AOS Sostenuto
Jun 20, 2004 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lcachola

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit at wit's end here. I just got an AOS Sostenuto to use as a DAC between my Audiotrak Prodigy and Gilmore Lite and right now I'm not hearing ANYTHING. So, here's what I've tried:

Basically, using 1.993 of the Audiotrak drivers with 44.1Khz clock.

This was my system before, which I was able to get sound out without any issues - and still can get sound with no issues:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 -> Bolder Digital Cable -> Stock Art DI/O -> Headphile silver cable - > Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR225

Here's what what I'm trying now. Please note that the only thing I changed was AOS and RCA cabling - this yields no sound:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 -> Bolder Digital Cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> unknown RCA - > Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR225

Here's another combo I've tried - this also yields no sound:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 -> unknown RCA -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> generic RCA - > Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR225

Here's another combo I've tried - this also yields no sound:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 -> Bolder Digital Cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225

And this, which also yields no sound:

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 -> generic RCA cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225

On a related note, I've also had these problems:

NEC CDR-602 -> Bolder Digital Cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225 has a few dropouts in the sound

NEC CDR-602 -> generic RCA cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225 has a few dropouts

NEC CDR-602 -> Bolder Digital Cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> generic RCA -> Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR225 has a LOT of dropouts.

NEC CDR-602 -> generic RCA -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> generic RCA -> Gilmore Lite -> Grado SR225 has a LOT of dropouts.

However, the Sostenuto A-1 DOES work without flaw in the following combinations we tried:

Chaintech AV710 -> generic optical cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> any headphone
E-Mu 1212M -> generic optical cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> any headphone
M-Audio Sonica -> glass toslink -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> any headphone
Sony NS725 dvd player -> generic optical cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225
Sony NS725 dvd player -> Bolder Digital Cable -> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225
NEC CDR-602 -> generic RCA to mini RCA analog-> AOS Sostenuto-1 -> Grado SR225

So, does anybody have any ideas as to why the Sostenuto isn't working at all with the Prodigy? Anybody have any ideas as to why the Sostenuto is dropping out so much the the NEC?

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes - the reason for that is that Sostenuto-1 uses DIR1703E receiver chip which is very picky about the quality of the input signal. Some sources don't work at all, and some have audible artifacts. Sometimes using a proper good digital cable helps, as it won't degrade the signal much, but if the signal is not clean to begin with, it may not work at all.

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
Yes - the reason for that is that Sostenuto-1 uses DIR1703E receiver chip which is very picky about the quality of the input signal. Some sources don't work at all, and some have audible artifacts. Sometimes using a proper good digital cable helps, as it won't degrade the signal much, but if the signal is not clean to begin with, it may not work at all.

I suspected as much. I did notice that it was the coax input that was giving me the problems, though I was able to get it to work with my Sony DVD player. I ended up using the optical output from my Chaintech to the Sostenuto since I knew it worked in Iron Dreamer's rig on Saturday. So, problem solved.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos

That is what I figured, AOS, that it was just very finicky about the digital input quality. As I detailed in the meet thread, the difference in sound between using the modded EMU as a transport and the Sonica was beyond major. It went from sounding like a $500+ DAC on the EMU (such that in that setup, it beat the Grace 901's DAC) to a $50 from the sonica. That was the first I'd used any of your gear, but with a good digital signal it sounded very nice indeed, and the look and build-quality is great as well. If you could piggyback one of those DAC's on an XR71 with a great portable CD transport, HOLY COW! on the go
biggrin.gif
Good work man!

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Is it easier to get a good "optical" digital signal, vs. one from an RCA-type connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back