Anything just for digital music? I don't care about video!
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
So hey folks,

I've currently got a 60 gig Zen Vision M and I'm pretty happy with the sound quality. However, I'm already out of space on this entire player!

So here's what I'm thinking. I don't care about video. I don't care about photos. I don't care about the screen as long as the GUI is easy to use. I only care about music, sound quality, and capacity. Let me repeat that: I do not care about video or photos. I have a laptop and a camera for that.

So are there any players out there that are specifically devoted to providing the highest quality musical experience out there? I like to have a lot of space, but I'm not a real fan of iPods or their (imho) excessive cost and (imho) lousy sound quality.

Let me know, Head-Fi folks!

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 13
You can get a Zune 30 and install a 100GB hard drive.

Link

I don't think that the 160GB IPod Classic is overpriced at $350. If you don't need the portability, you can pick up a portable amp and use the line-out of an IPod.

-Pony

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Agreed. Get a 160 gig iPod and use it with an amp. Any other choices would either be installing bigger hard drives into things or using something huge like the Cowon Q5, and that's certainly not a dedicated music player.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Urgh. I really don't want to have to lug a headphone amp.... I'd probably end up leaving it at my office desk. It just sucks to have to deal with crappier sound quality when I'm on the go.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 13
if you want space.. then go for the iPod 160GB
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by impressive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want space.. then go for the iPod 160GB
wink.gif

I've just had so many godawful experiences with the iPod's SQ....

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, for only $2,400, you can get 30 of the new/upcoming 4GB Sandisk Sansa Clips -- 120GB of very good sound, in 30 highly portable "modules."
wink.gif

I have the 1GB clip, and it's just what you're looking for in terms of being a music player only, with very good sound (plus it's highly EQ'able). Of course, the 1GB capacity is a bit lower than what you're looking for ...

I do share your concern about music players -- I hope you find something that meets your needs.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I'm a little sketched out by buying portable gear used. Too easy for something to have been dropped....

Perhaps, but a friend of mine bought an H120 a short while ago and is very satisfied with it. It looked like new when he got it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 13
on this board, people are generally very trustworthy and there are MANY things to buy here.

but yeah, installing a 100gb HDD in an old Zune would be a good idea for you. the sound is great.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 13
You can also get a Archos 605 for 379. I have both the IPOD 6g 160gb & the Archos 605. If my Alpine deck didn't latch up with the IPOD so sweetly, I would dump the IPOD. The 605 has digital out via it's docking station. It also has WIFI so you can attach to music directories on your network. It also has a great 5 EQ that you can set yourself instead of trying to get one the factory preset EQ settings to work.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also get a Archos 605 for 379. ...

Agreed. The 160GB capacity should suffice you for a while. However, it is not a dedicated music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back