Apple>amp/dac>Senn HD580s
Feb 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been a bit of a headphone geek for years and can't believe I just found this place. My bedroom system is an iRiver portable>Headroom Airhead>Senn HD580s, but I'm about to rip most of my cds to lossless files and I need an amp/dac to take USB or firewire from my laptop. I need recommendations!

FWIW I like sound that is clear and well-defined and the Senns are warm and forgiving enough. I don't think I need tubes...

Tim

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 48
As you'll see from my signature, my MBP is my main source. I started out with the HD580s and have moved on to the HD650s. I have had a great experience with the Slee Solo. I bought it at the same time as a Corda Cantate and HR Max Desktop. I sold the Cantate and returned the HR. I do have a HR Ultra Micro DAC right now and love it! But the Micro DAC is just as nice for the money. Hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you'll see from my signature, my MBP is my main source. I started out with the HD580s and have moved on to the HD650s. I have had a great experience with the Slee Solo. I bought it at the same time as a Corda Cantate and HR Max Desktop. I sold the Cantate and returned the HR. I do have a HR Ultra Micro DAC right now and love it! But the Micro DAC is just as nice for the money. Hope this helps.

Pardon my cluelessness...MBP? And the Slee Solo looks like a nice piece but I don't see any digital input. I'm looking for a simple system that can go from laptop, to a single amp/DAC device, to the cans.'

Tim

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 48
Budget?
wink.gif

When I think "simple setup" and "dynamic cans" I automatically think "Headroom" as they have integrated DAC/AMP solutions at any budget. Depending on your setup, I would also consider ditching the USB and to go for AirportExpress / AirTunes.

PS: Oh, and MBP = MacBook Pro

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 48
I am really pleased with my HD580s using them directly from an Apogee Duet (DAC and headphone amp in one gizmo).

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 48
I can tell you the Move is a great portable, though the DAC could be a bit stronger - but the amp is superb with my modified HD580s - very clear and detailed. The new model 2Move reportedly has a great DAC (new and improved), and the same amp as the Move.

If I were after a high quality, small transportable that sounds great (according to all) - I'd get the 2Move - which is also value priced.

On the other hand... if I were after a larger home amp... with your set up... I'd, likely, get the Solo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a bit of a headphone geek for years and can't believe I just found this place. My bedroom system is an iRiver portable>Headroom Airhead>Senn HD580s, but I'm about to rip most of my cds to lossless files and I need an amp/dac to take USB or firewire from my laptop. I need recommendations!

FWIW I like sound that is clear and well-defined and the Senns are warm and forgiving enough. I don't think I need tubes...

Tim

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you the Move is a great portable, though the DAC could be a bit stronger - but the amp is superb with my modified HD580s - very clear and detailed. The new model 2Move reportedly has a great DAC (new and improved), and the same amp as the Move.

If I were after a high quality, small transportable that sounds great (according to all) - I'd get the 2Move - which is also value priced.

On the other hand... if I were after a larger home amp... with your set up... I'd, likely, get the Solo.

Who makes the Move and the Solo?

Tim

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget?
wink.gif

When I think "simple setup" and "dynamic cans" I automatically think "Headroom" as they have integrated DAC/AMP solutions at any budget. Depending on your setup, I would also consider ditching the USB and to go for AirportExpress / AirTunes.

PS: Oh, and MBP = MacBook Pro

I'd like to get this done for < $500, but I'm in no hurry, and willing to shop for used. This is audiophile stuff, after all, and there are lots of gearheads who buy/sell/trade all the time. I suspect the used market is pretty robust.

Wouldn't Apple Air use the soundcard and dac inside my iBook? And if so, is that a bad thing? Its headphone out actually sounds pretty good bumped up with my Airhead. Very quiet. How does the Air effect the sonics? Is it actually better than USB?

Sorry for so many newbie questions.

Tim

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't Apple Air use the soundcard and dac inside my iBook? And if so, is that a bad thing? Its headphone out actually sounds pretty good bumped up with my Airhead. Very quiet. How does the Air effect the sonics? Is it actually better than USB?

AirPort Express is nifty, but if you can already get a digital signal directly out of your Mac, it's a worthless step/device unless you want to connect it to powered speakers somewhere else or to an outboard DAC.

For $500, you can get either an Apogee Duet (FireWire interface) or a Pico (USB interface), and both are elegant and high quality solutions.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 48
Airport Express is a wireless router that has the ability to receive music wirelessly from itunes and output it digitally to a dac. It allows you to be electrically separate from the dirty power that is in a computer.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Airport Express is a wireless router that has the ability to receive music wirelessly from itunes and output it digitally to a dac. It allows you to be electrically separate from the dirty power that is in a computer.

I'd agree with that for the most part. In the OP's case, this would just add a hundred bucks to the cost of the setup and limit the choice of DACs to those with optical digital input instead of the simpler and more elegant FireWire and USB solutions. What I wouldn't see the same way is the already bit-perfect digital signal on all newer Macs as being "dirty power," if that's what was meant. For getting a digital signal from a Mac with digital audio output to a DAC, I think it's better to do it directly via an appropriate cable than to further complicate things by using AirPort Express.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 48
I was just explaining what it was, not suggesting it. I'd (I did
smily_headphones1.gif
) go with pico or duet. Nothing else in the computer as source arena is even close in that price range.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 48
Sennheiser HD-555 seemed really synergistic with my dad's first generation Nano unamped. (HD-555 sound very different than HD600 / HD650)

You could try HD-555 plugged directly into the audio out of your Apple computer and see what you think.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 48
I just hooked up my Apple Lossless>iBook> EMU 0404 USB>Little Dot II+> Senn 595 and canNOT believe how good it sounds!

I know I am a noobie with unsophisticated ears, but all of that (except iBook) for less than $400? I think this is one of the audiophile bargains of all time.

I also tried Lossless>2G Nano>Little Dot II+>Senn 595. Wow!

The LD and Senns were purchased used from other Head-fiers.

This is a whole 'nother listening level than I have ever experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back