Anything that can be powered without an amp
Apr 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

maymur8

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some headphones that can be powered without an amp...
I have a price limit of about $250, and would like the headphones to have good isolation, and bass...
I currently have the Pioneer HDJ-2000's but while they sound great in a quiet room, they don't have the isolation im looking for...

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 16
Audio Technica ATH-A900 or A900X (decent bass, and quality sound).
Denon AH-D2000 (BASS).

May 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 16
dt770/80 CAN be run without an amp but the bass isn't as controlled (though I'm not even a huge fan of them when amped).  I like the k540s when I'm using an ipod or traveling without an amp.  They aren't the most impressive cans out there (especially in build quality), but they are fairy neutral and bring out what's actually in the track for a cheap price.  They'll be under budget and do decent bass (and isolation) in songs where it is there, but it won't add any extra bass.  I always bring them up to raise awareness lol.  Not many people know of them / have heard them, but I actually really like their tone especially at the price and their ease of use.  They aren't build very well though, they feel cheap imho.

May 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 16
tried the hd 25 1-ii and they sounded great overall, but didnt seem to excel in the low end which is what i need...
heard alot about the the d2000's but i've read that you NEED an amp for them... just double checking that...
I also know this is a really bad method of this, but looks do matter to me...
and the 770's don't appeal to me that much...
in the end it is about sound quality, but isolation is practical and I like cans that look nice...

May 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Anything closed with an impedance of 16 - 64 Ohms will work unamped.

May 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Tried the HD 25 1-ii and they sounded great overall, but didn't seem to excel in the low end which is what I need...
heard a lot about the the d2000's but I've read that you NEED an amp for them... just double checking that...
in the end it is about sound quality, but isolation is practical and I like cans that look nice...

I would believe the DT770 Pro (80-Ohm) would be more in need of amping over the AH-D2000 (25-Ohm).
The Denon should work best with a solid state headphone amplifier with low impedance.
The DT 770 Pro (80-Ohm) is more in the middle between tube and solid state.
I still think the AH-D2000 will perform better on an unamped headphone jack over the DT770.
What are you gong to be plugged the headphones into?

May 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
tried the hd 25 1-ii and they sounded great overall, but didnt seem to excel in the low end which is what i need...
heard alot about the the d2000's but i've read that you NEED an amp for them... just double checking that...

Idk why people are suggesting the D2k they don't isolate very well at all. Don't your HDJ-2000's isolate pretty well?

I would look at either the DT 770M or the HD 25-1-II or the DT 1350.

May 2, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 16
i'll be plugging the headphones into a Samsung YP-P2, old mp3 player, but still sounds great...
also the HDJ-2000's were great, but when i wore them around others they lost a lot of detail due to outside noise...

The dt 1350's look nice...
how is its low end?

May 2, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The bass response of the HD25-1 II seems to depend largely on having a good seal, you may need to experiment somewhat with the positioning to find the best sound. The same applies to the similarly built DT1350.

May 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Anything closed with an impedance of 16 - 64 Ohms will work unamped.

Not true actually. The AKG Q/K70x is 62 ohms and they need to be amped. Ohm ratings only tell one story, while the sensitivity and input power tells another

May 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 16
And if you want something with good isolation and good bass why not IEMs like someone said above? For $250 you can get a good IEM+portable Amp combo that will give you more than enough bass to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back