Anything better than SR-71 for under $400?
Nov 9, 2004 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, so much praise for this little guy. Evidently it's the "little amp that could, and then some."

There are several very well known and praised amps like the Gilmore Lite, the Corda HA1 MKII, and a decently built PPA. I have a very hard time believing that those amps aren't in the same league as the SR-71. I suppose it's just hard for me to fathom an amp designed for portable use being able to compete on such an impressive level, since most portable amps are lacking in certain ways when compared to their less portable counterparts.

I've read that the SR-71 drives just about any headphone very well and could even drive a K1000, though apparently Ray doesn't recommend it. Is the 2 x 9v configuration truly versatile and potent enough to drive anything from a Grado SR80 to a Senn HD 650 to an AKG K 501?

Basically, before I blindly pay $350-$400 for an SR-71 without hearing it, I want to make sure that it's truly the bargain that everyone claims it is and that a less expensive amp designed for home use won't be able to surpass the SR-71. Is this little portable amp really as good or better than $300-$400 home amplifiers?
confused.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 40
I would check out the gilmore lite for $299. I havent heard the sr-71 but I was extremely impressed with the lite. The lite is a true class A discrete amp design with a nice seperate power supply thats dead quiet. With the power supply there are no batteries to replace and an upgradeable power supply is available. The amp has a nice loop out feature too. Most importantly, the amp sounds excellent with great bass, well resolved mids and a very refined treble. The actual headphone module is tiny and very easy to place and the power supply can be placed almost anywhere with its long cord. Highly recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

www.headamp.com

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 40
Yeah, the Gilmore Lite was recommended to me by another member via PM several weeks ago. One aspect of the SR-71 that appeals to me is that it appears to be extremely versatile; it supposedly drives a variety of cans extremely well. Can the same be said for the Gilmore Lite, or is it better suited for a certain type of headphone in the same way that an RA-1 is most suited for driving Grados and a Rega Ear has amazing synergy with Senns?

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 40
I didn't do a head to head comparison between the sr-71 and the Gilmore Lite at the South Florida meet. I spent a lot of time with the sr-71, xp-7 and the HR-2 and the sr-71 was impressive by comparison. It is a sweet little amp. If you are looking for something that you can use at home and on the road, then this is your amp. If you are looking for a home amp only and don't want to worry about batteries, mini to mini connections then the Gilmore Lite maybe for you. I spent very little time listening to the Lite so I won't comment on the sound.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 40
Anything better than SR-71 for under $400?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that I have not tried everything else out there for less than $400, but when considering its sound quality and ultra portability, the SR-71 is in a league of its own. I've listened to a Gilmore Lite and I liked it, but prefer the SR-71. The SR-71 is more resolving and effortless.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 40
the PR with discrete buffer would trounce it ... but alas larry from larocco isnt taking orders at the moment.

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Yeah, the Gilmore Lite was recommended to me by another member via PM several weeks ago. One aspect of the SR-71 that appeals to me is that it appears to be extremely versatile; it supposedly drives a variety of cans extremely well. Can the same be said for the Gilmore Lite, or is it better suited for a certain type of headphone in the same way that an RA-1 is most suited for driving Grados and a Rega Ear has amazing synergy with Senns?

I used the lite with senn 650's and I found the combo very synergistic for the rock and blues I like. I have the very similar original gilmore v1 and it drove the beyer dt880's and all the grados well. I am sure the lite would drive those headphones equally well.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 40
I'm quite skeptical about all this SR-71 hype, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear it. I really wanna hear it.. anyone in the Vancouver area have one I can listen to? =P
Anyway, if you are using it for home use, I'm not too suitable it is since you must use 9v batteries.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 40
Trust me... it's not hype. When I first saw it I figured it would sound like my first cmoy since it was so small. Was I ever wrong! If I used one for portability I'd buy one. As it stands my XP-7 pretty much stays at home.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I would check out the gilmore lite for $299. I havent heard the sr-71 but I was extremely impressed with the lite. The lite is a true class A discrete amp design with a nice seperate power supply thats dead quiet. With the power supply there are no batteries to replace and an upgradeable power supply is available. The amp has a nice loop out feature too. Most importantly, the amp sounds excellent with great bass, well resolved mids and a very refined treble. The actual headphone module is tiny and very easy to place and the power supply can be placed almost anywhere with its long cord. Highly recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

