Apple "Boot Camp" allows you to run Windows on your Mac!
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
Sure. It's called legacy users. There are millions of Mac's out there running PPC, and they will be out there for years. They cannot run Windows. These people will not stop buying software.
Also rewriting software to run on Windows is a much more difficult process than recompiling a already written piece of software to universal binary.

PPC legacy users will only be around in significant numbers for a few more years. When legacy users become a thing of the past, from a purely capitalistic perspective, it will make sense to minimize investments and maximize results by developing only for Windows. This would kill the Mac OS.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #32 of 43
So if I save a file in OSX I can't access that file in Windows?

And If for Example I use EAC to rip some wav files in Windows.. I could READ them in OS X but not write anything to them?..

And why wont Apple let people with Non apple Hardware run OS X ? seems a bit two faced.. What are they worried about? If it's That good.. ( I think it has some good features..) why not Let everyone run it... That's a lot of potential OS sales...

I Dunno, I think i'm tired of the whole Mac Vs PC thing... maybe I'm just tired... but either way I'm not sure it's such a big deal...

So I can run windows on what's essentially PC in all but name and reboot to OS X .. now swithching between the two on the fly would be interesting...

anyway.. I'm sure there's plenty of OS X user who will jump at the chance to run windows, just beacuase they can. And now you all can run foobar like the rest of us! umm what's the sound card like in one of those mac's these days? I'm curious. Anyone tried asio or Kernel streaming yet?

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester
Now, if they can just get it so OSX can read *AND* write to the windows (NTFS) partition and vice versa.. they may have a point.. until then.. well its a bit useless isnt it..

wouldn't you need two copies of all your data? and you couldn't work on one file in both OS's cos the file systems wouldn't allow it?

I don't get it.. didn't SOMEONE in apple think of this?

And I always thought Mac user wouldn't WANT windows on their machines...

So it's ok for apple to say it's illegal to run OS X on anything but apple hardware now that they're running someone elses on theirs? Can you Imagine the fuss if Microsoft said it was illegal to run Windows on Apple hardware..

All in all it seems a bit weird to me. kinda pointless..

(oh and yes I've used both and and still prefer windows)

First off you are a Windows user. That's why it seems pointless.
Second it's not illegal to rum OSX on none Apple hardware, it's illegal to make hardware that can run OSX. The whole early 90's Mac clone mess is a good lession as to why that was a bad idea.
Third why would Microsoft refuse to sell Windows to someone? They will Virtual PC up and running before the end of the year i would guess, and then you don't even dual boot.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

So if I save a file in OSX I can't access that file in Windows?

And If for Example I use EAC to rip some wav files in Windows.. I could READ them in OS X but not write anything to them?..

Sure you can. Save the file on a Windows partition. The Mac can read off both Fat 32 or NTFS, just cannot write to NTFS directly at the moment.

Quote:

And why wont Apple let people with Non apple Hardware run OS X ? seems a bit two faced.. What are they worried about? If it's That good.. ( I think it has some good features..) why not Let everyone run it... That's a lot of potential OS sales...

Apple is a hardware manufacture unlike Microsoft. They want to protect a revenue stream what's strange in that?

Quote:

So I can run windows on what's essentially PC in all but name and reboot to OS X .. now swithching between the two on the fly would be interesting...

Q, VPC, Parallels, to mention just three.

Quote:

anyway.. I'm sure there's plenty of OS X user who will jump at the chance to run windows, just beacuase they can. And now you all can run foobar like the rest of us!

True but with the ability to have the whole drive image stored on a DVD or external drive, and be able to dump a corrupt drive and fix it by just replacing the disk image.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #35 of 43
Oh I didn't realise as a windows user I was somehow unable to see things from both point's of view.
Must be beacuse I'm part of the unwashed masses who prefers not to have to pay for a new OS every year Or wants some kind of value for money when I buy a PC. Still I get amazed that some people seem to think Windows users are in some way deficient. Such arrogance. I've been Using PCs and Macs since the mid 1980's and I've always thought both systems had some good points and some very bad points. The fact that I chose to spend my own money on a windows based PC does not make me some kind of retard, nor does it make me some kind of genius, It merely means I looked at both and made an educated choice.

So attempting to fob off my reasoning with "First off you are a Windows user. That's why it seems pointless." is a little insulting to say the least.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Oh I didn't realise as a windows user I was somehow unable to see things from both point's of view.

No just lack a since of humor, jeez sorry, Next time I will remember to put in happy faces.
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That better?

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Second it's not illegal to rum OSX on none Apple hardware, it's illegal to make hardware that can run OSX. The whole early 90's Mac clone mess is a good lession as to why that was a bad idea.

Wrong. It's illegal to run OSX on non-Apple hardware. Apple doesn't sell OSX, so any use of OSX on non-Apple hardware is piracy, and therefore illegal. If it was illegal to make hardware that can run OSX, then Apple better get cracking on suing Dell, HP, and every other computer manufacturer.

Quote:

Sure. It's called legacy users. There are millions of Mac's out there running PPC, and they will be out there for years. They cannot run Windows. These people will not stop buying software.
Also rewriting software to run on Windows is a much more difficult process than recompiling a already written piece of software to universal binary.

That's not what we're talking about. PPC support will eventually die, and when it does, all of the supported Macs can run Windows. Why would you ever do an OSX version in that case? To reach the OSX ghetto of the market, when you can reach OSX and Window's combined share just by doing a Windows binary?

Quote:

True but with the ability to have the whole drive image stored on a DVD or external drive, and be able to dump a corrupt drive and fix it by just replacing the disk image.

PC users already have that ability. It's called Norton Ghost and BartPE (or whatever your choice of bootable DVDs is).

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
That's not what we're talking about. PPC support will eventually die, and when it does, all of the supported Macs can run Windows. Why would you ever do an OSX version in that case? To reach the OSX ghetto of the market, when you can reach OSX and Window's combined share just by doing a Windows binary?

That's exactly my point. Is there a compelling reason to continue developing for OSX?

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Wrong. It's illegal to run OSX on non-Apple hardware. Apple doesn't sell OSX, so any use of OSX on non-Apple hardware is piracy, and therefore illegal. If it was illegal to make hardware that can run OSX, then Apple better get cracking on suing Dell, HP, and every other computer manufacturer.

I am not a lawyer, so you may be correct.
Apple has gone after people running OSX on Intel in the past because they were using prerelease versions of the Intel version with out permission, ie they stole the software. Since you cannot buy the software currently without buying a machine you will be outside the EUA if you install it on any other machine.
We will see where this goes, but I am betting Apple does very well.

Quote:

I think you have completely missed the point. If a software designer wanted to write for windows they always could have done that. They choise not to. People who buy Macs buy Mac software, not Windows. Given the choice even if they could buy the same software and run it in Windows they will buy Mac. The Microsoft Mac Business Software division is one of the most profitable in the company. I just don't see that changing. And if Apple gets more market share you will see more developers coming back to, and starting to produce Mac apps.
Quote:

PC users already have that ability. It's called Norton Ghost and BartPE (or whatever your choice of bootable DVDs is).

Cool.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
That's exactly my point. Is there a compelling reason to continue developing for OSX?

Because that's what Mac users will buy. And you will make money.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #41 of 43
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd really rather have the other way around: run OS X on my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back