. While they wear out after a couple of months' use (at least in my ears), they are relatively inexpensive to change out. They come in packs of 3 pairs. They are the only earbud tips that seal really well in my ears. Sound of the earbuds improved dramatically, especially low bass. They stay in so well that I sleep in them playing environmental sounds to help me stay down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back