Apartment advice needed near Yonkers/Newark
Aug 13, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

flashnolan

500+ Head-Fier
I need to find an apartment within driving distance of Mahwah, NJ. It can be on either side of the border. I don't know the area. Does anyone know what areas around there are good and which ones are sketchy? Any ideas? Thanks.

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 15
If you need to be able to commute to Mahwah, I'd look for something west of the Hudson River. Is there any reason why you are looking at Yonkers? In order to get to Mahwah from Yonkers, you have to take the Tappan Zee Bridge which is not all that direct. Living closer to Mahwah either in NJ or NY would be beneficial. The Mahwah area is very suburban and tends to be a bit rural if you head north or west.

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 15
I just put Yonkers in the title as I thought that was one of the largest names in the area. I am looking at anything in the area. I may have found something in Newark. Is there anything I should be aware of living in Newark? Ok place or would warn against?

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 15
Look west of the Hudson River if for no other reason but to avoid a bridge toll on your daily commute. That could cost $6 to $10 per/day. Not Newark, dangerous and unattractive (I'm being kind). I'd look west of Mahwah in NJ, maybe around West Milford. Basically stay in NJ, lower taxes that NY, still high but lower than NY and the farther away from the city and the burbs you get, the less the rents. Good luck.`

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Basically stay in NJ, lower taxes that NY, still high but lower than NY

I assume you're referring to sales tax since NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation. And the sales tax isn't that much lower now - 7% in NJ and variable in NY depending on where you live, usually anywhere from 7% to 9.5%.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Yea, i would stay away from newark as someone else stated. They are beautifying the area, but its still a scarey place. The only problem with the mahwah area is you have towns like leonia, fort lee, hohokaus, ridgewood, saddle river etc that are expensive and could be daunting even though there are some cheaper alternatives within or around that area.

If you're looking to go west id not go further than linkin park.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 15
The only area in Newark I would say is ok is the Ironbound. Having said that, the commute from Newark to Mahwah would be a real pain in the neck. I would definately look around Mahwah itself. Mahwah and the surrounding area is relatively quiet, very safe, and even a little picturesque (Not Grand Canyon picturesque, but hey, its pretty good for the NYC area).

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Thank you for your advice. I am the kind of person that does not mind living in the city. One particular apartment I found in Newark does not have bars on the windows so I am not too worried.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your advice. I am the kind of person that does not mind living in the city. One particular apartment I found in Newark does not have bars on the windows so I am not too worried.

It's probably a "bring your own bars" apartment.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you're referring to sales tax since NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation. And the sales tax isn't that much lower now - 7% in NJ and variable in NY depending on where you live, usually anywhere from 7% to 9.5%.

We still have places around West New York with 3% sales tax....BTW propriety taxes may be higher but look for prices of properties and you will be amazed of how much you will pay for a 100 year old house in NY....

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

if you're up for a city then do the real deal and go to nyc, one of the world's greatest cities! newark doesn't enter that realm by a long shot and isn't convenient to mahwah. nyack, ny is a very funky little town that actually might be kinda neat to live in. it's not terribly convenient to mahway, but shouldn't be too bad either, and it is by the hudson river and has better access to nyc than some of the other aforementioned suggestions.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Tell me where in Newark the apartment is, and I'll tell you if you should be worried. On a more important note, as stated before by me and others, the commute from Newark to Mahwah is not convienent. The traffic would be horrible and the distance is relatively far. Look in or around Mahwah if you want to keep your wits.

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 15
And the commute from inside NYC is going to be worse. As for it not having bars, you want the bars. Don't live in Newark. The traffic in the entire area is ridiculous with a capitol R, and it is getting worse by the year. Try to live as close as you can. Perhaps just up 87 a bit in Orange County.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back