anything that can be done for UE-5c cable turning green?
Jun 30, 2005 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

naddy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have the ultimate ears UE5c w/ the clear cable and it is starting to turn green. I've heard of the Westone UM2 cable turning green also. Has anyone that has the ultimate ear clear cable had their's turn green? Can anything be done to prevent this?

Thanks,

Naddy

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 8
UE has updated their cable, I had some problems with the materials on my UE-10 Pros so I sent mine in and got back an "updated" pair of UE-10 Pros.

The cable is much thicker, possibly not turning green... no clue havent used it for long. I had fit problems with the acrylic material so I just sent it back this morning.

Originally I thought the old cable was *much much sexier* but the new cable is really growing on me.

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 8
You can put them in a box that is used with the um2. That has something in it that absorbs moist (i forgot the name of it). That should at least slow down the process of greening

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Stop watering and fertilizing it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 8
I've heard on a few very detailed threads on the matter that the 'greening' effect of the copper wiring is nothing to worry about, and does not degrade the performance of your IEM's in any way. The signal still travels with full fidelity even when this phenomenon occurs, and isn't something to be concerned about, IMHO.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I've heard on a few very detailed threads on the matter that the 'greening' effect of the copper wiring is nothing to worry about, and does not degrade the performance of your IEM's in any way. The signal still travels with full fidelity even when this phenomenon occurs, and isn't something to be concerned about, IMHO.
5000smile.gif
Abe

I think Seeberg is right. Mine are green too now -- I've had them for fifteen months or so and it seemed to happen a few months ago, although I'm not sure. I think it is unnecessary to replace the cable unless you really dislike the aesthetics of your green one -- plus it's not clear to me how easy it is to remove the old cable (the plugs seem pretty tight).

I did order an $8 container from Ultimate Ears which includes a dessicant/drying agent, but I did this mostly for the earpieces themselves, as I do a fair amount of running and they definitely get wet. The container is supposed to help dry things out.

But really, I don't think there is a performance issue. It's just that the copper wire oxidizes over time. The newer thicker cable has been reengineered to prevent this, I believe.

I wonder what would happen to my UE5cs if I got caught in a thunderstorm while running! Would I be electrocuted? Or would my whole body turn green?
eek.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
I think Seeberg is right.

Thanks!

That's the second time I've seen those exact same words. Nothing wrong with agreeing with me, but when people don't, well, someone loses a finger
wink.gif

Seriously though, every time someone agrees with something I say or reacts positively, it brings a nice
biggrin.gif
to my face, for some reason. I thought I'd just mention that.

On the topic of the 'greening' effect, I'm surprised people don't complain when clear jacketed speaker cables oxidize. It happens to mine, but it's not like it matters. I don't need anything better than Home Depot 18/16 ga. lamp cord anyway(and it was Zemo that suggested this, and I agree with him on the matter), so I'm actually going to ditch my current speaker wiring in favor of the 'really cheap stuff'.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi!
From looking at my "new" and "old" version cable, it looks like they should be interchangable. You could order a replacement cable from UE if the color bugs you. Even a white one!
evil_smiley.gif
FYI, my "old" cable has turned a little green too . . .
[Edit: of course, call first to make sure they are interchangable.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back