apple 60g video ipod is kaput
Mar 21, 2006 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Headphoneus Supremus
on cnn it was reported that the days of the 60g ipod are about over...sheesh......how's that for getting your money's worth?

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 40
Well the rumor running around the mac community is that the 60gb iPod Video is going kaput to make way for their new video iPod with the touchscreen clickwheel. Rumor is that it will be a widesceen video iPod with bluetooth headphones.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 40
Yeah, it's a shame for the G5 owners...but I've been waiting patiently for the real video iPod to be announced. In fact, this past weekend picking up a replacement Shuffle to help bridge to the transition. Must stay on target...

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 40
These things are like cell phones. I've never owned one and never will. Just don't understand the desire at all.

I can't grasp how people get excited about and support a technology that seems to one up itself and become obsolete every 60 days? I mean seriously, I don't keep up with it because I don't care to, how many damn versions of the ipod are out there now? Better yet, how many damn versions do we need? This is worse than computers, televisions, dvd players, other electronics, etc. Do we honestly need a 1GB-60GB offered in every single color of the spectrum only to become obsolete to a newer unit with a whole 5GB's more, that's slender(oh so trendy
rolleyes.gif
) with one more option, in a two month time span?

What's even worse are the early adopters of these two technologies.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Do we honestly need a 1GB-60GB offered in every single color of the spectrum only to become obsolete to a newer unit with a whole 5GB's more, that's slender(oh so trendy
rolleyes.gif

Nope, I certainly don't. Still jamming to my 3G 20gig unit which works just fine as a portable music server. Don't need color, don't need video, don't need a clickwheel
biggrin.gif
. I view early adoption as a plus is this regard!

Nate

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
These things are like cell phones. I've never owned one and never will. Just don't understand the desire at all.

I can't grasp how people get excited about and support a technology that seems to one up itself and become obsolete every 60 days? I mean seriously, I don't keep up with it because I don't care to, how many damn versions of the ipod are out there now? Better yet, how many damn versions do we need? This is worse than computers, televisions, dvd players, other electronics, etc. Do we honestly need a 1GB-60GB offered in every single color of the spectrum only to become obsolete to a newer unit with a whole 5GB's more, that's slender(oh so trendy
rolleyes.gif

What's even worse are the early adopters of these two technologies.

I fail to see how the fact that a manufacturer offers incremental improvements in technology proves that the technology itself is unworthy.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 40
Let's face it, Apple is only able to pull this off because the market is there.

I was happy with my 3G 40 gb until the battery sucked, and I needed another ipod to put more music on. Last June I picked up the then "new" 4G 60 gb color. It has served me well (mostly I like the improved battery life). In the interim, I paid $75 to Apple, and got a refurbished 3G replacement, so now the battery life is decent.

My take on ipods is similar to my take on computers/cell phones/any current technology: buy something you like, use it for a couple of years, then upgrade. You know the product is already out-moded to a certain extent the day you purchase it.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I fail to see how the fact that a manufacturer offers incremental improvements in technology proves that the technology itself is unworthy.

Agreed. In this day and age, it's almost impossible to live without cell phones, and I don't really understand how the mere fact that cell phones get better and better as time goes on, is a reason not to get one. Sure, I believe it's a natural human desire to want something that's newer and better, but you have to learn how to be happy with what you got. They're getting better and better to increase the efficiency in which we can live. Now with all our planners, address books, and whatever else we need being in our cell phones, I'd say they're increasingly the betterment of society and life.

I've had my 3G 10gb iPod for years and I love the thing to death. Sure, it doesn't have color, or video, and doesn't allow me to fit half of my complete collection onto the thing, but it serves me quite well. If you really were an music lover, it wouldn't be so hard to snatch one up, even if there's an impending upgrade in the works. Music is something I love to have with me everywhere, can't live without it.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 40
i'm in the groove with my 5G right now, no need to upgrade until the best buy warranty is JUST about over.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 40
Same here...i'm in love with my 5g ipod. I don't think i'll get the new one for 2 reasons.

1. I listen to mostly music. Although video is nice, how much charge can the batt hold?

2. I prefer purchasing a product that has evolved ( 5g ). I'm always wary of new products because you never know what bugs there are. A new touchscreen clickwheel would be really cool but i'd wait a few generations.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
It's just not right. Life isn't fair.

I really think you have some sort of problem, considering you write this and other variations in almost every post on this forum. Why you seem to look down on us and our meager arguments/issues, I dunno. Please, just ignore the threads instead of crapping them.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 40
I feel like the current 5G line is the sweet spot of the iPod's history, if they're going to move into a "full screen" model. I've got absolutely no need of a PMP... I had a PSP and (not taking into account the file size restrictions and UMD prices) I simply never used it for movie watching. I really don't need anything larger than the current iPod's screen if I suddenly feel like an episode of an old show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back