anything better than iAudio X5 for sound quality?
Oct 16, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tha_dude

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers

Up until now I've been using the iAudio U2 but am now looking for something better sound quality wise. I've heard a lot of good things about the iAudio X5 series but considering that the X5 is a couple years old, is there anything else out there right now with better sound quality?

Feel free to suggest any other players (both flash and HDD).

Thanks

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 19
With Rockbox I think it's a pretty tight market.. the only real competitors I'd consider would be:
iPod 5G / Nano (with Rockbox; without it I think they're utter crap personally)
iRiver H100
iRiver H300
Rio Karma

I seriously wouldn't consider anything else. I've always found myself coming back to the X5 for its amazingly clean, full, and neutral sound (bear in mind, this is with Rockbox which I prefer over the standard firmware; the standard firmware is darker in comparison which is perfectly fine for many) with a very low, if not absent, level of background noise/hiss (through experience, I can't say the same for the suggestions I've listed; though I've never tested the Rio Karma).

If you're set on getting an X5 and don't mind the shortcomings of its outdated screen, I don't really think there's any convincing functional reason not to take the plunge. It's a great audio player any way you look at it, and always has been.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 19
Sony HD 5 has pretty good sound, argueably beter than the iAudio X5. iRiver tends to be on the same level as iAudio. but I think the X5 is the best balacne between performance, features, and sound quality. Owning, a creative zen vision M, I can say that the srs WOW on the iRivers can probvide amazing clarity or a 3D feel, its up to your personal prefrence onthat one.

Otherwise you can get the Kenwood HD20-GA7. Its got a built in amp........
Word is that t has amzing sound quality but is made of bad qualty and dumb navigation. Also less features and expensive. I think 20 gig was around 400 6 months ago.

Finally, there is the Monolith II, MX 7000 or other of Monolith's players. They have one of the best sound chips nowadays and offers most of teh features. No color screen or video. Radio, voce record, clocketc are included. It also looks pretty damn cool.

If it were up to me, I would get the iAudio X5 since it has really good sound, lotsa features (like ogg) and you can get them for pretty cheap on the internet. Unless you don't care about features, then get the sony.
..and if memory isn't an issue, the wolfson's would be my first flash mp3 player pick.

ps, if you decide to get X5, consier the X5L, 20 soem battery life but its fat, like the Creative ZVM fat.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
With Rockbox I think it's a pretty tight market.. the only real competitors I'd consider would be:
iPod 5G / Nano (with Rockbox; without it I think they're utter crap personally)
iRiver H100
iRiver H300
Rio Karma

I seriously wouldn't consider anything else. I've always found myself coming back to the X5 for its amazingly clean, full, and neutral sound (bear in mind, this is with Rockbox which I prefer over the standard firmware; the standard firmware is darker in comparison which is perfectly fine for many) with a very low, if not absent, level of background noise/hiss (through experience, I can't say the same for the suggestions I've listed; though I've never tested the Rio Karma).

If you're set on getting an X5 and don't mind the shortcomings of its outdated screen, I don't really think there's any convincing functional reason not to take the plunge. It's a great audio player any way you look at it, and always has been.

thanks for your impressions. i'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the X5L but I can't help but wonder if Cowon will come out with the X5 successor since it's already been over a year since the X5 series release. have you heard anything about that? it seems lately Cowon has been churning out PMP type devices

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlin58
Sony HD 5 has pretty good sound, argueably beter than the iAudio X5. iRiver tends to be on the same level as iAudio. but I think the X5 is the best balacne between performance, features, and sound quality. Owning, a creative zen vision M, I can say that the srs WOW on the iRivers can probvide amazing clarity or a 3D feel, its up to your personal prefrence onthat one.

Otherwise you can get the Kenwood HD20-GA7. Its got a built in amp........
Word is that t has amzing sound quality but is made of bad qualty and dumb navigation. Also less features and expensive. I think 20 gig was around 400 6 months ago.

Finally, there is the Monolith II, MX 7000 or other of Monolith's players. They have one of the best sound chips nowadays and offers most of teh features. No color screen or video. Radio, voce record, clocketc are included. It also looks pretty damn cool.

