Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Aug 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #151 of 361
  I just got my Groove and I have to say the sound is great! One question though - I'm running this on Windows 10 using the latest 3.0 drivers from Apogee's website. I installed the drivers and plugged in my Groove and that was it. Everything was left at default. Is this all I need for it to be capable to play back 24-bit/192kHz files or do I need to fiddle with something in the settings? I was hoping the LED would light a different color when playing hi-res files so I know it's working but it's still lighting green.

That reminds me - I need to try out some DACs since my laptop "upgraded" itself to Windows10. Previously, I would recommend any user under Windows 7 use Foobar2000. It's a great interface to be sure you're spitting out the bits cleanly, and it gives you more details on exactly what audio you're feeding into your DAC. But I will need to go home and try this myself!

I'll let you know!

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #152 of 361

That reminds me - I need to try out some DACs since my laptop "upgraded" itself to Windows10. Previously, I would recommend any user under Windows 7 use Foobar2000. It's a great interface to be sure you're spitting out the bits cleanly, and it gives you more details on exactly what audio you're feeding into your DAC. But I will need to go home and try this myself!

I'll let you know!

Windows 10 is great! As far as I know the audio subsystem is just as good as the one in Windows 8.1. Here's an article you might find interesting:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #153 of 361

Windows 10 is great! As far as I know the audio subsystem is just as good as the one in Windows 8.1.

Glad to hear! I'm by default a Mac person, but I do on occasion test my stuff on Windows. Now I need to try out the Apogee drivers, make sure Foobar2000 still runs, etc. etc.
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #154 of 361
Just got an Apogee Groove.  

It works with my Samsung Note 4 (T-Mobile with Android 4.4.4) without a battery + usb cable splitter adapter.  

The Groove's built in amp is pretty terrible, at least with IEM's like my JH Audio Layla.  The sound is heavily veiled, almost muffled sounding, with the soundstage and imaging really smeared.  It's basically like putting cotton balls in your ears.  Using the headphone out from the Groove to my Pico Power greatly improves the sound.   So perhaps the Groove does not play nice with multi balanced armatures like in custom IEM's.  

I also dislike that Windows drivers are not available without registering.  I question the legality of such a maneuver, as it limits the functionality of their product; and (at least in California) registering a product is not required for full warranty coverage claims.  Not having a driver for a product is basically not delivering a complete product as advertised.  
I don't see the point of them limiting the release of Windows drivers, other than to limit 2nd hand sales of their Groove.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #155 of 361

Windows 10 is great! As far as I know the audio subsystem is just as good as the one in Windows 8.1. Here's an article you might find interesting:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html

article states: "I am unable to find evidence to say that OS changes will make any difference to analogue audio output from a modern asynchronous USB DAC"
that means to me that I stick to Windows 7 :)

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #156 of 361

article states: "I am unable to find evidence to say that OS changes will make any difference to analogue audio output from a modern asynchronous USB DAC"
that means to me that I stick to Windows 7 :)

Personally I would recommend staying at your current OS, not specifically due to any reported issues with the Apogee but:

• Due to personal issues related to my own Windows 10 upgraded system. The OS seems to be a work in progress, and is getting better by the day as patches are added. But if it is your main system (I use a Mac as my main system), you might want to keep it stable for the moment.
  • Due to issues I have read reported by other DAC users and their drivers being incompatible or at least very difficult to install correctly in the Windows 10 environment.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #157 of 361
Picked a Groove up today for my mobile edit rig.. So far so good. Form factor is great, but the buttons are actually quite stiff..like you need to hold the unit in your hand when pressing the buttons or you shake the table it's sitting on. Maybe they'll loosen up with time, but because (at least on a mac) the Apogee driver slaves the system volume to the groove volume setting, I can use the normal volume up/down on my keyboard instead of the buttons on the Groove, which is fine by me. That will also allow me to put electrical tape over the LEDs so I don't have to look at them (personal preference). I haven't done any critical listening to it yet versus my Centrance DACMini, but so far I've listened for about 1 hour on my Audeze LCD-2r2s and there is plenty of drive power in the Groove. When editing quiet dialogue (my 'day job') I wish it had more power, but that's what the DACMini is for, and I cut on higher sensitivity cans when I'm on the mix stage (which is what I bought the Groove for anyway). Ran a Pro Tools session at 192Khz/32-bit with no issues at all, though I bet the last 8 bits are getting truncated at the converter, but at what... -130dbfs? I'll never hear it.

So all in all it's doing exactly what I want/need it too, and it sounds pretty good to my ears right out of the gate. Lots of bass on the LCD-2s, maybe a bit more 'bloom' and less controlled than the DACmini, but I'll need more time to tell for sure. Mids seems more forward on the Groove too, and the top end a bit more grainy, less 'smooth', or perhaps 'more resolution?' again hard to tell on a quick listen. :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #158 of 361
Thanks to Apogee I got a loaner groove unit today. It honestly surpassed all my expectations. It honestly everything sound much better. Not like a subtle difference but a large difference.

Thanks again to  @HiFiGuy528 for recommending this. I have a feeling I might be picking up a unit of my own at the end of the loaner period :wink: 

Makes the Sony Z5 bass sound so tight and controlled. Makes the VE Zen earbud sound like open backs and the VE Duke a DETAIL and CLARITY monster, so damn engaging!

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #160 of 361
4 out of 5 only in WHF, which is my highest rated magazine, concerning reviews. Tough luck.

Women's Health and Fitness
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I do not know what magazine you are referring to.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #165 of 361
  I've owned this dac/amp for about 2 months now. Loved it since the day I took it out of the box.

I noticed your post in the LH Labs Geek Out thread.

Here's the thing for me. I understand that when talking about a DAC sound, it all comes down to implementation. That is an ESS can sound identical to a PCM or TI chip. Even a well-implmented D-S can be indistinguishable from a good R2R. I get that, but I also have three implementations of a Sabre DAC, including the Geek Out V2. And I am immediately enamored with the detail and spaciousness of the Sabre sound.

Then my ears grow tired of the Sabre sound about 3 days later (in 2 of the 3 implementations). So I have to conclude, it must have something to do with the chipset. In the case of the Geek Out V2 versus the Apogee Groove, I switched back to the Groove and liked what I heard. While it wasn't as detailed, it was more easy to listen to, particularly at a higher volume. In fact I switched to a couple of other USB AMP/DAC that I have collected. And none of them had the sound that tired my ears with the Sabre.

I hope this is somewhere along the line of what you are asking? I don't personally see the Geek Out V2 as a 100% upgrade to the Groove. It has more detail and an amplifier that mates well with a wider variety of headphones. But it has a sound that my ears find fatiguing after a few days. As always, your mileage may vary greatly! There are many, many fans of the Sabre sound. And even admittedly, one of my three implementations sounds simply fantastic with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back