Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #962 of 979
Also wondering -- I think I saw some posts here but haven't dug back through -- does the ANC normally not do much/anything for higher frequencies? Vacuuming, for example, the motor noise is largely gone, but the hissing of air through the narrow hose attachments remains. Some sounds seem almost amplified. (Don't have a good example for that but will try to listen more closely.)

According to this graph from RTings that doesn't seem unusual: https://www.rtings.com/assets/pages/C1ZQQDgM/isolation-fw5b58-vs-fw5e133-large.jpg
But I think I recall someone saying they took theirs back to the store, had them tested there and found that they failed, so got a replacement on the spot.

If it's normal, that's fine, I'll just try foam tips in situations where I want more noise cancelling.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #963 of 979
I haven't really been keeping up with issues (if any, but I know refreshes and especially first-gen products of anything Apple always has problems) but have there been any major issues with the second-gen Airpod Pros? And is there news of a complete redesign on the horizon in late '24 or is that more likely '25-'26?
I reckon (and hope) it will be more likely 25-26.
They just release a stealthy update of the AirPods Pros 2.
The variant with the USB-C charging case is the only one that will work with the Vision Pro in combination with lossless audio.
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/13/apple-vision-pro-lossless-new-airpods-pro-2-only/

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #964 of 979
Also wondering -- I think I saw some posts here but haven't dug back through -- does the ANC normally not do much/anything for higher frequencies? Vacuuming, for example, the motor noise is largely gone, but the hissing of air through the narrow hose attachments remains. Some sounds seem almost amplified. (Don't have a good example for that but will try to listen more closely.)

AFAIK this is normal, passive noise isolation is good against highs and ANC is good against lower frequencies.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #965 of 979

According to this graph from RTings that doesn't seem unusual: https://www.rtings.com/assets/pages/C1ZQQDgM/isolation-fw5b58-vs-fw5e133-large.jpg
But I think I recall someone saying they took theirs back to the store, had them tested there and found that they failed, so got a replacement on the spot.

If it's normal, that's fine, I'll just try foam tips in situations where I want more noise cancelling.
It was pretty funny to see the reactions back in '19 since many reviewers (and users) had never actually dealt with any kind of ANC before, so it was a case of 'OMG THIS IS AMAZING' to 'THIS CANCELS NUTHIN' depending on your Apple-bias tendencies / expectations coming from a full-size ANC phone.

The (1st gen, obvsly can't speak for the second) APP is pretty mediocre when it comes to ANC, but it is fine for taking the edge off noises that passive isolation can't... as mentioned before, lower frequencies, and the tips fit me well so there's at least a Sony-plug-type level of passive isolation. >10 years ago when I was flying around far more often, I used to carry & rotate between the Bose and the fitted JHA / generic in-ears with foams for the same reason, there were some flights where the jet rumble was actually more annoying than the babies and turbine whoosh that the JHA dulled better, so I'd make the compromise in-flight. The Apples are like a far worse combination of both which nevertheless gets the job more or less done.

What really puts the APP over the edge for me compared to any other TWE (or even any *headphone*) as an iOS+some Mac user is obviously the convenience features - not the sound quality, not the ANC. I started out with only APP's but also threw in a mix of AP's during the pandemic for home-only use, and it's invaluable to me that I can just pick up any of them, sit at any of my Apple devices and it will more often than not realise which device it needs to insta-pair to. If I'm in a marathon meeting I can have multiple sets at the ready and just swap when I see one's getting low without really interrupting anything.

I do wish I could skip Transparency mode though... it's a redundant feature for me that I have to cycle through every time I want to go from ANC to Off. Almost 20 years ago when Matt from Shure showed me the prototype PTH unit for their IEM's I was like oh wow this is amazing... but even back then, after I got the production unit I realised I kind of like talking to people with 10-20db of isolation :ksc75smile:

Getting back to my original post though, two of my APP's have finally developed the infamous crunchgate so I can't use them outside anymore, which means I only have two outside pairs left... and all of them were bought between late '19 and mid '20, so they're getting on a bit. Could replace now, but would be nice to replace with a completely new-generation product.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #966 of 979
I do wish I could skip Transparency mode though... it's a redundant feature for me that I have to cycle through every time I want to go from ANC to Off
At least on the APP 2gen this is possible.
1701608999541.png

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #967 of 979
Just for the heck of it, I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment to have the ANC tested on mine. Will probably be fine but just curious, and may also have some questions about sound settings. I typically prefer to mess with new tech and learn things on my own rather than be taught, but if the employee has anything new to impart, I'm all ears (sorry for the terrible pun).

Also tried out the Adaptive noise control mode and liked it in general. Initially, I didn't think it would be of much use. But in this instance I was walking for a few miles down a busy street that then transitioned to a wooded area, and that mode gave a good balance of being able to hear my surroundings but not too much of them (big busses and trucks passing close by), still hear the music, and still be fully "present" when I wanted to (talking to my dog and other people). The responses were a bit strange and unexpected at times -- seemed to go in and out of heavier isolation with different sounds, and there may have been a difference in L and R response (but that may have been coincidental stereo pan in the music) -- but as I got used to it I appreciated it more and more.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #968 of 979
Been on holiday for 3 weeks, I took

> Campfire Andromeda + Fiio utsw5 for an LDAC true wireless experience
>airpods Pro 2

Every day ive packed both in my bag. After week 1 the campfire's haven't come out once. I think I actually prefer the timbre and open presentation of the APP2, and certainly the comfort. Plus BA bass is just not doing it for me lol...

The thing with APP2 to is I never feel myself wanting more. They provide a great soundstage, solid detail and a fantastic tonal balance. I think Apple has actually killed off the need for most iems at this point, at with APP3 it could be very likely that even more us will just jump ship and abandon our kilobuck purchases...
I don’t have the AirPods Pro, but I do have a couple of True Wireless IEMs and the Andromeda 2020. I never use the andromeda because they are not convenient. I listen to my home system when I’m at home, and while commuting or exercising it is too much of a hassle to use the Andromeda. They are beautiful and I don’t dislike their sound, but I’m valuing much more fit, comfort and ANC in recent years.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #970 of 979
Can anyone tell me I'm crazy but this EQ in Wavelet makes APP2 sounds way better... obviously not every recording and it's a tad V-ish but still..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_185300.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_185300.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #973 of 979
I am trying to understand whether or not the AirPods Pro 2 with the USB-C case sound different from the previous AirPods Pro 2. I don't believe that's the case, but I can't find evidence either.

I have seen two comparisons so far :

https://www.0db.co.kr/REVIEW_0DB/3457950

I don't think that there is any evidence of a difference in sound indeed beyond what you'd typically get from sample variation or seatings to seatings / methodological variation when measuring them.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #974 of 979
I have seen two comparisons so far :

https://www.0db.co.kr/REVIEW_0DB/3457950

I don't think that there is any evidence of a difference in sound indeed beyond what you'd typically get from sample variation or seatings to seatings / methodological variation when measuring them.

Thanks for the link to the video. They seem indeed the same.
Thanks!

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #975 of 979
I am trying to understand whether or not the AirPods Pro 2 with the USB-C case sound different from the previous AirPods Pro 2. I don't believe that's the case, but I can't find evidence either.
Why would they change the sound between the two models with the same name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back