Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Mar 12, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #781 of 979
People who make money making reviews are always motivated by financial incentives. It doesn't matter if they are reviewing $10.000 DAC's or $250.000 speakers
My comment about DACs and speakers is only for reference that this person knowing about audio.

But you putting ALL reviewers that making money in the same category is very silly, is similar like saying that ALL politicians are bad, corrupt or immoral. The very majority of reviewers for me are rubbish and/or very incompetent, BUT you still seeing few reviewers that are very good and with integrity.

But please continue with your very ‘entertaining’ generalisations and ‘lessons’.

If you cannot hear the big difference in soundstage between the APP2 and a $99 XM3 post-EQ, then best is to stay away from full sized headphone indeed and save your money

In my signature you see several full sized headphones, wired and wireless, that I owning presently. BUT thank you immensely for your ‘very good’ advice.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #783 of 979
I hate to have to say this, but perhaps you prefer all bass and no mids or highs?

And I have the Sony WH-1000XM4, which I do not particularly like even when EQ'd with the free Sony app. The biggest problem with the WH-1000XM4 is the quality of the bass, not just the quantity. The Sony app's EQ does not do enough to fix all of the problems of the WH-1000XM4: You cannot properly reduce the bass with that app - either you get too little bass, or you get bass that bleeds all over the lower mids. Nothing in between because the app's EQ isn't granular enough to make much of a difference. Only an expensive (relatively speaking) paid app equalizer can come anywhere close to fixing that muddy bass response.

And yes, I did try the brighter settings as well as the custom EQ settings with the WH-1000XM4. But while that made things more balanced, the mids (especially upper mids) still sounded wonky.

Sound quality out of the box at default settings is the biggest factor for me. EQ is good only for fine tuning an already good set of headphones or earbuds, not for fixing a seriously flawed-sounding pair of them.

As such, I found that the Sony WH-1000XM4's sound quality is much farther away from my ideal over-ear headphone sound quality criteria than the APP2's is to my ideal earbud/IEM sound quality criteria.

Totally agree.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #785 of 979
Did not bother tip rolling ; after all the stock tips are soft and fit fine. I didn't buy Apple Gen2 Pro's for their sound quality.

Noise isolation is significantly better than previous generation and more than enough to be flying short 3-4 hour trips with.

Personally, I've enjoyed them as gaming earbuds and they seem almost spatial audio compatible with the PS5. I don't know for sure, but with a bluetooth dongle, they are very handy gaming IEM's. Unorthodox but works. Mostly.

Still have the odd occasion where one side will/won't connect.
What dongle do you use with ps5? How you rate sound of gaming in AirPods Pro 2 on ps5?
I connect them to my oled Lg tv by bluetooth, and tv to ps5 by hdmi. But sound not good. No soundstage and anything. Maybe dongle connection right to ps5 will be better?

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #786 of 979
What dongle do you use with ps5? How you rate sound of gaming in AirPods Pro 2 on ps5?
I connect them to my oled Lg tv by bluetooth, and tv to ps5 by hdmi. But sound not good. No soundstage and anything. Maybe dongle connection right to ps5 will be better?
This lack of soundstage problem is very common in most in-ear phones. None of the in-ears have any soundstage to speak of.

It might be that you are not much of an in-ear fan. Over-ear headphones are more up[ your alley. The problem is that most Bluetooth wireless over-ears leave something to be desired (sound-quality-wise).

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #787 of 979
I must speaking about Apple's really, really excellent support and customer service.

After almost 6 months with my APP2, 3 days ago, on Tuesday morning, the earphones are dead and the case too, so I can't connecting anything or seeing status of the case or earphones (in all my 5 Apple devices). I trying charging the case (wirelessly and cabled) but nothing is happening. Resetting case isn't working either.

