Apple "Boot Camp" allows you to run Windows on your Mac!
Apr 5, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 43
Wow, didn't see this one coming. Great progress though! Wonder what this does to Mac popularity, might be a good time to invest in some stocks.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 43
Sweet. I'm glad they didn't announce this sooner (like April 1st). lol

now only if they will make the 17" Macbooks.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
Although duel-booting windows IS an option on your Mac(TM) computer, apple systems is not responsible for any: Coughing up of lungs, evil chanting, or demonic possession that may arise from the instillation of Microsoft Windows onto your Mac(TM) computer system.

Oof, I also hear it voids your warrenty.
eek.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RsConqueror
Oof, I also hear it voids your warrenty.
eek.gif

No, it doesn't, but reports (NYT) indicate Apple will not support Window applications.
Still, this might provide relief for the virus problems endemic to the Windows system. Use your Apple internet browsers on the net, but still use your more varied Windows applications on the computer. (Untill the hackers catch on
eek.gif
)

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 43
I can't help but think that this kind of thing is ass backwards. This, combined with the use of commodity hardware, makes fancy styling and EFI the only differences between the MacBook Pro and your run of the mill Dell.

I see the seeds of the Mac's doom in this. How long before Apple's just another PC selling company?

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
I can't help but think that this kind of thing is ass backwards. This, combined with the use of commodity hardware, makes fancy styling and EFI the only differences between the MacBook Pro and your run of the mill Dell.

I see the seeds of the Mac's doom in this. How long before Apple's just another PC selling company?

I think what Apple is trying to do here is attract users who would like to use Apple's OS, but can't give up certain applications or are into gaming. I know I would love to have a computer where I could use OS X for most tasks and just go into Windows to play computer games. I think it's a good move for Apple. For the first time I can truly say, "I'd buy one."

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 43
I just wish they could have done this without going with intel. I think that is a big mistake. But the people love it already, just take a look at their stocks. Up almost 6 dollars today, pretty killer...
Slade

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I think what Apple is trying to do here is attract users who would like to use Apple's OS, but can't give up certain applications or are into gaming. I know I would love to have a computer where I could use OS X for most tasks and just go into Windows to play computer games. I think it's a good move for Apple. For the first time I can truly say, "I'd buy one."

exactly, this is making me really consider buying a Macbook Pro for school next year.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
It doesn't void your warranty. This new software comes straight from Apple.

That was ment for humor.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 43
If I had the money, a MacBook Pro would be shipping to my door right now, but, alas, I am broke.

I love OS X, I love XP, and to be able to easily switch between these two would be awesome. (and if you can tri-boot with Linux... even better
icon10.gif
)

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I thought the whole point of buying was Mac was that you didn't have to run Windows.

Not really. You buy it for the simplicity and the reliability, but sometimes you wish you can run Windows for certain programs.

This is kinda like having a Sennheiser that can become a Grado at the flick of a switch.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I thought the whole point of buying was Mac was that you didn't have to run Windows.

Amen, brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back