Apex Peak and Volcano Loaner Program
Nov 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #33 of 47
Nov 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 47

Quote:
Loaner arrived today in good shape.  Listening now via the DA11.  So far, so good.

BK

I see you have the V200 amp with the LCD-2.  I have the same combo.  I am very interested in any comparisons you could give between the peak and the 200 with the LCD-2's.  I am on the loaner list as well so I will know soon enough, but any input you could give would be much appreciated.   

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
I see you have the V200 amp with the LCD-2.  I have the same combo.  I am very interested in any comparisons you could give between the peak and the 200 with the LCD-2's.  I am on the loaner list as well so I will know soon enough, but any input you could give would be much appreciated.   

These are two totally different beasts for sure, but both are still exceptional with the LCD-2.  The V200 is more colored and, dare I say it, more entertaining.  It makes even marginal material sound good.  The P/V gives back the fine detail that the V200 took away, opens up the soundstage significantly and brightens up the LCD-2 by a good measure.  I find its presentation to be very honest and at the same time ruthless with less than ideal source material - it pulls no punches.  The bass with the P/V and LCD-2 is awe-inspiring.  You are in for a real treat.  Full writeup to follow after my loan period/evaluation is complete!

BK

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:

Quote:

These are two totally different beasts for sure, but both are still exceptional with the LCD-2.  The V200 is more colored and, dare I say it, more entertaining.  It makes even marginal material sound good.  The P/V gives back the fine detail that the V200 took away, opens up the soundstage significantly and brightens up the LCD-2 by a good measure.  I find its presentation to be very honest and at the same time ruthless with less than ideal source material - it pulls no punches.  The bass with the P/V and LCD-2 is awe-inspiring.  You are in for a real treat.  Full writeup to follow after my loan period/evaluation is complete!

BK

That is just what I wanted to hear.  Thank you.  I like the V200 a lot with the LCD-2 and my other phones, but one thing I have noticed when comparing it to other amps is it doesn't seem to have the widest soundstage.  Are you using the stock tube that came with the PV?

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
That is just what I wanted to hear.  Thank you.  I like the V200 a lot with the LCD-2 and my other phones, but one thing I have noticed when comparing it to other amps is it doesn't seem to have the widest soundstage.  Are you using the stock tube that came with the PV?

Prepare for an enlarged soundstage.  The loaner will include two stock tubes and a freshly burned in Shuguang
atsmile.gif

BK

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #38 of 47
The P/V goes off to the next guy on the list tomorrow.  Good times.  Review to follow in a few days...

BK

(updated with listening impressions below)

[size=medium]**Listening impressions added 12/1/10**[/size]

[size=medium]First off, I want to give a big thanks to Todd at TTVJ for providing the opportunity to spend some real quality time with the Peak/Volcano.[/size]

[size=medium]The vast majority of my headphone listening is with Audeze LCD-2 from a Violectric V200 solid state amp fed with balanced output from a Lavry DA11 employing primarily USB input.  For routine entertainment and exposure to new material, I stream Pandora in “high quality” mode (192kbps - gasp!).  More critical/special listening is with FLAC rips and some 24/96 material, such as the Open Your Ears compilation from HD Tracks.  My music interests are very diverse, including classical, rock, reggae, blues, acoustic, etc.[/size]

[size=medium]With great anticipation, I setup the newly arrived P/V, configured the DA11 for non-balanced output and let things warm up a bit.  I went straight to the Volcano power supply and I did not use the lower grade “brick” power supply that was included in the large Pelican shipping case.  This would be my first experience with any type of tube, and I found the slight glow to be mesmerizing.  The build quality of the P/V is top notch.  Even, dark black anodizing, nice ventilation slot design, tasteful knob layout and LEDs.  It’s an attractive setup and certainly something to be proud of.  Case got warm, but never hot.  I suppose it’s a consequence of the numerous large power supply capacitors, but after mains power-off it takes nearly a minute for the LEDs to go out - cool.  On power-up there are some relay clicks and a muting delay to allow for stabilization – no nasty thumps.[/size]

