Apartment...cans?
Jun 12, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 25
Still, even with a proper amp/headphone setup, that soundcard is really going to bottleneck the system. Don't forget to try a different source other than the audigy2.

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 25
Why would it be the bottleneck, considering I use the kX series drivers, and Kernel Streaming from Foobar? I mean, theoretically there are better sources, however I would think that a decent card should be able to drive a high impedance amp, or if you mean the DACs could be better, well, I'm sure that is true, however in my home setup I use an M-Audio Audiophile and am happy with the setup.

However I have not bought the creative yet, is there a better solution for my laptop?

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 25
Going from the audiophile to an audigy, no matter what drivers you use, will be dissapointing. You might try an audiophile usb if you like the one you already have.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #19 of 25
bjackson,

your location isnt listed, but if you live in the US, once you have a good idea of what headphones you might like, there are retailers like Headroom that do allow you to try out the headphones (for a period, e.g. 30 days) and return them if you dont like them. this may help if you can't audition phones locally.

you may also want to see if there are any local meets in your area, since you'd most likely get to try out a variety of goodies there.

good luck

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #20 of 25
Ah, well I am from central Illinois (Peoria).

About the sound card, is there such a thing as a soundcard that will have the requisite power to power decent headphones without an external amplifier, while maintaing high quality, because I can justify spending 200 on a soundcard if it's also my amp. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #21 of 25
well, i am definitely NOT an expert on these types of things, and these arent soundcards, but you may want to look into the following items:

Headroom Bithead -- i believe it has a better DAC than some soundcards, and acts as a headamp. Bithead ($199)& Total Bithead ($269)

AOS also sells a DAC/AMP combo that you might be interested in, but it costs a good deal more i think. http://www.aoselectronics.com/

There is also the Grace 901 or 902, which are high end DAC/Amps, but are quite costly.

You might want to read up on those in the Amp or Source forums. Again, hope you find something that works.

Jun 12, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 25
biggrin.gif
Take it from a HUGE classical music and jazz fan - you will need more than one headphone! LOL!

Anyway, here are my recommendations:

Senn HD-600/650 (with an amp - best for classical IMHO)
UE Super.fi Pro's
Anything Grado

Lesser recomendations:
Senn HD-580
ETYS
Shure E3's
Shure E2's

Good luck finding your "perfect" 'phones and sorry about the wallet!

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 25
I am much more interested in jazz, if that helps any with suggestions

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson
I'd like something 250 maximum range, preferably less, that has good deep articulate bass, a very nice fluid midrange, and a treble that is restrained but not muted.

How about Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR80 (or SR225) or AKG K271S?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson
I.e. I want the perfect audio experiance!

[/QUOTE]

We all do!
smily_headphones1.gif
) That's why I ended up having several cans: for classical music, for rock, for jazz, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 25
If you are using an audigy, even with the good drivers and such, you will still probably want a headroom bithead or total bithead...

Get that, so it can power your headphones, and get something appropriate for that, ie, not necessarily easy to drive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back