Apogee Mini-DAC & Headphone Amplifier
Apr 17, 2003 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Blighty

100+ Head-Fier
Mini-DAC-lg.jpg

Inputs:

o 2 x AES-EBU on 9 pin D-Type (breakout cable to two female XLR-3 required) handling sample rates: 44.1k-192k single-wide and 88.2
k-192k double-wide.
o S/PDIF optical on TOS-LINK 44.1/48k
o S/PDIF coaxial on RCA 44/1-192k
o ADAT 44/1-48k
o ADAT/SMUX II for 88/2/96k
o ADAT/SMUX IV for 176.4/192k
o USB at 44.1/48k

Outputs:

o 2 x XLR (pin 2 - hot) for pro-audio stereo
o 1/8" jack for consumer-level stereo (standard 1/8" to RCA cable
required) also able to drive headphone's
o 1/4" jack headphone
o USB

Specs:

o Output level xlr's: 24dBu max (internally or externally adjustable)
ultra low impedance, high current drive balanced outputs.
o Output 1/8": +10dBV max (fixed or externally adjustable)
o Headphone out: 300mW into 30 ohm
o Sample rates: 44.1/48-88.2/96-176/192 . All +/- 10%
o Max word length: 24bit
o Frequency response: 10-20k +/- 0.2 dB at 44.1kHz)
o THD+N: -107 dB
o Dynamic range: 119 dB weighted
o Inter channel crosstalk: -125 dB
o Power consumption: 5W max.
o Power source: 6-14 V DC. International (90-240V) power adapter included

Runs about $849USD.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/prod_minidac.html

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 14
That's actually lower than I expected. Apogee tends to have pretty expensive (>US$1000) stuff. At that price it will compete well in the pro market at least.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 14
It's a professional device, I saw a post about it on Headwize a while ago if memory serves me well. It looks like it has just about any connection you may ever need - short of IEEE1394 for DVD-A and SACD. I'm a bit skeptical on some of the specs, 125dB channel separation and 119dB dynamic range is what DAC chips claim and often manufacturers just claim that the whole device has the same numbers - but this is rather hard to achieve in practice at the output of the DAC. In relative terms I don't think the price is out of line though I agree I'm not likely to ever buy one either, even though I'd really like to open that case and see what's inside...

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm right there with you aos. And I'd like to know how they do 24/192 on one SPDIF line. I didn't think SPDIF supported rates that high -- usually two AES/EBUs are used (I see the provision for that).
It looks awesome, though. Anybody used one yet around here?

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Actually, there are S/PDIF transmitter/receiver sets that go up to 24-bit, 192 kHz now. All the big players in audio ICs make them now.

The Apogee looks tempting, but 5 Watts power consumption is not battery-friendly. You have to stick with one of aos' units or one of ours when they come out.

Stu

Apr 18, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Stu is right, there are receivers now that can handle 192kHz though I don't think they're that common yet - only manufacturers I know of are
AKM, Cirrus and Burr-Brown, and I am only aware that AKM has 192kHz models. But I also haven't seen an official word that SPDIF - which as daniel422 said supported only up to 96kHz - has been updated to handle 192kHz. And even if that were the case, which source outputs 192kHz on its coax or optical digital out? I don't doubt they can handle it but the feature has no practical use.

This DAC looks portable as in that you can carry it around. It's still too large and power hungry to be used away from an AC socket. But I believe its intended use is for professionals who need to carry it around to do their work. Or serving as a versatile DAC sitting on your home entertaintment system shelf.

Apr 18, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and....

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [Pause.] These go to eleven.

The guys at Apogee must be fans of This is Spinal Tap.

I'm interested in how this DAC/Head-amp sounds. Can't wait for the first Head-Fier review.

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 14
I think this slowly brings higend sound from computer to audiophiles. I really wonder what is a good of cd player in future. If u took your cds and turn them to aiff or wav files and then playback them from hard disk what is to loose.

And with 192 support this will rivale any cd/sacd/dvd for the price on the marke. Not to mentioned that u can listen to any digital format out of computer.

Talking flexibility and future i think this is quite amazing product.

I really wonder how good is headphone amp on this. Somhow i think grace 901 got strong if not better biased runner.

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
Actually, there are S/PDIF transmitter/receiver sets that go up to 24-bit, 192 kHz now. All the big players in audio ICs make them now.

The Apogee looks tempting, but 5 Watts power consumption is not battery-friendly. You have to stick with one of aos' units or one of ours when they come out.

Stu

Actually, it's got a jack for an external power supply. Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewB
It must be a really , really good amp...It goes to 11
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back