Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #61 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartfell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was this in order to output your duet to your head amp?

correct because of who the duet was made for, musicians, it is set up to output to powered monitors but it is a non issue with either a custom cable or the adaptors or with a custom breakout with rcas rather than the 1/4 female.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #62 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
correct because of who the duet was made for, musicians, it is set up to output to powered monitors but it is a non issue with either a custom cable or the adaptors or with a custom breakout with rcas rather than the 1/4 female.

I have a RSA SR-71 portable headamp which takes a 1/8" input. Right now I have a Grover UR6 cable, which is RCA, and a Radioshack RCA to 1/8 adapter so that one end will plug into my amp. Is this cable all I need combined with the Duet adapters provided to go from the Duet to my headamp? I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #63 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a RSA SR-71 portable headamp which takes a 1/8" input. Right now I have a Grover UR6 cable, which is RCA, and a Radioshack RCA to 1/8 adapter so that one end will plug into my amp. Is this cable all I need combined with the Duet adapters provided to go from the Duet to my headamp? I'm thinking of getting one of these.

The 1/4" to rca adapters are what you'd need for the duet end, or have a cable made that goes from db25 and terminates in a mini connector.

You'll definitely want to compare the headphone out on the duet to the sr71,tho. You may find you're happy without the headphone amp in the chain.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #64 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/4" to rca adapters are what you'd need for the duet end, or have a cable made that goes from db25 and terminates in a mini connector.

You'll definitely want to compare the headphone out on the duet to the sr71,tho. You may find you're happy without the headphone amp in the chain.

Sounds like a LOT of adapters and cables. Would it require two 1/4" male to RCA adapters? From the looks of the photo of the Duet cables that looks likely. After which I then have to add yet another adapter to the RCAs to convert to a mini 1/8" if I want to output to my SR-71. Wow. Maybe a Pico would be the easier solution.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #65 of 552
You don't have to connect anything to the duet if you're listening with headphones. I'd be surprised if you liked the headphone jack on the sr71 better than the one on the duet.

That said, you don't need any adapters, you can get a cable made that goes from the breakout port on the duet to the 1/8" in on the sr71. Or get 2x1/4" mono to 1x1/8" stereo cable (I believe they sell these at radio shack). Etc. Adapters are a quick solution, not the final solution.

But a pico is a great solution too. If you don't need the analog ins, it may even be the preferable solution.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #68 of 552
Hi,

I got both the Duet and the Pico each about a week or so into their being shipped. I got a chance to get familiar with them. The two DAC sections are pretty different. The Apogee is more transparent and to my ears is ahead of the Pico. For whatever reputation and history is worth, Apogee has been advancing their conversion technology for a long time now to be something of an industry standard.

The Duet's amp section on the headphone out is a slightly different story. It is truly excellent and a significant step up from the "Mini" line which I also owned. However, I think most people here will prefer an offering by RSA, Xin, Meier, etc. It is not glamorous, it is neutral to the point of being a little tasteless. You understand it's designed to be. The headphone out is designed for recording musicians to hear their mix accurately. You want to give them water not wine. If you flatter them with it, when it goes to print and is played elsewhere they won't be happy as they get sober. Headamp designers go for accuracy at the bench, to be sure, but they strive for euphony. They want it to sound true, but it's more important that it sound good. That's what makes them and you happy.

To get the best of both you really have to go line out of the Duet into your amp of choice. The suggestions for 2X1/4" into 1X1/8" work just fine if you are stationary. If this is going to be a transportable as it is for me, the breakout cable is a lot of extra bulk. If you are not a musician, this is great! All of those connections would have been inside making the Duet twice the size. This way, if you don't need them, cut them off and cover the ends. If you can work a soldering iron, re-terminating the lineouts into a single 1/8" plug is a snap and you're all set. (If you are both musician and headamp enthusiast, Apogee sells replacement breakouts for 24.95.) If you want to be completely audiophile about it, contact Apogee tech support and they can send you the pin out schematic as you talk.

Hope this helps.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #69 of 552
I finally received my Duet today after a lengthy wait, and after a few hours of listening to it with my HD580, all I can say is that I'm very pleased with it so far. My expectations regarding the headphone amp were very low, but thus far it's been a nice surprise.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #70 of 552
Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but could you recommend where I could get this custom cable made? I thought the output from the Duet was proprietary?

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #71 of 552
Any competent cable builder could do it. I'd contact grand enigma 1 on here for example. It's not proprietary. I've emailed them asking for the pinout, but it'd only take a minute to get it with a DMM, too.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #72 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my ignorance, but could you recommend where I could get this custom cable made? I thought the output from the Duet was proprietary?

If you keep the Duet somewhat close to your amp, you really don't even need cables as I've just discovered. The breakout cable is long enough that you could conceivably just use a couple of 1/4" male TS-to-male RCA (or whatever you need for your amp) adapters. I imagine that such adapters exist, although I haven't looked for them. Otherwise, you can certainly have Blue Jeans Cable make you whatever you might need. That's what I did.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #73 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most people here will prefer an offering by RSA, Xin, Meier, etc. It is not glamorous, it is neutral to the point of being a little tasteless. You understand it's designed to be. The headphone out is designed for recording musicians to hear their mix accurately.

Very useful comments. Thank you. They concern me, however. Just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Duet now I'm wondering if I would be better off with a Pico. I was swaying toward the Duet because of the apparently superior DAC and sound quality, the good looks (call me shallow) and the ability to use my MacBook and Duet at home to power proper speakers (am I correct about that?). Most important though is the BEST sound when I plug in my Grado Rs-1s.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #74 of 552
The duet doesn't power speakers. it has line level outputs. It will feed powered speakers, like monitors, which is the intended market.

I'd tend to think the pico will sound best with the RS1s tho. I haven't heard RS1s with either tho. Just HD600s, HD580s, HHF1s, and iM616s.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #75 of 552
Quote:

This is good advice. Before my Duet arrived, I didn't take this comment too seriously (I interpreted this as more of a strong dislike for the SR-71 in particular). However, I really would suggest that anyone buying the Duet give the built-in headphone amplifier a fair chance before investing in special cables or adapters and amplifiers--especially if these aren't already owned--as I'm finding that the Duet performs very well as a stand-alone piece. I think one would really have to have a strong bias for the sound signature of a particular headphone amplifier in order to realize much of real difference in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back