Apogee Minidac for PC
Oct 8, 2005 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

5Kurt

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys! ,

ı am thinking of loading all of my CD's in Flac/Ape format in my PC , and use Apogee Minidac to link to my tube amp.

Does anybody have any experience (negative or positive) , if it is a good idea.

Also from PC to DAC which connection is the healthiest. (usb , spdif etc.)

In this price range (Apogee MiniDAC) , are there any more DAC's worthwhile looking at ?

Thanks in advance

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 4
It costs more, but the Wavelength Audio Brick USB DAC is a high end USB-connected DAC without digital filters or upsampling. It's received great reviews in "Stereophile" and the Webzine "Enjoy the Music." Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio claims that his proprietary USB controller design works with the asynchronous USB bus connection to virtually eliminate jitter and insure bit-perfect transfers to the Phillips DAC processor in the Brick. I would be interested if anyone has had an opportunity to compare the Wavelength Brick and Apogee Mini-DAC.

Apparently, Perreaux has also come out with a USB DAC. I have emailed Christopher Own of Ack! Industries and he said that he is working on a USB option for the acclaimed Ack! Dack! 2.0. None of the DACs mentioned here have a headphone output like the Apogee Mini-DAC, so that could be a "minus" on them.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd say you won't find anything in the apogee's price range that will compete with it's usb option. They wrote custom drivers so that you can take 96/24 out via usb. Most others are limited to 48/24 or 48/16...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back