Apex Pinnacle vs Leben CS300XS: The Awful Truth
Feb 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 114
the pinnacle may be $10k, but the peak/volcano combo is about 25% of the cost with possibly closer to 90% of the performance. (estimates per other h-fers who have done the comparos. of course, ymmv!)

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #48 of 114
Well written.  Yes...your writing just flows and is very easy on the eyes. 

I'm glad there are amps out there competing with and perhaps "beating" the Leben.  The Leben is still quite a stunner to look at and I love integrated aspect since I use my Leben equally for headphones and efficient speakers. 

Thanks again.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #49 of 114

Quote:
 I'm glad there are amps out there competing with and perhaps "beating" the Leben. 

Nevermind my comment above.  I didn't realize the Apex was a $10K piece of audio.  Wowza.  Leben FTW. 

Still a great write-up. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #54 of 114
Great write-up. Thanks. 
k701smile.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #56 of 114

Quote:
the pinnacle may be $10k, but the peak/volcano combo is about 25% of the cost with possibly closer to 90% of the performance. (estimates per other h-fers who have done the comparos. of course, ymmv!)

True.  And the other Millett amps are well regarded too.  I guess a flagship is always partly an advertisement for a range's DNA as a whole, and as we know, quality does not necessarily increase in lock-step with the dollar amount.  If only it did!

That said, the general public's reaction - i.e. you're a cool guy for spending $60,000 on a car, and a nutcase for spending $10,000 on an amp - drives me crazy.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #58 of 114
This is a great review!!

I just want to comment about the HD800.

I have heard 4 HD800 all on the same system within minutes of each other and there was no true varying degree (to my ears) of sound presentation.

The Serial numbers ranged from around 300 to where they presently run at in the 10k range.

I'm sure some HD800 have sounded different from others, but my ears proved to me that there are no variable degrees based on serial number.  Getting the treble and bass to sound appropriate to one's tastes appears to be entirely an amp related issue and just a matter of personal taste.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #59 of 114
I was getting my hopes up when you said the Swedish word for free(gratis). I had it all set up in my mind trying this piece of audio at the local Head-fi meet here in Stockholm in Mars. Damn you! Great review and very nicely put in words though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back