[size=medium]Honestly, the first listen was a bit confusing to my ears.  There was new detail, dramatic increase in spaciousness/soundstage and a rather startling and visceral bass response.  There was a lot going on that my brain needed to process.  The highs were however a bit hotter than I was used to.  I was fully expecting lush and magical mids, but instead I was greeted with an odd harshness and “glare” in the upper mids.  I tried to retain an open mind and not rush to judgment, but frankly I was somewhat disappointed with what I was hearing.  I sampled some familiar tracks and continued to listen, but I found my ears getting fatigued at regular intervals, which is something that never happens out of the V200, which I can easily listen to for hours and hours.  I persevered for a few evenings and discovered that I was acclimating somewhat to the characteristics of this curious amp, and also discovering new things about my music.  That last part is significant.  However, that “glare” was still bothering me.[/size]

[size=medium]What’s going on here?  Maybe the Russian Tung-Sol tube is not doing this amp justice?  Unfortunately I don’t own a compatible alternative tube, but I got in touch with Todd and he offered to send out a nice Shuguang tube to include with the loaner.  He also sent a set of very trick Cardas Golden Reference interconnects.  Sweet!  The Shuguang tube made a big difference….less bass impact than the Tung-Sol, but it seemed to smooth out the rough edges in the upper mid region…overall a more civilized and sophisticated treatment.  Now we’re talking!  After changing the tube I had a couple of experiences where I actually got goosebumps listening to some very familiar tracks.  The level of detail that the P/V brings to the table is just outstanding.[/size]

[size=medium]One characteristic that is phenomenal with the LCD-2 + P/V-Shuguang combo is the bass texture and extension.  One of my guilty pleasures is music from Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, Pepper, The Expendables, etc.  Just wow.  There is some seriously satisfying stuff going on down low, stuff that I did not know existed, and the V200 is no slouch in the current/power/bass department!  Another area where the P/V excels is with percussion and transients.  What a treat.  Guns & Roses’ Locomotive is one good example that this amp deconvolutes particularly well.  I put the P/V through its paces with the Open Your Ears 24/96 test compilation and it performed brilliantly.  As much as I appreciate bass, I put an even greater premium on musical authenticity and detail, and in these two respects the P/V is a real winner.  The percussion impact and decay is there, the cymbal shimmer is there, the human vocals are there – it’s all there, but not in an overly sterile way.  Frankly it seems to handle all genres easily.  I suppose these are also characteristics that would make the P/V a good pre-amp.[/size]

[size=medium]Reflecting back on my initial concerns with the harshness in the mids, I have now come to believe that was primarily a result of poor recordings and the rather unforgiving Tung-Sol tube.  My V200 obviously rounds off and smooths out those details, thus making mediocre recordings more listenable, at the unfortunate expense of some detail.  In contrast, the P/V pulls no punches and delivers it up as is – no subdued lighting here.[/size]

[size=medium]I spent one evening testing all the headphones in my inventory, which except for the YH-1 orthodynamic are mostly sensitive and low-impedance cans.  At this point in time I have a strong preference for the LCD-2, so nothing else really seemed to measure up.  Can’t knock the amp for that.  The YH-1 took MUCH more turn on the volume knob to get a good listening level.  I normally set the DA11 output so that normal listening is about halfway on the amp volume control, or 12:00.  The YH-1 required about 4:00 as I recall.  The very sensitive ATH-AD2000 produced some audible hum, particularly when touching the P/V casework, so be aware of that if that sort of thing annoys you and you use very sensitive cans.[/size]

