Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #482 of 552
It is not without a doubt their best and the short time I heard it just didn't get me interested. The GS1000 is the hit/miss in their lineup, really just personal taste if you like it or not.
For $800 (in Europe, where new it's like €1200!) you can try it and probably sell it for about the same price. If it is in good shape.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #483 of 552
While I think the GS1000 with matching components will best the HF2 with the majority of music (if my listens at CJ hold true - waiting on my HF2 too), out of the Duet I'd strongly recommend the HF2 instead. The GS1K can sound really bad without equipment to correct some of its issues (midrange suck-out most obviously).

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #484 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr0ferr1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see you guys, pushing me to drop my order...
tongue_smile.gif

...do you want my #349 HF-2 right?
atsmile.gif

anyway, since you are so nice to help me...I have now someone in Europe selling a GS1000 (1 old year old) for about 800$ shipping and taxes included;

So now what can you suggest? Waiting for the HF-2 (I really can wait it is not a problem for me) or go for a wonderful GS1000???

But I do not really want to use an amp with my Duet. I will use the GS1k from the duet directly...

What I have to do?? Mamma mia!!!

HF2 is better than GS-1000 or SR-325i to my ears, but you could have my RS-1 with APS v3 cable shipped right away if you don't want to wait for the HF2 (my son says he can wait).

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #485 of 552
Ok guys and thanks for all kind suggestions. Finally, I made up my mind. Since I am very happy with my ATH-A900, I will just use it waiting for the arrival of the grado HF2 whetever it takes.

Larry's offer anyway made me think a little bit: also thinking to his 6 foot APS V3 cable I realised than at home I have a distance of about 4 meters (12 feet) between mac mini > duet and my sofa.

I know that you guys do not like extension cables but do you know the length of the HF2 cable and if I need an extension to reach 12 foot distance. Will I make a "disaster" in the quality of the sound?

Ciao to all.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #486 of 552
Grado says you can use up to three of their 25ft extensions without sonic degradation. Use that guide for what it's worth. You'll need an extension at that length.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #487 of 552
Quote:

Ok guys and thanks for all kind suggestions. Finally, I made up my mind. Since I am very happy with my ATH-A900, I will just use it waiting for the arrival of the grado HF2 whetever it takes.

Larry offer anyway made me think a little bit: also thinking to his 6 foot APS V3 cable I realised than at home I have a distance of about 4 meters (12 feet) between mac mini > duet and my sofa.

I know that you guys do not like extension cables but do you know the length of the HF2 cable and if I need an extension to reach 12 foot distance. Will I make a "disaster" in the quality of the sound?

Ciao to all.

Stock cable is about 6 feet. I bought a 15 foot eBay cable that does not degrade the sound, for about $40. So, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent extension.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #488 of 552
Hi folks, the wait for my HF-2 has been driving me nuts, and since I wanted to explore more of head-fi other than the HF-2 thread in the HP section, I stumbled upon the apogee duet. Im a 17" MBP user for 3 years now, so Im surprised I didnt encounter this amazing product earlier.

Problem is, I cant outright afford an apogee duet now. I'd have to sell some of my current stuff. My current setup is MBP to EMU0404 usb to Millet Hybrid Max. Will the Duet be a NOTICEABLE upgrade from this setup? OR will it be more of a lateral move?

I COULD sell the 0404 alone and retain my Millett, especially since Ive read that the HP-out of the Duet is not ideal for all types of cans. I currently own an HD650, a dt880 '05, and the (long) coming HF-2.

So will a duet alone (or connected to my Millett) be a good upgrade from my current EMU 0404 usb to Millet setup? I hope some who have heard both can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #489 of 552
If you are planning on using your new HF-2 and not any other phones, then I would recommend getting the Duet. As has been mentioned, the Duet has great synergy with Grado's. The Duet/Grado combo may be good enough to top your current setup. However, if you are planning on keeping your other headphones, then try and keep your Millet as it may be better as a headphone out with the other phones.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #490 of 552
Hello guys,

it's summer time!

Well, as you may know in Europe we have a lot of holidays!
biggrin.gif

For me, the problem is that I have to leave at home my mac mini.

As laptop I "only" have a pc, so NO DUET for me during vacations
frown.gif

So, I was wondering if you have some ideas for a Summer time headphone amp DAC (with USB), fresh and young like the Duet but that would cost .... a bit less.

I have read nice coments of Dac such as Pico USB amp but it is a bit costly for a second amp...

If you have also some proposal for second hand please let me know...

Ciao

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #491 of 552
Quote:

Hello guys,

it's summer time!

Well, as you may know in Europe we have a lot of holidays!
biggrin.gif

For me, the problem is that I have to leave at home my mac mini.

As laptop I "only" have a pc, so NO DUET for me during vacations
frown.gif

So, I was wondering if you have some ideas for a Summer time headphone amp DAC (with USB), fresh and young like the Duet but that would cost .... a bit less.

I have read nice coments of Dac such as Pico USB amp but it is a bit costly for a second amp...

If you have also some proposal for second hand please let me know...

Ciao

On a budget eh? How about this one for $189? REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

It wont run on battery, but is very small and easy to take with you.

The iBasso D10 for $275 is another recommendation, for a little more money with a little less power for 300 ohm headphones. UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #492 of 552
Thanks a lot for the tip. Eh yes, my third child is coming soon!

I really prefer the ibasso for my A900 and HF-2.

Do you mind to sell me yours, ...just in case?
wink_face.gif

Thanks again

Paolo

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #493 of 552
Why wont they make this pc compatible.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #495 of 552
Hello Larry, finally I decided for the iBasso D10. Where should I buy it now.

Via iBasso from Hong Kong? Really nobody wants to sell it to me from Europe (second hand is ok)?

Thanks a lot,

Paolo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back