Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Jul 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #256 of 552
Wow, OK.

I've been reading newer reviews by HeadFiers of the 750s and it seems they are indeed power hungry, and also harsh in the highs.

perhaps I was just experiencing the signature of the 750s through the Duet.
rolleyes.gif

I wonder... should I get a headphone amp, a different set of closed cans that'd be great for classical (neutral presentation) and easy on the wallet (used is fine). Any suggestions? Also, something that could potentially be driven by the Duet w/o external amplification.

Hmmm....

Thank U!!

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #257 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by flitflint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, OK.

I've been reading newer reviews of HeadFiers of the 750s and it seems they are indeed power hungry, and also harsh in the highs.

perhaps I was just experiencing the signature of the 750s through the Duet.
rolleyes.gif

I wonder... should I get a headphone amp, a different set of closed cans that'd be great for classical (neutral presentation) and easy on the wallet (used is fine). Any suggestions? Also, something that could potentially be driven by the Duet w/o external amplification.

Hmmm....

Thank U!!

in short the headphone amp in the duet is not bad and is good as a stop gap while you find an amp but it is not a final destination for someone looking for top quality sound. In the end you are asking too much out of the fire wire power section for many headphones. I recommend the duet as a dac not as a dac/amp combo. If you are going dac amp combo go pico.

I am not an ultrasoniista to say the least, I did try though.
wink.gif

The ultrasones I did hear 750/2500 suffered from a weird tonal signature in the upper mids to low highs that I could not live with.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #264 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who has heard the best of the portable amps, how would you say the Duet compares to the Predator or Pico?

It kills them.

Well, "kills" is a strong word, it only crushes them.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #266 of 552
even if you never use the headphone jack the duet is a screaming deal. Even if you buy a mac mini to turn it into a full fledged dac, and use the mini for nothing else.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #268 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
duet seems to be the best driver for my sen595(that i own). would it have enough juice for K701s? im thinking about getting these.

Yes, it certainly drives my 701's, although I prefer my tube/hybrid with the 701's to be honest. But, the duet certainly has the power.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #270 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My question is the XLR mic input in duet is 3 pin or 4 pin?

3 pin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back