Apartment setup ideas?
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'll be moving into my first apartment and I want a quality audio system but I don't want to get the neighbours mad/jealous.
For the receiver I've got my eyes on Pioneer VSX-1021-K, Denon AVR-1912/2312c... Airplay is almost a must as I'll be streaming through the PS3 or receiver, my whole itunes library (unless the audio quality sucks...if so please suggests me an alternative)
I'll also be using my headphones (AKG HD172) with the receiver...any comments on that?

So I'm looking to buy a 2.1 system setup...I'd like to keep it under a 1000$, but if I'm honest with myself I know it won't happen so I'm open to suggestions
I LOVE tight and punchy bass, good highs is also a must...
I'm wondering if going with towers is asking for trouble (neighbours)? In that case would my only choice be bookshelves?

Thanks a lot!

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Good tower/floorstanding speakers is the way to go. Good ones will let you skip a subwoofer, which I'm not crazy about. It's often difficult to find the correct crossover frequency for the sub and then you have to figure out the best place in the room for it. Setup is considerably easier when you jus have two speakers with good bass.

$1,000 will get you a good setup, too. I don't know if they'd be ideal for you, but the $600 Magnepan MMG is a steal. No room-shaking bass, but it will be tight and precise. Mids and highs will be great. Instead of an AV receiver, I'd look at used separates (preamp and power amp) as well as integrated (both in one box) amps and receivers from NAD, Rotel, Adcom, Marantz, and Rega. Good stuff and it will hold value. You'll find used ones at Audiogon.

Another speaker brand I like is PSB. Look around their models.

Also give some thought to DIY. Madisound has great kits. The cabinets are mostly finished and come with built crossovers. You just need a screwdriver and a few hours to put them together. No cutting, no drilling, no sanding, no finishing, no soldering. If you can build an Ikea desk, you can assemble them. Some of the models are of very high quality, too. Look at the ones from Zaph|Audio. Zaph's website is amazingly detailed and full of measurements and specs for his speakers. Can't say I've seen a commercial manufacturer with that level of detail. You could get terrific sound and save a lot of money with one of his kits.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 3
definitely check out the Totem Arro (tight and punchy bass). beware that large floorstanders in small rooms can be overwhelming. I had to return a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's because they were too much. if I had the room I would've kept them though; bookshelves can't reproduce the same powerful sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back