Apple announced a new, powered Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, making portable iPhone DAC/Amp-solutions easier.
Mar 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fruchtfliege

New Head-Fier
Apple announced a new "camera"-adapter, which this time includes a female lightning port which can be used to supply the adapter with power, thus enabling the use of power hungy external devices. Right now you can achieve the same by bundling the old camera connection kit with a powered USB hub, but now you have one fewer device hanging from your iPhone or iPod. I imagine you can use a mobile power bank to power the adapter and use your favorite DAC/Amp with your iDevice.

Link: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Nice!  That's perfect for connecting to any iDevice and running the USB out into the DAC of your choice!
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 7
This works with the iphone 5 and charges it too. The order you plug things in seems important for dacs that are over the power draw limit. Power connector to adapter => adapter to iphone => dac to adapter. If the phone is disconnected, you have to disconnect the dac, reconnect the phone, then reconnect the dac. Geekout 450 and Schiit Fulla works without a usb hub with this thing too. Dacs that don't require a hub like a hifimediy sabre 9018 or a idsp, the order of connection doesn't matter.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 7
  It does work i.e. with CEntrance DACport Slim without power bank ?

It works on my CEntrance DACport HD, exactly as @asak describes above.

But guys...so many threads. This is the fourth thread I've seen on the same topic. I'm going to post my findings in the first thread. If we're collecting information on this neat device, it does help to keep it in one thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802408/new-apple-lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter-39-an-official-answer-for-usb-dac-and-ipad

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, I found the lightning to USB works with the cyberdrive clarity USB dac. However I also found that it will not do data in from the lightning side port. I tried using my Ixpand USB drive along with any dac, does not recognize the Ixpand drive. So it is power in on the lightning side only, and data on the USB side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back