www.headamp.com

I have (and love) both the new GL and the upgrade PS for same, and the SR-71... everything SACD lover says about the new GL+UPS (I also run a Shunyata Diamondback power cable on the GL+PS as well) is true, in spades, of the SR-71. It's much easier, in my experience, to run the SR-71 as a quasi-home unit and a great portable unit as well than it is to run the GL as anything but a home unit... the SR-71 is a tad 'blacker', with a way-low noise floor which is probably as attributable to the dual 9V power as it is the great design... the upper and lower extension, MR 'warmth', and incredible detail everywhere is a tad more developed in the SR-71, especially when using Maha/Plainview NiMh 9V rechargeables over Alkaline Duracells (I think Jahn has experienced this as well with his SR-71, at least using Plainviews)...

I recommend the SR-71 for every headphone you mention, even including the K1000's, which sound great through the SR-71, BTW.

But if your primary use will be home, perhaps you'll want to go with the GL+PS. Adding the $175.00 USD PS upgrade, which, if you go GL, I highly recommend, as it DOES make a difference, [as, among other enhancements the GL+PS upgrade provides is a higher supply current to the GL amp itself] actually makes the GL/PS combo more expensive than the SR-71, $395.00 USD vs. $474.00 USD. However, the GL is a fantastic alternative, every bit as versatile, IMO, as the SR-71 (re: a wide variety of headphones), basically the major differences come down, IMO, to different sound signatures, as noted above... you have an enviable choice to make...
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099
the PR with discrete buffer would trounce it ... but alas larry from larocco isnt taking orders at the moment.

Listened to both. SR-71 is the only one walking away from that contest...
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 40
Well, even after conceding that SR71 is probably "better" in pure sonic terms, I put in the order for SuperMacro 5 minutes ago.

Impedance/bass boost for my Ety's, as well as battery and DC operation, in such a tiny size, is basically irresistable. Opamp rolling is also fun, and since I already have OPA627, 637, 8610(and MillMax), I had to do it.

A (secret) early Christmas present to myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
I have (and love) both the new GL and the upgrade PS for same, and the SR-71... everything SACD lover says about the new GL+UPS (I also run a Shunyata Diamondback power cable on the GL+PS as well) is true, in spades, of the SR-71. It's much easier, in my experience, to run the SR-71 as a quasi-home unit and a great portable unit as well than it is to run the GL as anything but a home unit... the SR-71 is a tad 'blacker', with a way-low noise floor which is probably as attributable to the dual 9V power as it is the great design... the upper and lower extension, MR 'warmth', and incredible detail everywhere is a tad more developed in the SR-71, especially when using Maha/Plainview NiMh 9V rechargeables over Alkaline Duracells (I think Jahn has experienced this as well with his SR-71, at least using Plainviews)...

I recommend the SR-71 for every headphone you mention, even including the K1000's, which sound great through the SR-71, BTW.

But if your primary use will be home, perhaps you'll want to go with the GL+PS. Adding the $175.00 USD PS upgrade, which, if you go GL, I highly recommend, as it DOES make a difference, [as, among other enhancements the GL+PS upgrade provides is a higher supply current to the GL amp itself] actually makes the GL/PS combo more expensive than the SR-71, $395.00 USD vs. $474.00 USD. However, the GL is a fantastic alternative, every bit as versatile, IMO, as the SR-71 (re: a wide variety of headphones), basically the major differences come down, IMO, to different sound signatures, as noted above... you have an enviable choice to make...
icon10.gif

Thanks for the excellent reply! That helps me out. I agree that between the two, it would probably boil down to a preference of sound signatures. Which amp provides more detail and musicality? I tend to think of the SR-71 as being more musical and sweet sounding, yet many people say it simply does its job very well and gets out of the way of the music. My impression of the GL is that it's very fast and transparent but also perhaps a bit lifeless--not that it makes the music sound dull by any means, but rather it doesn't have the character that Ray's amps have. A lot of people talk about the Ray "house sound" and how they greatly enjoy it. I'm not sure that the Gilmore has a house sound...perhaps it does, but I never seem to see people raving about it. I mainly see people discussing the speed and energy that the GL has, but I wonder if those qualities combined with Grados would be too much. With Senns, it sounds like a perfect balance.