[size=medium]For the final few loaner days I rigged up my DA11 to an Oppo BDP-83 player and utilized its optical and SPDIF digital outputs, as well as analog RCA output directly to the P/V, bypassing the DA11.  I also tested analog output from the P/V to my Onkyo receiver feeding Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 monitors and a Rythmik Audio 15” direct-servo subwoofer.  The whole family was able to get involved on this one.  Inserting the headphone connector mutes the outputs, which is a nice touch.  All I can really say is that everything functioned correctly and sounded absolutely great – many CDs were enjoyed.[/size]

[size=medium]I got onto the P/V loaner list a few months ago when I started to get curious about what various high-end amps could do for me in terms of presenting my music.  Since then the DIY bug has taken hold and I now have a few projects in the works, including a hybrid solid-state/tube amp.  The P/V has set the bar very high indeed and I feel that I have tasted something special.  I think if I had not gone down the DIY path, I would DEFINITELY want to save and own my very own Peak/Volcano.  One big lesson for me here was that it can take some TIME to acclimate to and really understand a new piece of gear.[/size]

[size=medium]In summary, the Peak/Volcano is a well thought out and implemented top-tier amp that can also serve pre-amp duty.  It offers great bass and detail and remains neutral, and in my experience it pairs exceptionally well with the LCD-2.[/size]

[size=medium]BK[/size]

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #40 of 47
Just a heads-up on shipping the large pelican case by UPS.  I initially weighed it and measured it, printed out a label and dropped it off at UPS.  During transit the billing was adjusted $7.52 because the dimensions were 19x21x21 as opposed to 19x19x19 (shipping rate 43.2 pounds).  A week after delivery I got yet another billing adjustment for $8.00 for an extra handling charge because the package was not "encased in cardboard."  That's one I've never heard before.

Overall cost to ship now at >$60.  In retrospect it might have been a bad idea to give UPS my credit card number!

BK

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #41 of 47
Same happened to me, BTW. Was kind of an expensive review...

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:
A week after delivery I got yet another billing adjustment for $8.00 for an extra handling charge because the package was not "encased in cardboard."  That's one I've never heard before.

BK

Had the exact same charge when I shipped the case in July.  Nasty surprise from UPS, but the shipping store did give me warning that they might do this.

--Ken

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #44 of 47
HI All,

A few of you loaner program guys have not delivered a review of the Peak and Volcano and that is a part of the deal. Please fulfill your promise to write a review - it will help with future loaner programs going forward. Many thanks to those who have participated and done their review. I do not expect a lengthy, full blown review but I do expect some effort put forth to give a description of what you have heard. That is what TTVJ gets out of this for sending out expensive gear for you to audition in your home with your gear.

I do have 1 Peak and Volcano in stock and ready to ship. With this one I will substitute a Shuguang Black Bottle tube for the lucky new owner...

Todd

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #45 of 47
Copy/pasting from the Head Gear page.  Thanks to jax for letting me know about that the amp was in the area and (obviously) to Todd for letting me do a mini-loaner!

Quote:
Being pretty new to this hobby, I relish the opportunity to try new things.  So it was with excitement that I jumped on the chance to have a home audition of the loaner Peak and Volcano.  That I would be able to just pick it up from the house of a local fellow head-fier who would also help split the shipping costs of sending the battleship of a case it travels in was icing on the cake.  Granted, shipping ended up being something like 12 bucks because of where I work, but that’s another story.  Anyway, all good things usually come with some sort of catch.  Fortunately for me, the only request from Todd was that I post a review and impressions of the amp…so here is said review.  It’s my first one, so I hope you can either bear with me or have stopped reading already.

To give folks a point of reference, my normal setup is a Squeezebox Touch, Assemblage DAC 2.7, Stacker II hybrid amplifier, and LCD-2 headphones with ALO cable.  For my audition, I just swapped out the Stacker in the chain.  Occasionally to get my brain recalibrated and to do comparisons, I swapped back and forth on the amps, but for the most part I will try to keep this review on the Peak itself, and not on any kind of in-depth A/B evaluation with my amp.

