Apex glacier or pico slim
Apr 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

John0405

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.
These two amps would be used with the algorythm solo... I won't use the dac part of the glacier. I'd pair them with my miracles.
What are the main differences in sound signature between these two amps? I haven't found any comparisons between the glacier and the pico slim...
Thanks in advance for your help
John

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 11
I think glacier would stake up nicely on your solo and sound excellent but pico is made for IEM. I would go with glacier based on what I have read.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Glacier is better but has quite a large footprint so it may not be as portable. If you have the money, I say for for the Apex Glacier. If you don't like it, you could always sell it and go for a Pico Slim.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Hello.
These two amps would be used with the algorythm solo... I won't use the dac part of the glacier. I'd pair them with my miracles.
What are the main differences in sound signature between these two amps? I haven't found any comparisons between the glacier and the pico slim...
Thanks in advance for your help
John

if you have a CLAS...why not go alo rx?  

I've never heard the glacier but i think one of the big selling points is that its a dac/amp combo.  so not using the dac portion would be kind of loss imo.

I dont know about the miracles, but my jh13's paired amazingly well with the original alo rx.  Still haven't found an amp with so much synergy with the jh13's.

As im more of a portable rig than transportable (CLAS + amp, or just bigger amps in general) guy now I use the pico slim.  It pairs fairly well with the jh13's...not as good as the alo rx but pretty close without considering the size difference.  I used to run an ipod nano to an rsa shadow...which was the ultimate ultra portable rig.... the nano didnt cut it.  

so now its an ipod mini with the pico slim.... slightly bigger than the nano + shadow; but it pairs better with my jh13's.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the info
I owned the pico slim and the rx mk2 before. Loved the energetic sound signature of the pico, and loved the bass of the rx. I'd like a more upfront sound, and the Glacier seemed good in that regard....
And by the way, I don't have the clas yet, but I intend to buy it if I can manage to sell my hp p1.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Reviving an old thread I've started some time ago...
I finally bought the glacier, but paired with the clas, I'm feeling the combo lacks both punch and bass. The glacier is just to "cold" for me with my miracles.
Question is: will the pico slim bring the extra bass and slam I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance, if someone can help me on this

Jon

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Glacier is better but has quite a large footprint so it may not be as portable. If you have the money, I say for for the Apex Glacier. If you don't like it, you could always sell it and go for a Pico Slim.

+1, And don't get the mk3 not good for iem! If you want a upgraded mk2 get the Alo continental v2 (dark) or V3 (brighter). But Honestly I think you would love the glacier if you like bright signature with a large sound stage and good separation.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 11
I do have the glacier. And I found that paired with the clas and the miracles, the sound is lifeless at best. The only problem I have with the continental, is the battery life.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Then ray samuels audio predator. Sounds better then the continental @ over 600 hours. No battery life issue brings that warmth/lively feeling into your miracles that you like from the continental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back