Apogee Duet settings and Audio MIDI Setup
Mar 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #31 of 73
Yes, of course sorry, the setting is technically the "Instrument Amp". I simply preferred that option using the headphone amplifier although any real sonic differences are probably imagined.

You are right. The Maestro software has a mind of its own and opens anytime the Duet is connected. I haven't been able to overcome that using the preference settings so I've given in to simply closing it out.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #32 of 73
Have you tried going to Maestro > Preferences > Additional Preferences, and deselecting the "Launch Maestro automatically when connecting a device" option?

I am guessing that you're using a laptop with your Duet, so your experience will likely be different than mine. I plugged my Duet in the day I got it, and haven't ever unplugged it since then. But at least Maestro does not launch when I power on my computer with the preferences set properly.

One additional thing to keep in mind is that, even though Apogee's information doesn't mention this (as far as I know), hot plugging the Duet should absolutely be avoided. To be safe, I would always recommend powering off the computer when connecting or disconnecting the Duet.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. The Maestro software has a mind of its own and opens anytime the Duet is connected. I haven't been able to overcome that using the preference settings so I've given in to simply closing it out.

Just click 'preferences', then under 'addition preferences' at the bottom, uncheck the "launch Maestro automatically when connecting a device" box.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #34 of 73
Your point about "hot sinking" the Duet is well advised.

On the preference settings, you are also correct; I'm using a Macbook and have followed the preference settings, but it still seems to automatically launch.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #35 of 73
oh that's interesting. What version of Maestro are you using? Mine doesnt have the bug. I downloaded the software from the Apogee website, rather than using the bundled CD.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #36 of 73
I'm using version 1.6.23.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh that's interesting. What version of Maestro are you using? Mine doesnt have the bug. I downloaded the software from the Apogee website, rather than using the bundled CD.

And that's interesting, too. My Duet didn't even include a software CD, though it is clearly referenced in the owner literature. Just as well, though, as I would have gone straight to the web site for the download anyway.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 73
I had the same experience. My Duet did not include a software CD. I've downloaded the software from the Apogee Digital site. I will confess that I'm not sure if it has been updated. I've been using the Duet for about 2 months.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

I'm using version 1.6.23.

That's the current version. If you have the preferences set as I mentioned previously, and you restart your computer with the Duet plugged in, Maestro should not launch. If it does, I would suggest downloading and running the Duet uninstaller from Apogee's web site (down at the moment for some reason), and then installing the software again.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #40 of 73
Let me try that. Thank you sir.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Thank you sir.

Oh, come on, I'm not that old
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One additional thing to keep in mind is that, even though Apogee's information doesn't mention this (as far as I know), hot plugging the Duet should absolutely be avoided. To be safe, I would always recommend powering off the computer when connecting or disconnecting the Duet.

I'm curious why you advise not to hot plug the Duet. I've been doing so on a daily basis since I bought it, though never when the headphones are connected.

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Duet didn't even include a software CD, though it is clearly referenced in the owner literature. Just as well, though, as I would have gone straight to the web site for the download anyway.

Apogee stopped including the software CD with Duet after the launch of Leopard last year because of incompatibility issues (which have since been resolved).

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious why you advise not to hot plug the Duet. I've been doing so on a daily basis since I bought it, though never when the headphones are connected.

Hot swapping any FireWire audio interface is a risky proposition. M-Audio has sure faced problems with this, and many users have fried their FireWire devices and even their computers as a result. Unless Apogee officially declares the Duet to be hot swappable, I won't do it.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

the setting is technically the "Instrument Amp". I simply preferred that option using the headphone amplifier although any real sonic differences are probably imagined.

For connecting to a headphone amp, I do believe that selecting "Line out" will give better results. The nominal output in this case is -10 dBV, whereas with the "Instrument Amp" selection, it's -20 dBV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back