So, I calling Apple support and next day (Wednesday) they coming to my house for collecting the APP2 (case and earphones). Shipping is express service, so my unit arriving next day in Apple in Czech Republic (yesterday, Thursday). The same day, at about 12:15 afternoon, I receiving one email saying they receiving my APP 2 and will looking and repairing if necessary. Then about 1,5 hours after I receiving other email saying that they repairing my APP 2 already and shipping soon. The same day (yesterday, Thursday) they sending back my repair APP2 by express shipping too.

Today, I receiving the repair unit. They explaining in the notes that they replacing both earpieces only and doing nothing to the case.

All is working perfectly now. And all of this in 3 days! Very impressive!!

But the best thing, and BIG surprise, is that from the first day, in my case, the old APP2 connecting to my Panasonic OLED TV but volume isn't sufficiently loud at all like with my AP 2 and AP 3, but isn't big problem for me because is usually 90% I'm using AP3 only with my TV, but not great the 10% when I want using the APP2. The replacement earpieces aren't only connecting perfectly to the same Panasonic TV, but volume is even more loud than AP2 and AP3, so at 20 setting (out of 100) is already very sufficiently loud (before, with first APP2 pair, I going to 100 volume setting and isn't even loud like is at 15 now). Great!

This isn't the first time that I receiving excellent service from Apple, but this time everything finishing in 3 days is really very remarkable, specially when Apple isn't saving money and is using the more expensive express shipping option (one day) in both shipments. In my 23 years as Apple customer is great seeing that customer service and support are still first class. This isn't true of so many other companies.

EDIT: By the way, I don't paying extra for Apple Care when I buying my APP 2, and never having Apple Care in the past either.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #788 of 979
The Avantree dg80 works well enough. Sometimes you have to disconnect other devices or fiddle if it doesn’t pair right away.

It’s good enough for hogwarts legacy. I’m not a hardcore gamer.

Soundstage is never going to be ideal on an IEM.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #789 of 979
how you use “spatial audio” in Apple Music? I mean always on? Or switch track with dolby Atmos>>spatial audio ON, and stereo track>>spatial audio OFF?

For me spatial+dolby tracks give more fun and enjoy. I like listen them. But sometimes fee that without is better, maybe more “right”.
What about you , boys?

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #791 of 979
Actually, when EQ'd the WH-1000XM4 is not that bad. Not even close. It's the stock tuning that leaves a lot to be desired. And I have heard much worse than my WH-1000XM4 in spite of my criticism of that headphone.

It’s not horrible. Just not to my taste, at all. There’s definitely much worse out there. And their ANC is really good too. But add to that a bit of squeaking plastic every time you put them on or adjust them... I see no reason for me to “go with the flow”.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #792 of 979
It’s not horrible. Just not to my taste, at all. There’s definitely much worse out there. And their ANC is really good too. But add to that a bit of squeaking plastic every time you put them on or adjust them... I see no reason for me to “go with the flow”.
XM5 is very good though. No squeaky plastic as well, very comfortable, light, top notch ANC, good/acceptable SQ, much better mids and bass than previous model, everything solid.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #793 of 979
XM5 is very good though. No squeaky plastic as well, very comfortable, light, top notch ANC, good/acceptable SQ, much better mids and bass than previous model, everything solid.

Sorry, I’ve auditioned the whole WH series from XM1 to XM4 , but not the XM5. I’ve only tried a couple of the WF. Sony’s “usual sound” is just not to my liking. But I’m glad you like them and that they worked them out better.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #794 of 979
First of all:
1. I was talking about the XM3 post-EQ, which means after EQ to have the sound balanced (besides the treble roll off which is not fixable). Why bring up how it sounds without any EQ?
2. The XM4 and XM3 are different headphones, you can see it in the measurements on Rtings. So anything you say about the XM4, doesn't apply to the XM3.
3. Paid reviewers are not reputable. They are paid shills. They have financial incentives to talk about products in a certain way.
4. The APP2 is better than many full-sized headphones even wired, when it even struggles to beat my $99 XM3 post-EQ? xD The difference to reproduce space and the overall soundstage is quite big.

And the $99 XM3 is the worst full-sized headphone I have.
I also wasn't a fan of the XM3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back