Anything better than the Q5S for the same price?
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #16 of 31
Good idea
Althou i think that is for later to worry about
Like when the built in battery is dieing
For now i havent even bought the thing xD
(at that point ill probably need external battery for the laptop anyway :/)

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 31
Good idea
Althou i think that is for later to worry about
Like when the built in battery is dieing
For now i havent even bought the thing xD
(at that point ill probably need external battery for the laptop anyway :/)

No really. You should do some reading on Mojo thread regarding it's battery. It is the first thing to fail if you don't take care of it.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #18 of 31
Ok thanks
I dont like dealing with stupid batteries
but eh :frowning2:

What do you think about the dragonfly cobalt than?

Just as a sidenote i think the battery is the first thing to fail in most things with a battery xD
I have an nvidia shield bought in 2015 and the battery is just terrible now
Also the case with old phones

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #19 of 31
I would consider the XDuoo XD-05 since the 1990s are not wired for balanced. It has more power than the Q5 single-ended and a 1/4 inch headphone out, which will help prevent against damage over time.

It also has a bluetooth module that can be bought separately if you end-up preferring the convenience later; the op amps are also upgradable.

The “plus” is $100 less than the Q5s, and still $50 cheaper even with the Bluetooth adapter. With 1W of power at 32ohms single-ended, it should have no issues driving the DT 1990.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 31
If I wanted a small portable DAC/amp combo, I'd definitely be looking at that iFi HipDAC. The analog bass boost alone would rule.

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 31
Ok thanks

Mister, seeing this topic, i also recommend you to go for Mojo.
The battery is not the best after time, but you actually can change it yourself without soldering. You just open the Mojo and after that just plug/unplug the new battery. Its not that big of a deal if you are worried about this particullary.

There is one thing tho, Mojo doesnt have reset button, while the other devices do have.

Attachments

• Mojo Bat.jpg
    Mojo Bat.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 31
Q5s AM3D THX is definitely better, but it was $50 more and no longer available. Q5S AM3D is actually almost Fiio M11 Pro without transport (DAC/Amp part). DAC is different though but dual anyway: AK4493 vs AK4497. Amp part looks the same.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #26 of 31
Ok thanks

What do you think about the dragonfly cobalt than?

Just as a sidenote i think the battery is the first thing to fail in most things with a battery xD
I have an nvidia shield bought in 2015 and the battery is just terrible now
Also the case with old phones

szia Ákos,

Well i have had Mojo and dragonfly red to be honest both are really good. If portability is impoprtant go with the Dragonfly (cobalt is also good but from my point of view not worth the extra money over the red).
Currently i'm using Fiio Q5 which is also very good and powerfull, with the different Amp modules you can finetoon your sound.

AVX-en olvass utána vagy egy fejhallgatós topic

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 31
What does it mean to be not wired in balance? From the outside it accepts 3.5 mm headphone plug, and you assume it does not do balance because the jack is not 2.5mm or 4.4mm. Is that correct? You have not opened up the headphone to inspect the jack connection to see if there are four separate wires connecting the jack in separate locations.
Just asking.

If my suspicions are true then you may be able to make a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable to do balance by getting the wiring correctly.

I bet 1990 uses XLR type connection with only 3 pins, so it does not matter. So much to keep track of.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 31
Thank you guys i went with the mojo :wink:

But i changed headphones
I didnt like the dt1990 too much :/
Might have been very "correct" but i only listen for personal enjoyment not for work

So i have the nighthawk carbon (for gaming mostly) and planning to get something else (for vocals) as the nighthawk isnt mid-forward enough for my taste xP

Thank you for the help

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #30 of 31
Actually if you do get the Mojo, I'll suggest you get an independent high power USB power supply (BC1.2 compatible) as well. Mojo has two USB input, one purely for data and one purely for power supply (both need to be connected for desktop use). If your laptop USB ports don't have high enough power output, Mojo battery can still be drained even when connected to the laptop.

And there I am confused again. Trying to learn how to take care of my Mojo battery,
I have understood from other threads that the charger shall not be left in the Mojo for
longer periods. That charging round-the-clock will damage the battery. Also, adding the
charger while playing will cause the Mojo to become very hot which is not healthy for
(small unventilated) electronics. My Mojo has switched off when too hot.

Am I missing something? I also believed that the charging USB port is for charging only,
not intended as a channel for adding an external power supply. *)

Am I to conclude that there’s now an agreement that exchanging the battery yourself
in the Mojo is so easy and relatively cheap that one can forget about battery care and
maintenance? That would be practical for desktop applications.

*) The subject of driving Chord Mojo by an external power supply
is very interesting. Has it been done? Grateful for links to any
articles or threads. Sometimes I feel the Mojo is lacking some energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back