Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Nov 4, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #32 of 979
Do you think those 3 sets of eartips will fit most people? cuz usually I have to compromise between a good seal vs slight discomfort

Yes. Is important remembering too that AirPods pro isn't deep insertion like normal iems so the comfort is very good.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 979
I've recently picked up the AirPods Pro, today was the first day to use them exclusively. I have to say, I'm quite impressed. Not only do they sound quite good, comfort and noise cancelling are very positive surprises. They sit comfortably in my ears, without the discomfort I've always had with the normal AirPods (which I only use for phone calls), seal without problems while not giving me the pressure often experienced with ANC.

Noise cancelling worked very well, it did not try to kill me every time the subway doors went shut (or trying to kill the body noise my steps produce, like the Sony did). It had no problems with wind either, which was quite a feat given the weather here today.

sound quality is surprisingly good, with nice bass, clear mids, slightly emphasized upper mids, but without becoming sibilant, and even some air up top. Slightly less lively than the PowerBeats Pro, with bit less bass and less upper mids, so overall an improvement. Won't compare to the normal AirPods since I never understood how one might listen to music on them...

getting them out of the case is a bit fiddly, and it takes some getting used to that the stems are shorter and on the other side when compared with the old AirPods when putting them back in.

soundwise they won't replace my 64audio N8 customs of course, but the convenience factor is high... and given their much more compact case I think they'll get more usage than the PowerBeats Pro (which was the best sounding Beats-labelled product I've ever tried)

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #34 of 979
I used these airpods pro during a 1 hour run (very high speed which most people can’t do) and they actually did not fell out. Quite impressive since my Sony WF-1000XM3 has fallen out of my ears on the street a couple of time without even running fast.

But I think I like my Powerbeats Pro more for sports as I am still worried that they might drop out of my ears. I will have to do more testing.

I think these are the best TW for me after the Powerbeats Pro.

(what is the point of TW like the Sony WF-1000XM3 when you cannot even use it for sports)

However the call quality of these Airpods Pro is terrible according to my girlfriend. Anyone else has noticed this?

It is not a problem since I have the Bose NC 700 and the original Airpods for making phone calls. But it would be nice if the Airpods Pro was also good for calling.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 979
Used first time for a 5k Parkrun Saturday and stayed in nicely, although due to the light weight and the wind and rain, I was unsure they would. Pretty decent sound, I'm not going to compare with my Sennheisers, Katana and 64 Audio Fourte's, but more than good enough for outside wearing, no standout faults.I

Only problem is I've only been able to get one side tip off, and testing all three sizes in left earpiece shows good fit, so not sure about validity of App. The other side easily slid off at about fourth attempt but not sure what I did differently? Any advice, really yank harder?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #36 of 979
I was interested in these initially but after hearing about shallow insertion and seeing people with them it seems like they sit really on the outside of the ear.

Reminds me of the Bose SoundSport how they just sort of hang out of the ear.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 979
Bought these last Thursday. Very convenient in terms of not having to make sure the eartips seal right, not having the flanges go on wonky before you even insert them (something the Symbio Mandarines do all the time), not having to deal with wre tangle or routing, and a whole bunch of other annoying things to deal with when using wired IEMs. Seal is OK, but I kinda wish there was more. I don't mind a slightly deeper insertion. Having "wings" like Bose might help with stabilization as well. We'll see what sort of third-party eartips will pop up in the coming months. I don't want the solution that the Powerbeats go for, though - the around-the-ear thing. Those tend to hurt after a while. Weight is OK - heavier than my old IEMs, but not egregiously so. Controls are easy to use as well, and yes, I do wish volume up/down was included. One worry I have is that they might slip out of my hand when taking them out of the case or putting them back in. Hasn't happened yet, but chances are high.

Connectivity with Apple mobile devices was dead easy - easier than any other Bluetooth device I've used, and subsequent usage is just a matter of taking the earpiece out and inserting them. That's it. Connectivity with a Macbook had some issues at first, causing me to have to reset the Airpods to get pairing with MacOS to work. After that? Just take the earpiece out, insert into ear, and it'll activate.

Soundwise, they're - as everybody says - "OK." Bass is punchy, but not terribly detailed or extended, mids are pretty strong, warm, not muffled or congested, and generally decent. Treble is ... odd. At times, they almost sound like there's going to be a ton of treble, but that never actually happens. Using the treble booster EQ does help a bit, but at the cost of bass (I assume it's the adaptive EQ at work). One of the tracks, if used on a treble-light/warm pair of headphones will sound very warm and somewhat dull. The Airpod Pros do exhibit some of that. Instruments such as banjos will have their edge taken off slightly. Despite that, every instrument/voice still shows up as "proper." Nothing is so far out of whack that it becomes a completely different sound. ANC, you ask? I have no experience with ANC on other headphones. The Airpod Pros block out a LOT of sound. Loud droning sounds become very very quiet hisses. Voices get silenced. Internal body sounds get muffled. It definitely works.

