Anyone with recs for >17" LCD???
May 26, 2003 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
After working for a bit at a friends place where he had two monitors set up, I am sold! The functionality is just amazing... so... am planning on connecting two LCD panels to my PC for work (don't have the desk space for CRTs).

In that vein, am looking for decent sized LCD monitors (> 17") that handle video and text well in a Windows environment. Crisp text is an absolute must. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Am planning on getting an ATI All In Wonder 9700 graphics card, although if there are other suggestions for the card, please let me know.

Yeah, I know this is a headphone site. But, after reviewing the comments from places like CNET, seems like the professional reviewers were dealing with much different product than that sold in most stores. Would appreciate whatever folks can provide.

Thanks!

Bruce

May 26, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 11
I got an NEC MultiSync LCD1830 about a year ago and love this thing to death. A deep monitor just won't work on my desk, so the LCD was a total blessing. It is great for text at it's native 1280x1024, and, like all LCDs, sucks at anything less. They are meant to run at their native resolution only.

I also saw a Mitsubishi at BestBuy or such a while ago that was incredibly bright and very crisp.

Those reviews generally pick the most expensive components, but I got mine for way cheaper and can't complain at all.

May 26, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 11
if money is no option, get the apple monitors. those things are absolutely beautiful. I'm pretty sure you can hook it up to a pc even though it's an apple. I think you need some kind of dvi cable or something. It's stunning.

May 26, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Apple's flat-panel displays are simply the best on the market; however, to use one with a Windows PC you need an ADC -> DVI adapter.

As for other brands, Dell's 1800FP has got to be the best bargain in flat-panel-land. If you wait for one of their flat-panel sales and use one of their ubiquitous coupons, you can get a great deal. We got one for <$370!

May 26, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 11
APPLE 23" CINEMA DISPLAY!!!!

I've seen one in person. It is a truly awesome thing to behold, and caused an on-the-spot Tuberoller Syndrome. (see his description of recieving gear prior to the Chicago Meet.)

May 26, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd recommend to consider the LG Flatron 1810A - it's a fairly nicely designed 18,1" model with 1280 x 1024 pixel native resolution, fast 25 ms panel, very wide viewing angle and a crisp image. Very nice: It's got three video inputs (VGA analog, DVI-D and S-Video/composite video) and comes with a lot of cables and even a remote control. Very convenient: It's got a separate source selector button on the front (so changing the input doesn't require going through multiple osd menu layers) and a pip (picture-in-picture) function (also with a separate button). Autosyncing with analog signals seems to work fairly precisely, so there's almost no hassle with adjustments. Suggested retail price over here is 1099 Euro (incl. 16 % VAT).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 26, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the replies all. The Apple Cinema display is simply amazing! In fact, that was one of the monitors that I had seen in the two monitor setup. Just lovely. Unfortunately, they prefer to be in a Mac (G4) environment and unfortunately, money IS a consideration.
rolleyes.gif

Will check the other suggestions.

Thanks!

Bruce

May 26, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 11
I use a couple of Dell 18/19" and a few Iiyama 17/19" LCD monitors. I can recommend Iiyama for quality with value, and Dell for value. I don't use analog inputs on any but the games PC but Dell seem to have worked at the analog sync better than Iiyama. The Dells also do fairly well at non-optimum resolutions.
If your set-up is twin digital, then get Iiyama. If it's digital/analogue, I recommend Dell.

May 26, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 11
BDA_ABAT, If you are doin dual displays the Radeon 9700 AIW is not for you seeing as how it only has one DVI port. Try a regular 9700pro, or if you dont need gaming support the Matrox Pharelia has triple monitor support.
-Mag

May 27, 2003 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you Mag!!!!

Had read several reviews of the 9700 Pro and 9700 AIW... many reviews suggested going for the AIW since it's only a bit more expensive than the 9700 Pro and comes with a bunch more goodies. Thanks for pointing out it can only display one monitor!!!

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back