Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Apr 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #166 of 552
Hi,

I just picked up one of these and am looking forward to giving it a listen. Managed to find one new for 395.00 in Canada, which may be the first time ever in my Headfi journey that I got a reasonable deal in my home country...
rolleyes.gif

Can anyone comment on whether/how well the Duet's built-in amp can drive lower-impedance headphones (RS1/DX000)?

thanks and best,

o

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #168 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky for you, cheapest I could find in the UK was £295s which is near double that. And I'm still waiting for delivery.

If you think that's bad, they're €499 plus €20 shipping (~$815) here
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #170 of 552
If I remember correctly, Al Gore invented the Internet here while on a trip many years ago. Let's call it a Finnish-American invention
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #171 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly, Al Gore invented the Internet here while on a trip many years ago. Let's call it a Finnish-American invention
smily_headphones1.gif

Good recall of American current events Jaska! Yes, Al Gore invented the internet while on a diplomatic trip to Finland. Subsequently, George W. Bush paid Microsoft $100 billion to take it off of our hands while on a golf outting in the United Arab Emirates.

Tim

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #172 of 552
My first complaint about the duet, and it's more a complaint about my choice of external drive cases I think.

When I use the duet plugged into the drive chain (2 acomdata mini pal firewire drives), and time machine kicks off a backup, from that point on, I get awful digital noise on the duet. So what I've had to do is leave the backup drive off, and then when I'm ready to do a backup I stop itunes, turn on the backup drive, and then when the backup finishes, reboot and go back to itunes.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #177 of 552
Mine arrived yesterday and after a bit of fiddling I'm all set up with an iBook, Duet and DX1000 phones. Very clean, detailed sound direct from the Duet with terrific reproduction of spactial cues and a sweet top end. I'm not sure that the Victors are the ideal partner for the Duet but I plan on using it primarily as a DAC and luggable amp. I think it's an excellent product for Mac users and look forward to using it DAC-only once my amp returns. I'm very pleased with it.

best,

o

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #178 of 552
My this thing is pretty.

Initial notes listening through HD600s and GS Green Solo
1) Bass seems tighter and much more musical, drum and bass seems to have a greater dynamic range
2) Soundstage much wider
3) Detail like vocal vibrato noticable for music like the Decemberists
4) Output is quite hot
5) THE APPLE REMOTE CONTROLS THE VOLUME
biggrin.gif

6) The breakout cable is fine, on a lesser bit of kit no fuss would be made, but it stands out as the least pretty bit of the whole thing, otherwise it's a very sleek unit
7) It ways roughly the same as a canned drink
8) This set up sounds pretty good, in fact it's probably the best HP setup I've heard

Pretty happy so far. I'm going to post a review in comparison to a meridian dac where we'll blind test the DACs.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #179 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty happy so far. I'm going to post a review in comparison to a meridian dac where we'll blind test the DACs.

I'm looking forward to that.

It struck me again today listening straight out of the Duet today how neutral it is and revealing of recording quality. (Perhaps not surprising given its intended purpose.) You certainly can do better with the help of an external amp, but it's also a perfectly feasible one-box setup.

I've been playing around with some more-elegant solutions for breakout cables. I'll post the results when they eventuate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back