As far as the setup on the Peak, I mostly used the Shuguang Black Bottle 6SN7 and the Volcano Power Supply.  I did some messing around to find a sound I like, and eventually settled on a loaner Oyaide Tunami GPX power cable that I had been trying out.  I also tried some different tubes (including the stock Tung Sol) and the stock power supply, just to see how things changed up.  I definitely found the most enjoyment with the Shuguang tube and Volcano, and so most of my impressions are using that combination.  If I were to purchase the Peak, I would probably consider the Volcano and a tube upgrade about as close to “must-haves” as I’ve run into so far in this crazily subjective hobby.

That all out of the way, let’s begin with what I perceived as the strengths of the Peak and Volcano.  Immediately apparent to me was how quiet and black the background was.  There no hum or hiss audible even when I turned the volume up quite loud.  This fed straight into what I think is one of the primary strengths of this amp: separation.  The detail, clarity, and air surrounding the vocals and parts of the mid range, in particular, were very impressive.  Pieces with various sounds like acoustic guitars and vocals displayed excellent space around the different components and with distinct and precise imaging.  For instance, listening to Olomana’s “Kanaka Waiwai” (one of my favorite Hawiian slack key guitar pieces) I felt I could pinpoint where each of the three different guitars were in relation to each other.  This strong imaging was also apparent in other pieces, particularly in electronic pieces where I could clearly hear when sounds shifted and moved laterally from left to right.

To go a bit further, I know it has already been said (but bears repeating) that the presentation of the Peak can be described as holographic, almost as if you could perceive different layers of sounds coming from different distances in a 3-dimensional space.  The sound does tends to come from a slightly forward area, like a cone radiating from the center of hearing, but the left and right soundstage is also still pretty good, though not the widest I have heard.  Certain more newly recorded pieces seemed to benefit a great deal from the layered presentation.   While listening to Do As Infinity’s “Baby! Baby! Baby!” I was struck by the different layers I could make out where guitars, vocals, and percussion seemed to originate from different distances in front of me.  Ironically, however, I also felt that this worked against the music in certain pieces  because the Peak sometimes seemed to separate things almost a little too much, occasionally making a sound or passage come across as a little too isolated and not part of a contiguous whole . While this was not a universal experience, I did find it once in a while on some choral works such as the Kyrie movement from “Mozart’s Requiem” and the painfully simple “Walking Through the Empty Age” from Texhnolyze.

That being said, the vocals I heard on the Peak were for the most part outstanding.  If I were to put words to it, I would describe them as silky, smooth, with a round fullness through most of the mid vocal range.  On the higher end, I found the Peak very balanced with certain sibilant sounds coming across well but without excessive energy.  This made the tone and presentation quite pleasant and easy to listen to for me, especially since I tend to be sensitive to sounds that are a little more “hot” in the treble area.  On the lower end, the bass extends very deep, though it didn’t seem to have as much thump or rumble as some might desire.  Elsewhere, I found the lower mid range to occasionally be a little muddy or recessed.  For instance, I felt the synthesizers in Depeche Mode’s “Walking In My Shoes” became a little indistinct below a certain point, like I could hear the harmony line playing clearly, but then when it dropped below a certain range it became a little harder to pick out.

Overall, the Peak did very well in portraying music, especially ones favoring the middle to upper mid range.  It has wonderful clarity without crossing the line into becoming overly sterile, though to my ears it did seem to lean a touch toward a more faithful presentation rather than emotional involvement.  This isn’t to say that the Peak is cold or analytical, but as with most any piece of equipment in our hobby, it has its own strengths and whether those are right up your alley is a matter of taste.  It definitely has solid vocals, great clarity, and superb imaging, so if a prospective buyer were looking for an amp with those qualities (particularly one that played well with the LCD-2 and towards some of its strengths), the Peak/Volcano would be something I would suggest they listen to if possible.  It’s not a giant-killer or world-beater, but it is an amp that delivers solid performance and one that really excels in certain particular areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back