Anything needed to know before purchasing a pair of D2000s?
Dec 11, 2007 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cl2yp71c

Head-Fier
wipes forehead*
Ok, so I finally found a can which I can gladly purchase after reading through a bunch of posts which contained both negetive and positive feedback concerning this headphone. I came upon the attractive price of $260(shipped with a US warranty)

The cans will be use both on-the-go(MTA,subway) and at home.

I will be using the Zune 80 as the source. I've read that the D2000s don't necesarily require an amp to sound great, however, I plan on purchasing one in the future when my bank account replinishes itself
biggrin.gif

I have a quick question about the wire: Can it be rolled up for portable use?
A three meter wire seems a bit much for the purpose of extending from my pocket to my head. Later on, I'll get it recabled APS for portable use, and as I have heard, better sound quality.

Besides my questions, are there any other quirks to this headphone?

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 15
Their clamping force isn't that great, so I imagine that they will move about a bit if you're using them on the go. Mind you, I'm used to Beyerdynamics...

Regarding the cable - there's no reason why you can't roll it up and stick it in your pocket/bag with the Zune. Use a rubber band to hold it rolled up.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their clamping force isn't that great, so I imagine that they will move about a bit if you're using them on the go. Mind you, I'm used to Beyerdynamics...

Regarding the cable - there's no reason why you can't roll it up and stick it in your pocket/bag with the Zune. Use a rubber band to hold it rolled up.

X2.
It's no problem to walk or sit down with them on for example a bus, but you can't lean over or shake your head, then they will fall of.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 15
MTA? so you're in NYC eh? Like shadesbass said the clamping is not that tight thats what makes them so comfortable. Another negative is that I think the subway might be too loud and the headphones won't block it out. Not to mention, the cans are huge and you'd just look silly.

The cans sound fine with my Zune 80, but its not something I'd consider using as a portable.

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 15
You probably won't be able to hear any music on the subway.

I find even a crowded library interfers with my music.

They are excellent headphones, but the lack of isolation pretty much rules them out for use in public.

They don't fold up, but the magnesium construction is strong, so I dont have any problem putting them in my backpack. If you are on the go, and you bend over, the headphones will fall off.

If on the go is a requirement, maybe look at beyer dt770's or ultrasone PL 750's

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2.
It's no problem to walk or sit down with them on for example a bus, but you can't lean over or shake your head, then they will fall of.

Ah, thanks for that advice. I'll be sure to manuever my head carefully then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant0nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MTA? so you're in NYC eh? Like shadesbass said the clamping is not that tight thats what makes them so comfortable. Another negative is that I think the subway might be too loud and the headphones won't block it out. Not to mention, the cans are huge and you'd just look silly.

The cans sound fine with my Zune 80, but its not something I'd consider using as a portable.

Haha, Not NY(thankfully), Los Angeles, it's not loud at all in the subway or busses..it's TOO quiet if you ask me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by physh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably won't be able to hear any music on the subway.

I find even a crowded library interfers with my music.

They are excellent headphones, but the lack of isolation pretty much rules them out for use in public.

They don't fold up, but the magnesium construction is strong, so I dont have any problem putting them in my backpack. If you are on the go, and you bend over, the headphones will fall off.

If on the go is a requirement, maybe look at beyer dt770's or ultrasone PL 750's

Well I've thought about it...and it's better to have it lacking a little isolation just in case there's something important to hear.
Well I'm liking the idea of the Ultrasone ProLine 750s. Are they driven fine unamped?
And the DT770s have too high of an impedence to be driven from a portable device, alone.(right?)

Well thanks for your replies!
Hope to get some more feedback soon.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's only 1 thing..don't get them. For portable, there's better choices. I recommend an IEM.

eh....I'm tired of IEMs, I need the REAL thing
hehe

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cl2yp71c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh....I'm tired of IEMs, I need the REAL thing
hehe

Then go to a show.

Kay more realistic answer. Have you considered any of the portable AT cans and such? D2000 may be nice and all, but it just ain't portable. Transportable is the best you can do with it.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then go to a show.

Kay more realistic answer. Have you considered any of the portable AT cans and such? D2000 may be nice and all, but it just ain't portable. Transportable is the best you can do with it.

Haha..well I guess I'm looking for the next best thing(at an affordable price).
Is there anything else nonportable about the D2000s besides what was mentioned on this post already?
And, how about the Ultrasone Proline 750!?
Is that more of a realistic portable can?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 15
I would get separate cans for home and portable use. IEM's for portable/isolation and full sized cans for home. If you're looking for just one pair for everything then I recommend just get a high end set of IEMs or the hd25.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 15
i have a pair of d2000's and a pair of hd-25's. I really do love the D2000's sound, and prefer to use them over my hd-25's when I'm at home and dont need isolation. However when I need a phone when im on the go its always the hd-25, they are unbreakable, lightweight, easily go around your neck, and the sound is decent (worst thing about sound is lack of soundstage), they also dont need an amp at all.

The D2000's are wonderful cans but not ideal for portable use by a longshot, if you plan to use it at home as well then I would recommend them along with some other cans for portable use.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 15
It's not like I'm planning to run a marathon with these.
I will simply use them for my peaceful(not for long) morning commute to work and back.

Well I've decided to be a little foolish and go against some of your words and get the Ultrasone PROLine 750. I've heard lots of great things about them and they seem good on the go with their isolative capabilities.

No worries though!
They come with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
So if they arent fit for my purposes, I can just return them and go back to the drawing board!

btw. I'll surely let you guys know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back