If it were up to me, I would get the iAudio X5 since it has really good sound, lotsa features (like ogg) and you can get them for pretty cheap on the internet. Unless you don't care about features, then get the sony.
..and if memory isn't an issue, the wolfson's would be my first flash mp3 player pick.

ps, if you decide to get X5, consier the X5L, 20 soem battery life but its fat, like the Creative ZVM fat.

thanks for the suggestions. based on some web reviews the Sony does appear to have great sound but like all the other Sony players it's stuck with that awful Sony software so I'll probably pass on the Sony. the thickness of the X5L does bother me a little bit but nothings perfect i guess. would be nice if they could at least eliminate that "bump" on the upper half of the X5L body though..

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 19
Just to add my 2 cents.... I have used the iAudio G3 and I currently have a sony HD5... The iAudio sound is great, and it has many effects you may use to adjust the sound to your preference... however, I prefer the sound of the HD5, I also have a sony Hi-MD RH1 and the sound if amazing to my ears.... the drag and drop of cowon is the best, but sonictage 4.0 is pretty darn good... has never crashed on my computer..... and HD-5 has great form factor and battery life....

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 19
zen vision M - best sounding DAP I've ever heard (and I owned both the Karma/X5)

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger
Just to add my 2 cents.... I have used the iAudio G3 and I currently have a sony HD5... The iAudio sound is great, and it has many effects you may use to adjust the sound to your preference... however, I prefer the sound of the HD5, I also have a sony Hi-MD RH1 and the sound if amazing to my ears.... the drag and drop of cowon is the best, but sonictage 4.0 is pretty darn good... has never crashed on my computer..... and HD-5 has great form factor and battery life....

cool, glad you like it. sound quality is the first thing i look for and i'm sure SonicStage has improved but i really don't like the idea of having to install software just to transfer files and do everything else..personally i think Sony would sell a lot more players if they get rid of SonicStage. At the same time I know that won't happen anytime soon because of Sony's considerable involvement in the music industry.

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 19
I don't know how big your collections is. Once you get past a certain point. The software and ability to manage your collection between the computer and your dap becomes important.

Most people would never buy a car based solely on its top end speed. While many start and end a dap conversation on sound. Sound is important, but I would never trade for a "perceived" sound improvement in a dap that is extremely hard to use or has an unfriendly music browser.

Most high-end daps have good chip sets. I am more and more convinced that much of the "alleged" sound qualities of one dap over the other has more to do with equalizer colorization than with the qualities of the dap.

It is very easy to trick the ears. Turning up the volume makes one dap "sound" better than an other. Bottom line, if you like: (1) Build Quality; (2) Sound Quality; and (3) Software, then buy the iAudio X5.

Otherwise, continue looking. Within reason, all the top dap's are close in sound quality under most conditions.

Oct 17, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #11 of 19
To be fair, I think all players with Rockbox sound reasonably equal. The only thing I've noticed is that the X5 seems to have less background noise than the iPod or iRiver. This is only a real factor for high-sensitivity headphones.

With my current level of enjoyment I'm pretty sure I won't be considering a future player unless Rockbox support for it is existant or likely.

New players from Cowon were reported to be released this month. I wouldn't hold out later than November to purchase one.

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Does anyone know if the new iAudio products have new chipsets? there has been some speculation that the F2 is a redesigned U3.

the Meizu M6 looks rather interesting. it's gotten quite a bit of praise for its sound quality even though the firmware could use a tad more work. anyone have any firsthand experience or A/B comparisons to share?

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
dapreview

thanks, i saw the review too. Any head-fiers have experience with the M6?

The Samsung T9 looks pretty good on paper. I've only seen the Cnet review of it where the biggest fault seems to be the mandatory use of the SVI codec to play video but I don't really plan on much, if any, video use on a DAP. It seems Samsung players make you use Windows Media Player 10 to transfer files but I heard that Samsung players are now UMS? Can anyone confirm this?

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 19
ha_dude says:
Quote:

thanks, i saw the review too. Any head-fiers have experience with the M6?

I believe one or two members have the M6. I believe they got them in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back