Ah, what to do, what to do. Both seem like great amps. I really wish I could test both of them without having to front an initial $800 outlay of cash. I just don't want to pick the "wrong one" (for me) and end up regretting it. I'm on a college budget here, and the last thing I want to do is to drop $400 on an amp and wish I had gotten another one. The fact is, I'd probably be happy with either since I'm coming from no amp at all, but I always research big purchases so that I feel like I've done the best I can do for the money. I know they can be resold and the SR-71 especially is in pretty high demand, but I'd rather do it right the first time. Though...wouldn't we all? Well, I guess not--for some people, the journey to audio nirvana IS the experience and the fun of this hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Well, even after conceding that SR71 is probably "better" in pure sonic terms, I put in the order for SuperMacro 5 minutes ago.

Impedance/bass boost for my Ety's, as well as battery and DC operation, in such a tiny size, is basically irresistable. Opamp rolling is also fun, and since I already have OPA627, 637, 8610(and MillMax), I had to do it.

A (secret) early Christmas present to myself
smily_headphones1.gif

The SuperMacro does seem intriguing. I like the idea of being able to customize the sound through opamp rolling...bass boost could be a nice feature for cans like the K 501 and an impedance switch could be useful as well with certain cans. And with the dual power you get the best of both worlds...if only the SR-71 had an AC option and the GL had a battery option!

Has anyone actually gotten the truth from Ray about why there is no AC option for the SR-71? I know it's geared toward being a portable amp and it already does what it does very well, but I see quite a few people longing for an AC option with this amp. Perhaps his goal was to provide the best sound possible under a $400 price point, but I wouldn't think a port for an external adapter would add that much to the cost...it usually doesn't with builders like Norm. Any specific reason for the omission of adapter use? Perhaps its a very clever marketing scheme, and it could be that Ray feels that anyone who feels the need to plug one of his amps into a wall for power would be better served by stepping up to one of the SR-71's big brothers. Not that that's a bad thing, but we as consumers love options--they are always welcome! And I'm not talking about the "option" to go with either an SR-71, an XP-7, an HR-2 or a Stealth.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
The SuperMacro does seem intriguing. I like the idea of being able to customize the sound through opamp rolling...bass boost could be a nice feature for cans like the K 501 and an impedance switch could be useful as well with certain cans. And with the dual power you get the best of both worlds...if only the SR-71 had an AC option and the GL had a battery option!

Has anyone actually gotten the truth from Ray about why there is no AC option for the SR-71? I know it's geared toward being a portable amp and it already does what it does very well, but I see quite a few people longing for an AC option with this amp. Perhaps his goal was to provide the best sound possible under a $400 price point, but I wouldn't think a port for an external adapter would add that much to the cost...it usually doesn't with builders like Norm. Any specific reason for the omission of adapter use? Perhaps its a very clever marketing scheme, and it could be that Ray feels that anyone who feels the need to plug one of his amps into a wall for power would be better served by stepping up to one of the SR-71's big brothers. Not that that's a bad thing, but we as consumers love options--they are always welcome! And I'm not talking about the "option" to go with either an SR-71, an XP-7, an HR-2 or a Stealth.
wink.gif

There is no "truth" as to why the SR-71 has no AC option. If you do a search you'll find that right around the time the XP-7 debuted people were wishing it was smaller and had 1/8 jacks. Ray never even considered (his own words) the AC option because nobody asked about it when they were asking for a smaller amp.

Anyway,Ray has always stated his displeasure with the quality of the currently available wall wart power supplies and this is specific reason he builds his own power supplies. He once considered building a wall wart that could be used with many different products,perhaps you guys can convince him to follow through with that project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back