Overall, in terms of sound, they're not as good as many IEMs that are in the $100 range. They're not even as good as some $50 IEMs I've used. They're definitely good enough, though, and as time goes on, I just want less BS in my life, and not having to deal with wire tangle, weird eartips, eartips sliding off, etc., as well as having a well-made product that will work well with my devices is worth the money.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #39 of 979
Do you think those 3 sets of eartips will fit most people? cuz usually I have to compromise between a good seal vs slight discomfort

Yes, most, but not all.

I normally use the larger size for any make/model I own. I tried all three sizes with the APPro and settled on large again. They feel and sound very good even when worn for several hours straight. Unlike my original AP these stay in place.

The ear tip fit test says none of the tips fit (or they need adjustment). Apple needs a wider range of sizes to accommodate all ears. I could probably use a tip slightly larger than large. The tips are very thin walled so a slight oversize in fit shouldn't compromise comfort.

I prefer foam tips as they cover all the fit issues best but I don't think the typical Apple customers the APPro is aimed at would accept them. Too fidgety and prone to picking up debris. Probably be a poor fit in the battery case as well.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #40 of 979
Used first time for a 5k Parkrun Saturday and stayed in nicely, although due to the light weight and the wind and rain, I was unsure they would. Pretty decent sound, I'm not going to compare with my Sennheisers, Katana and 64 Audio Fourte's, but more than good enough for outside wearing, no standout faults.I

Only problem is I've only been able to get one side tip off, and testing all three sizes in left earpiece shows good fit, so not sure about validity of App. The other side easily slid off at about fourth attempt but not sure what I did differently? Any advice, really yank harder?

A firm steady pull worked on mine. I was worried about tearing the tips but after trying all three sizes they were all still as new.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #41 of 979
A firm steady pull worked on mine. I was worried about tearing the tips but after trying all three sizes they were all still as new.
You got try really hard to tear these tips. These tips has got to be the strongest tips I've encountered.

Is it $4 per a set of a particular size or 3 sets of all sizes? Anybody know?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #42 of 979
You got try really hard to tear these tips. These tips has got to be the strongest tips I've encountered.

Is it $4 per a set of a particular size or 3 sets of all sizes? Anybody know?

Somebody posting this here: They are not currently being sold on the online stores anywhere globally. You have to go via PHYSICAL support in store. Ridiculous. I just spent an HOUR chatting to online support who eventually confirmed that they couldn't even order or ship them, but said they'd be available for a physical Genius bar apmt and cost £4 EACH TIP! Yes, you heard that correctly, each single tip costs £4, not the included set of 6 or even a set of 2, just ONE!

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #43 of 979
Somebody posting this here: They are not currently being sold on the online stores anywhere globally. You have to go via PHYSICAL support in store. Ridiculous. I just spent an HOUR chatting to online support who eventually confirmed that they couldn't even order or ship them, but said they'd be available for a physical Genius bar apmt and cost £4 EACH TIP! Yes, you heard that correctly, each single tip costs £4, not the included set of 6 or even a set of 2, just ONE!

You can get them at the Apple Genius Bar. Yes, at $4 each. Genius all right....

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 979
Got these today. I’m really surprised by the ANC. On my daily commute it did not feel noticeble weaker compared to my Bose NC 700. That is really impressive to me considering how comfortable they are. They are much more comfortable compared to my Shure SE486 using medium sized Comply foam tips. And it’s more comfortable with these instead of over-ear/around-ear headphones.

The ANC does not feature those weakpoints of the Bose NC 700 either. No feedback from hitting the ground hard while running, no noticeable feedback from wind, no sense of pressure/vacuum. They don’t amplify random loud noises such as silverware hitting each other which makes the Bose ANC behave wonky.

Microphone seems decent and transperancy mode makes them feel like the AirPods, like they are open-back which is preferable for voice calls and other scenarios. No A/V delay when watching videos.

Will need more time to judge the audio but first impression is that they feel balanced and suprisingly airy. Don’t come off as V-shaped something I consider a plus.

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #45 of 979
Got these today. I’m really surprised by the ANC. On my daily commute it did not feel noticeble weaker compared to my Bose NC 700. That is really impressive to me considering how comfortable they are. They are much more comfortable compared to my Shure SE486 using medium sized Comply foam tips. And it’s more comfortable with these instead of over-ear/around-ear headphones.

The ANC does not feature those weakpoints of the Bose NC 700 either. No feedback from hitting the ground hard while running, no noticeable feedback from wind, no sense of pressure/vacuum. They don’t amplify random loud noises such as silverware hitting each other which makes the Bose ANC behave wonky.

Microphone seems decent and transperancy mode makes them feel like the AirPods, like they are open-back which is preferable for voice calls and other scenarios. No A/V delay when watching videos.

Will need more time to judge the audio but first impression is that they feel balanced and suprisingly airy. Don’t come off as V-shaped something I consider a plus.

Thank you for the information of comparison of APP and nc700. I trying nc700 in summer and I having problems with artificial leather ear cups that making my ears hot and starting sweating after maybe 30 minutes but the anc in nc700 is very good. The sound of nc700 I having problems with mids when I put volume up, and not very loud even, the mids is little peak that sometimes isn't very nice. I think too the APP sound is more correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back